The Woolworths Thread (50 Viewers)

BSammy

HSC
I don't think so. To be paid for the monday, while closed, you'd either need to take the PA or annual or other toil.

also my SSO said flex up doesn't count. the "ordinarily rostered" might actually mean what it says.

nanakid12

HSC
I asked one of the other supervisors today if I'll get paid public holiday rates for the Saturday... she told me "no, cos the public holiday for Australia Day is the Monday".

I sort of didn't argue... because I am 99% sure we will be closed on the Monday... but how could I argue if I wanted to? Although they would probably be majorly pissed at me.

Fireworkss

HSC
Ok guys, I need your help... I'm desperate for a job and an ad for deli work 5 min from my house just popped up.

What sort of things should I do to maximise my chances of landing the job? I've answered all the online questions but not sure if I chose the answers they were after for a couple. Should I call them up personally, ask for the manager and ask them directly for the job or should I just wait. Mind you my record with applying for jobs at woolies have to been pretty terrible, I've been rejected probably 5 times now.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I asked one of the other supervisors today if I'll get paid public holiday rates for the Saturday... she told me "no, cos the public holiday for Australia Day is the Monday".

I sort of didn't argue... because I am 99% sure we will be closed on the Monday... but how could I argue if I wanted to? Although they would probably be majorly pissed at me.
A supervisor is just a random nuffy with as much knowledge as you and me, ask your service manager.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Don't know if its still the case, but back when I worked there the supervisor is right, it would only be the Monday that was the public holiday pay (however iirc this caused the union to kick up a stink and argue both should be public holidays dunno how far they got with that tho)

nanakid12

HSC
A supervisor is just a random nuffy with as much knowledge as you and me, ask your service manager.
I suppose... I'll ask him next time I work :) I lost my piece of paper which explained the changes with the new agreement.

Don't know if its still the case, but back when I worked there the supervisor is right, it would only be the Monday that was the public holiday pay (however iirc this caused the union to kick up a stink and argue both should be public holidays dunno how far they got with that tho)
Oh okay. Hmmmm...

I've been reading this that BSammy posted up there...

"7.4.1 If a full-time or part-time employee is ordinarily rostered to work on the actual public
holiday and the substituted day, then that employee shall elect which day shall be the
public holiday and receive the standard public holiday benefits on that day."
I'm not contracted to that Saturday. I guess that "ordinarily" term means that this doesn't apply to me then?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
According to the new agreement, PPT and FT employees do get rates on the actual public holiday if they choose.

7.4 SUBSTITUTED DAYS
Where a store opens for trade on an actual public holiday which has had the substitution provision of sub clause 7.2 applied, the following shall apply:

7.4.1 If a full-time or part-time employee is ordinarily rostered to work on the actual public holiday and the substituted day, then that employee shall elect which day shall be the public holiday and receive the standard public holiday benefits on that day. The other day shall then be a normal rostered day subject to paragraph 7.4.4 below. If the employee elects for the Public Holiday under this Agreement to be on a day which is not a public holiday under the Fair Work Act 2009 (or, in 2009, the Workplace Relations Act 1996) then the employee will also be regarded as having agreed to substitute the holiday under the legislation to the day so elected.

7.4.2 If a weekly employee is rostered to work on the actual public holiday and not the substituted day, the employee shall receive the standard public holiday benefits on the actual day.

7.4.3 If a full time or part time employee is rostered to work on the substituted day and not the actual Public Holiday, the employee shall receive the public holiday benefits on the substituted day.

7.4.4 In the case of Christmas Day where substitution occurs, work on the 25th December will attract an additional loading of half a normal day's wage for a full day's work in addition to the Saturday/Sunday rate and the employee will also be entitled to the benefits of the substituted public holiday.

7.4.5 Casual employees employed on the actual day of the prescribed holiday shall be paid at the normal rate for the day and be paid the relevant holiday rate for the substituted day.

7.4.6 "Actual public holiday" means the day that would otherwise be a public holiday if substitution as provided in sub clause 7.2 had not occurred.

