The Woolworths Thread (17 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
We have this one regular who always brings his basket to the front counter. Regardless of whether it's busy or completely dead, this is extremely annoying.
I might start sendng people back if I am not in the mood from now on. But yes, so many god damn people do it!

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
We have this one regular who always brings his basket to the front counter. Regardless of whether it's busy or completely dead, this is extremely annoying.
I might start sendng people back if I am not in the mood from now on. But yes, so many god damn people do it!
tbh and im not having a go.. why didnt you/they do that the 1st time?

its a bit like the rice and coke boxes i tell them to put it back in the trolley.. if they dont do it it can stay on the counter for all i care... im not putting my back nd shoulders out cause they cant follow a simple ohs procedure.. but if you tell them once they tend to remember.. which i've noticed with a few people ive served multiple times

HSC
I'd complain about him or refuse to serve him....he sounds like a douche

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
tbh and im not having a go.. why didnt you/they do that the 1st time?
Because it's not 'toooo' big of a deal, just very annoying, and most of the time it's not worth arguing with them about it so I just serve them. If i'm pissed off, then no. it's not going to happen.

BTW it could also been seen as 'refusing service', which is a BIG NO NO in our store. Supervisors have been counseled for this in the past, and CSM writes it in our communication book often. So, in a sense, if the customer took it further, no doubt i'd get in trouble, even though registers are readily available.

Works both ways :(

britto89

HSC
Because it's not 'toooo' big of a deal, just very annoying, and most of the time it's not worth arguing with them about it so I just serve them. If i'm pissed off, then no. it's not going to happen.

BTW it could also been seen as 'refusing service', which is a BIG NO NO in our store. Supervisors have been counseled for this in the past, and CSM writes it in our communication book often. So, in a sense, if the customer took it further, no doubt i'd get in trouble, even though registers are readily available.

Works both ways :(
It depends, i've only ever had to refuse service in liquor for people not having ID. I wouldn't hesitate to refuse service to someone though if they were incredibly rude. I've warned customers before for using strong language in the store around other customers, particularly mothers with children. I'd also step in if i saw a fellow staff member being heavily spoken down to by a customer. if it came to it i'd have no trouble in asking them to leave. sacrificing one customer is nothing if it means a better work environment and shopping environment for other customers. when i've had slightly rude customers on registers and finished serving them the next customer has said something along the lines of "Whats up their bum"

britto

TG Fan

HSC
N/A
Our smoke shop is right behind the express lane, so whoever is on express also has to do the smoke shop.....pain in the ass, but it's do-able.

We have customers who will bi-pass the express line completely and cut in line and take their goods to the smoke shop while there are other customers in express. When they do this I politely tell them, and this is what we have been told, that once they go through the checkouts with groceries that have not been paid for and have not been given prior approval it is classed as shop lifting. I also politely explain to them and point out the camera that is pointed in their direction. A few times I have customers say they have done it before and try and put up a stink, but I stay calm and forceful and they back off. They usually don't do it again and I have noticed more and more customers asking permission to go to the smoke shop now.

My main gripe is that the previous CSM allowed customers go through express with full trolleys, which totally screws up the momentum of the whole concept of express....AND having to deal with the smoke shop too. Since I have been on checkouts I have been "re-training" customers and only allowing express style amounts through.....if it fits in a basket it can come through. If there is a large order, and I will have some customers try and sneak in, I will stop them from loading on the belt and tell them I will call someone to open a checkout. It's SO much easier doing it this way. By the time the larger load has gone through one operator I have served at least 10 happy express customers.

I had one customers yell and point his finger at me when he rolled up with a HUGE trolley load to the express lane. I told him that it was express and to please got to checkout 4, which was empty. He yell and pointed his finger at me, "THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE BEEN KNOCKED BACK!" And I said, "Well, this has always been an express lane and it always will be! 8 items or less!!" When he was done loading he was standing at his checkout and look over to see my express lane packed with customers with smaller orders. To think what would have happened if I would have taken him......the stares I would have gotten....eeek!

britto89

HSC
Our smoke shop is right behind the express lane, so whoever is on express also has to do the smoke shop.....pain in the ass, but it's do-able.
Soo jealous. I used to love our express and service desk when it was all integrated. By having one queue like a bank it meant people were served in correct order. Made it easier to quickly open and close express registers, meant the supervisor could easily serve a customer or two on a register but quickly get off to do a service call. This was of course also when you could only do phone credit with the ePay unit and that smokes could be sold from any register.

britto

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I don't know why it is so hard for customers to understand the concept of express. In our store there are 3 signs (big signs, not small ones) stating that express is 9 ITEMS OR LESS, and it annoys me when people then ask "Oh is this only express?" But they don't ask the question until they start unloading their mountain of products.

