The Woolworths Thread (7 Viewers)

nanakid12

HSC
Does anyone else register people's rewards cards for them on the everyday portal?

Was doing it for some crabby old snob today. So sick of people complaining about having to put their phone number in. Jesus fucking Christ, it won't kill you.

Although I just get stumped for words when people say "I'm not giving you my phone number!"
I told one guy a few weeks ago "Well then I can't register you for this program, sorry."

Yeah that didn't pan down to well. "What, so you've just wasted all that time FOR NOTHING?!?!" I Called the manager and left the scene, don't know what he did but he ended up registering.

I don't seem to deal with conflict very well... did I handle that properly? I forgot to ask him, but what would the manager have done to convince him to sign, do you think?

That made me feel a bit shitty today, wouldn't say it was the greatest shift :(

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Before giving up, you could try a few things like "EDR needs your phone number for confirmation of certain things. For example, if you win a competition or you need a to be sent a new card. This won't be used to call you for other reasons or be given to anybody else or for telemarketing".

The more you talk, the more inclined they are to give you the number. If they refuse, then either tell them you can't do anything or call the manager.

Tragesty

HSC
Quick question once again haha; I'm hoping to take 2 weeks off for my uni exams come November (assuming they span over a 2 week period), and I'll need a week off after that due to dental surgery. Anyways, point being, if I apply for unpaid leave (I have a total of 5 hours of annul leave...) of 3 weeks, can work refuse? I don't really know what my rights are in this regard. I'm aiming to provide them approximately 30 days notice and will require 3 weeks off (I only work contracted 10 hours per week). Any help on whether I'd be allowed to do so would be appreciated :) Apologies if this is a silly question.

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
Before giving up, you could try a few things like "EDR needs your phone number for confirmation of certain things. For example, if you win a competition or you need a to be sent a new card. This won't be used to call you for other reasons or be given to anybody else or for telemarketing".

The more you talk, the more inclined they are to give you the number. If they refuse, then either tell them you can't do anything or call the manager.
Nice tip! I remember hearing that customers get entered into a monthly competition every time they scan their card... does this still happen, do you know? That would be a good way to promote it.

I'm surprised though that they won't use it for telemarketing... I thought part of the point of these "rewards program's" was to collect data on the customers and sell that data to advertisers?
Basing my knowledge on an NCIS episode about telemarketing of course haha. The episode is "Doppleganger".

britto89

HSC
Quick question once again haha; I'm hoping to take 2 weeks off for my uni exams come November (assuming they span over a 2 week period), and I'll need a week off after that due to dental surgery. Anyways, point being, if I apply for unpaid leave (I have a total of 5 hours of annul leave...) of 3 weeks, can work refuse? I don't really know what my rights are in this regard. I'm aiming to provide them approximately 30 days notice and will require 3 weeks off (I only work contracted 10 hours per week). Any help on whether I'd be allowed to do so would be appreciated :) Apologies if this is a silly question.
I would put in a form for two weeks of study leave and one week of annual at half pay to cover the dentist.

nanakid12

HSC
Does anyone know how it would be possible for a register to be OVER $250 in the cheque category?

This is the case for one of our registers somehow. Frontend is getting blamed for it, because the register is OVER for $250 (well its actually something like $257.31, with dollars AND cents), however there is no cheque that was processed for that amount. We also looked up Electronic Journal for that day, and there was 1 transaction processed that day with a cheque, but that was a different amount, and has gone through properly and they actually have the cheque.

Is this likely to be an error that the office has done? I would think so, but they seem pretty confident it is frontend at fault. And I was supervising the night that it happened, so I'm a bit worried about the ramifications for me.

Also, has anyone been having trouble with Prepaid master cards lately?

Cheers.

oldmanjoe

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know how it would be possible for a register to be OVER $250 in the cheque category?

This is the case for one of our registers somehow. Frontend is getting blamed for it, because the register is OVER for $250 (well its actually something like $257.31, with dollars AND cents), however there is no cheque that was processed for that amount. We also looked up Electronic Journal for that day, and there was 1 transaction processed that day with a cheque, but that was a different amount, and has gone through properly and they actually have the cheque.

Is this likely to be an error that the office has done? I would think so, but they seem pretty confident it is frontend at fault. And I was supervising the night that it happened, so I'm a bit worried about the ramifications for me.