DEFINITIONS

1.6.1 Weekly Employee
Means a full-time or part-time employee.

Fireworkss

HSC
Ok guys, I need your help... I'm desperate for a job and an ad for deli at local woolies popped up.

What sort of things should I do to maximise my chances of landing the job? I've answered all the online questions but not sure if I chose the answers they were after for a couple. Should I call them up personally, ask for the manager and ask them directly for the job or should I just wait.

Mind you my record with applying for jobs at woolies have to been pretty terrible, I've been rejected probably 5 times now.

Cheers!

cuteyazn

HSC
Hi guys, I was just reading my roster for the next week or so, and I saw that on one of my rostered days, it says the time and under it, it says this "BIGW-STO-CAS-NPH", so I would like to know what exactly does this mean

Thanks for the help

BSammy

HSC
Was it for Sat 26th or Mon 28th?

I don't know specifically, but NPH sounds like it could have something to with a public holiday.

cuteyazn

HSC
Was it for Sat 26th or Mon 28th?

I don't know specifically, but NPH sounds like it could have something to with a public holiday.
Its for the 28th but I would also be working on the 26th as well, and it doesnt say it for that day nor did it say it on the roster where I have a shift on new years day which is also a public holiday

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
My guess is it's a comment about what rates to pay you for the actual public holiday and substituted public holiday. Why not ring your office clerk now and ask?

nanakid12

HSC
Finally got the new pin pads. So much quicker.

Do you reckon my CSM will hate me if I work that Australia Day (Saturday) shift and asked to be paid double time and a half afterwards? Is there an online copy of the new agreement which I can print off? (EDIT: DW found the online copy)

the way to go

HSC
NPH = National Public Holiday
does it not?

at my store they want us to do an adjustment on the day that we want the 2.5

got told this morning that we were asked by head office to start closing our SCO at 9pm, they looked at the sales records, over 1000 between 9 and close every night just on sco, then our manager told head office to shove it haha

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
got told this morning that we were asked by head office to start closing our SCO at 9pm, they looked at the sales records, over 1000 between 9 and close every night just on sco, then our manager told head office to shove it haha
Hahahhaha. Oh head office. That would be an absolute nightmare for you guys if that was shut down, as you'd lose a staff member for the hour of trading (plus half an hour after close), and (another) register would need to be open, so you would effectively lose 2 staff members you have now by leaving self serve open.

Finally got the new pin pads. So much quicker.

Do you reckon my CSM will hate me if I work that Australia Day (Saturday) shift and asked to be paid double time and a half afterwards? Is there an online copy of the new agreement which I can print off? (EDIT: DW found the online copy)
Don't feel bad. I'm just going to write on the adjustment "PAY SUPERVISION - PUBLIC HOLIDAY". As part timers we must be paid rates on the Saturday if we don't work Monday and want it on the Saturday.

nanakid12

HSC
Don't feel bad. I'm just going to write on the adjustment "PAY SUPERVISION - PUBLIC HOLIDAY". As part timers we must be paid rates on the Saturday if we don't work Monday and want it on the Saturday.
Are you contracted to that Saturday though?

I've swapped my usual Saturday (the one that just went, which I do fortnightly) with one of the other supervisors Saturday's (Australia Day), cos they need to have it off, and they've done some really weird thing where I am getting paid as if I supervised on the Saturday that just went, and she is getting paid as if she were just an operator with next week's pay. It's really confusing, but apparently they had to do it like this otherwise she would have gone over her 38 hours for this week. (or whatever the maximum is, when she would have been paid overtime)

So I am NOT contracted to this Saturday (the 26th)... but I am still working it, and getting paid for it with the previous week's pay, which we get on 23rd.

The other supervisor worked my usual Saturday (the 19th)... but is not getting paid for it until next week's pay, which we get on the 30th.

Make sense? Ha

Would they just put that extra holiday pay in my next lot of wages? Or is it a "to bad so sad" deal.

If they say no, I should just demand to be back-paid for all the hour breaks I've supervised for over the years, not like they keep a record of that though ha.

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
I asked my SDA representative today, she told me that that doesn't apply to our store, because our store only trades 6-days, and that part of the agreement was written with 7-day trading in mind.

Somehow that affects it.

Bugger :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)