thesis and intro (1 Viewer)

sfernando

HSC
:confused:can anyone pls give me a good guide on how to write an introduction and a thesis. I actaully need to know wat i should include, wat not to.. and specailly how to start the essay since i was really confused with that..

acemusic415

HSC
Introductions are always the hardest to write, especially for the greatest majority as it is the building blocks to your entire essay.

For example, your essay is based on the previous Area of Study: Journeys.

- Firstly, define Journeys - however do not make it seem like a direct cut and paste from the dictionary. Make it complex but not convoluted and demonstrate your understanding of Journeys.

For example: Journeys are a dynamic and intrinsic process which essentially extends beyond the scope of a physical destination - a course which is the sole catalyst to self realisation and inner growth. (etc)

- Now, place in a thesis - your line of argument which must be persistent and consistent throughout your essay. How I see it is, your thesis is pretty much a greater and clearer emphasis on the definition of journeys (mentioned above). You make it explicit and obvious, that you either have agreed or disagreed with the essay question/topic.

- Now establish your texts within your introduction. It is fairly simple. List the composer, the medium (text type) and the text name itself. Be sure to bold and underline the text.

For example: Such an extensive concept of journeys is embraced in Robert Frosts' poem, Road Not Taken.

- Conclusively, you now demonstrate your understanding of doing the essay. In my opinion, you always learn something from a contextualised analysis of any particular texts. Thus, an understanding is therefore established, and it is crucial for you to note that clearly so the marker knows that you've learnt something.

Hope it helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)