Also, has anyone been having trouble with Prepaid master cards lately?

Cheers.
Hi,

This would most definitely be an error that the office has made.

It would have been a cheque that was not processed by the SSA in the pickups.

Hope this clears things up,

oldmanjoe

nanakid12

HSC
Well, it's actually OVER. Not under. If it hasn't been processed, then the spot check would say -1 cheque -$257.31. But it's a positive value.

And also, there was No cheque for that amount ever processed. We looked up all the tender types processed on that register, and there was only one Cheque that was put through, and it was the one that went through properly. There is no record of this other mysterious cheque which supposedly they cannot find.

I think it's the office's fault, tbh.

BSammy

HSC
it definately wasn't from another register but picked up at that one?

or they picked up the cheque that does exist but for totally the wrong amount?

unless someone did a tender swap very badly this sounds like an office problem.

it'll be gone by tomorrow so whatever.

oldmanjoe

HSC
N/A
Well, it's actually OVER. Not under. If it hasn't been processed, then the spot check would say -1 cheque -$257.31. But it's a positive value.

And also, there was No cheque for that amount ever processed. We looked up all the tender types processed on that register, and there was only one Cheque that was put through, and it was the one that went through properly. There is no record of this other mysterious cheque which supposedly they cannot find.

I think it's the office's fault, tbh.
If the register is under in the Cheque value, that would mean that a cheque was not processed by the operator on that register, but by the SSA who put it through under that register.

The register would be over in the Cheque value, as the cheque has been sent up, but not processed by the SSA.

Having no records of this is surprising, however.

nanakid12

HSC
Ah righteo. Well they have actual found the details for the customer, so they're best guess is that someone has started to process a cheque, then cancelled it and it still got recorded in the system or something.

But they've looked through every single transaction on the register, nothing on it looks like it would be it.

quake

HSC
N/A
If the register is under in the Cheque value, that would mean that a cheque was not processed by the operator on that register, but by the SSA who put it through under that register.

The register would be over in the Cheque value, as the cheque has been sent up, but not processed by the SSA.

Having no records of this is surprising, however.
office staff don't process cheques in that way, like all non-cash tenders they're picked up from registers automatically by the end of day process. they just sit in the clear banking screen till we clear bank the next day. i don't think there's even a way to influence the cheque tender type without actually selecting 'cheque', on a register, as a payment for a transaction. as it's not in the EJ either it's gotta be an IT issue

BSammy

HSC
office staff don't process cheques in that way, like all non-cash tenders they're picked up from registers automatically by the end of day process. they just sit in the clear banking screen till we clear bank the next day.

that's not true, you have to tell the computer to pick it up. check the dollar amount on the cheque matches what was typed in the register, etc. and if you don't physically have the cheque you shouldn't tell the computer to pick it up.

quake

HSC
N/A
that's not true, you have to tell the computer to pick it up. check the dollar amount on the cheque matches what was typed in the register, etc. and if you don't physically have the cheque you shouldn't tell the computer to pick it up.
woops, my mistake, i had no idea aus and nz stores were so different in this regard. over here cheques are picked up automatically and we just verify that they're correct, makes it impossible to screw up. sorry for any confusion

BSammy

HSC
nah it's cool

the details typed in at the register carry through to the office, but you do need to click through to tell it to pick it up.

in other news there's a chance i won't be at woolworths much longer. applying for commonwealth bank and got through to first stage. hoping for the best :)

nanakid12

HSC
Well I haven't heard anymore about it, so I assume its a mistake somewhere.

in other news there's a chance i won't be at woolworths much longer. applying for commonwealth bank and got through to first stage. hoping for the best :)
Sick of it? Haha. Good luck whatever happens :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer between Woolies Australia to Countdown NZ? Not going to happen probably, but if I ever wanted to go over there for a year or something... ?

britto89

HSC
Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer between Woolies Australia to Countdown NZ? Not going to happen probably, but if I ever wanted to go over there for a year or something... ?
It would be less of a change then moving from Woolies to Big W with the exception that you would need to sort out all the NZ paperwork to be able to work there, possibly a NZ bank account to get paid into, etc.

BSammy

HSC
i think it's possible i used to work with someone who i think transferred to new zealand. i don't know any of the details but it's probably worth asking HR about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)