Thesis statement (1 Viewer)

purplemoon

HSC
Hey everyone

Just wondering, how on earth do you write a thesis statement? I mean, does it have to be a broad statement or does it need to be specific to the text you're discussing?
For eg if it was mod B I always begin my body paragraphs with "faith bandler is an aboriginal activist.....etc etc" but always get marked down.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Firstly, there is a distinction between THESIS statements (the first sentence of your essay in the introduction and essentially your point of view on the question - in short, your line of argument) and TOPIC sentences (these are at the start of each paragraph and set out the point you are going to argue in the body paragraph. This should be linked to your thesis statement so when you prove your topic sentence, you prove your thesis statement).

For Module B - Speeches a THESIS statement might be like:

i) The prescribed speeches continue to engage audiences irrespective of context as they embrace timelessly elusive paradigms such as unity and peace.

or another one:

ii) A speaker performs a crucial social function when they motivate audiences towards achieving somewhat controversial and timeless issues.

A TOPIC sentence for the first THESIS statement could be:

i) Great speeches are able to resonate beyond their original audience through skilfully integrating rhetorical devices and Aristotelian appeals with powerful ideas such as unity.

A TOPIC sentence for the second THESIS statement could be:

ii) Speakers are able to unify their audiences in the purpose of achieving paradigms such as unity for the betterment of society.

There's a subtle difference, but I hope you get it.

In regards to your question on how to begin your body paragraphs, your TOPIC sentences should always be specific to that text. e.g. for Bandler's speech: "Powerful speeches are able to unify their audience in purpose." <--- This is relevant to Bandler's speech as she uses various rhetorical devices to build a shared perspective regarding the need to strive towards reconciliation, such as rhetorical inquisitions "If not now, when? If not us, who?"

Hopefully you get my point :)

Good luck!

purplemoon

HSC
Firstly, there is a distinction between THESIS statements (the first sentence of your essay in the introduction and essentially your point of view on the question - in short, your line of argument) and TOPIC sentences (these are at the start of each paragraph and set out the point you are going to argue in the body paragraph. This should be linked to your thesis statement so when you prove your topic sentence, you prove your thesis statement).

For Module B - Speeches a THESIS statement might be like:

i) The prescribed speeches continue to engage audiences irrespective of context as they embrace timelessly elusive paradigms such as unity and peace.

or another one:

ii) A speaker performs a crucial social function when they motivate audiences towards achieving somewhat controversial and timeless issues.

A TOPIC sentence for the first THESIS statement could be:

i) Great speeches are able to resonate beyond their original audience through skilfully integrating rhetorical devices and Aristotelian appeals with powerful ideas such as unity.

A TOPIC sentence for the second THESIS statement could be:

ii) Speakers are able to unify their audiences in the purpose of achieving paradigms such as unity for the betterment of society.

There's a subtle difference, but I hope you get it.

In regards to your question on how to begin your body paragraphs, your TOPIC sentences should always be specific to that text. e.g. for Bandler's speech: "Powerful speeches are able to unify their audience in purpose." <--- This is relevant to Bandler's speech as she uses various rhetorical devices to build a shared perspective regarding the need to strive towards reconciliation, such as rhetorical inquisitions "If not now, when? If not us, who?"

Hopefully you get my point :)

Good luck!
Thank you so so so much! That actually made a lot of sense and clarified a lot of things up for me

Good luck to you too! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)