In fact they should put a limit to the amount of items that can be served through an express POS system...that way there would be no way to allow customers to do it.

HSC
It is 15 items or less at my store. GRR to those who think Its funny to come through with 100 items and then realise oh its express! You dumb fucks

timw7845

HSC
It is 15 items or less at my store. GRR to those who think Its funny to come through with 100 items and then realise oh its express! You dumb fucks
i served someone with like 42 items in express cause she thought it was convienient that noone was around at the time...

it was my 2nd day and she was like 80 so i didnt have the heart to tell her to piss off..

brookie94

HSC
In fact they should put a limit to the amount of items that can be served through an express POS system...that way there would be no way to allow customers to do it.
THIS is what i want to happen!!! that way we could tell them to piss off! our express is 15 items or less but ive served people with 70/80 items:chainsaw:
i dont mind if you have like 20 even though thats a pain!! do people not understand we have no space to serve them with more than 15 items?! the POS should stop letting us scan items at 20 or something.. that would be so much better, it would make express flow so much better as well

HSC
THIS is what i want to happen!!! that way we could tell them to piss off! our express is 15 items or less but ive served people with 70/80 items:chainsaw:
i dont mind if you have like 20 even though thats a pain!! do people not understand we have no space to serve them with more than 15 items?! the POS should stop letting us scan items at 20 or something.. that would be so much better, it would make express flow so much better as well
Yes! sounds so good to do! I reckon they should implement that, has anyone done new produce id on the pos system?

bdude

HSC
With express item counts, do you mind if it's say a larger number of small items like 20 kiwi fruits or something like that plus some other items? I guess it's not so bad for us because we still have a quantity button :p

britto89

HSC
you dont get quantity unless you have supervisor privilages
Fruit and veg thats priced, per each instead of per kg has an automatic prompt asking for a quantity (defaulted at 1). So if you scan an melon or lookup a melon on the screens it pops up a box to type in a quantity, or accept the default or 1x.

The flag in backoffice to make an item prompt for a quantity is in Item File Maintance > POS options or something like that.

britto

HSC
Yea, quantity is only allowed with supervisors. Well, I've gotten idiots with like 37 cans of cat food (the small ones) in express before. I don't know whether to turn them away or not but generally, if it's more than 15 and they still insist on coming through (they tend to be very pissy about you not serving them when they have like 16-20 items), I circle the number of items they had on their receipt. The message probably won't go through though. And YES, I have thought of having the POS system stop at 15 items no matter what and they have to queue up again. :D That'll teach them. :)

timw7845

HSC
Fruit and veg thats priced, per each instead of per kg has an automatic prompt asking for a quantity (defaulted at 1). So if you scan an melon or lookup a melon on the screens it pops up a box to type in a quantity, or accept the default or 1x.

The flag in backoffice to make an item prompt for a quantity is in Item File Maintance > POS options or something like that.

britto
i should know that shouldnt i.. *facepalm*

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
killer-cupcakes;5156903my groceries 2IC [B said:
started at 7 and he was trying to get out at 4pm[/B], But he didn't, me and him get along really well :)
And so he shouldn't have, lol. That seems like a reeally short day for someone who (I presume!) is salaried, lol.

SO today I was on the phone for roughly an hour to this guy at Norwest. BIG SHIT GOING DOWN! (Ok, there isn't big shit going down, but it sounded good, ok??)
He is actually kind of gorgeous irl, and now he is coming out to our store TOMORROW to deal with some issues which I discussed with him.
It is my day off tomorrow.
*facepalm*

(ITT: Liz talks about random guys who she perves on, on occasion)

britto89

HSC
There doesn't need to be and will never be a limit on the amount of items in a sale to limit express people. What there does need to be is a national standard across all stores and signs to go with it saying that express is, XX items or less.

I've always went on having it 12 items or less, i can't ever remember being formally told. But there are no signs and it varies all over the place from whats been said recently in the forum. Next time i'm in at work i'll have a look on storenet. If it was the same everywhere and we had signs it makes it easier to refuse people through express and direct them to self serve or a lane.

Britto

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)