Thinking about the optional topics (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Well even though it's probably really early thinking about them, I prefer thinking about it now during the holidays rather than during school where I'll be busy. The two that I'm thinking about is astro and q2q.

1. Which one is easier?
2. Which one has more equations? (and are they difficult/troll?)
3. Which one is more rote learning?
4. Was it enjoyable for you?
5. General overview (astro looks like space and the cosmic engine and q2q reminds me of chemistry.....which I don't do anymore)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
1)I think astrophysics is easier-but at the end of the day, it really depends on your personal interest and knowledge of these two areas of physics-astronomical and quantum

2)I think don't decide on an option topic by which has the more equations-all the equations will be given on the formula sheet anyways-you just need to learn how to apply them-nothing is difficult if you practice it enough times by doing questions and checking answers

3)Again, which is more rote learning also is mainly to do with which you already know more about and are interested in-but I would say quarks to quanta since astrophysics is touched upon in years 9 and 10 science already.

4)I loved astrophysics-but again this is subjective-due to the fact I personally had a fervent interest in astronomy.

5)Maybe the best general overview you can get is by actually reading through an HSC physics textbook on both of these topics or reading through the syllabus:)

Hope this helps-may you choose the option topic that is the best for you:)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Do the one your class is doing. Learning from your teacher will be much more beneficial.

For the record, I did Q2Q, and it's pretty much all rote learned. Very little calculations and almost no concepts that need to be picked up. It was boring as fuck.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
1)I think astrophysics is easier-but at the end of the day, it really depends on your personal interest and knowledge of these two areas of physics-astronomical and quantum

2)I think don't decide on an option topic by which has the more equations-all the equations will be given on the formula sheet anyways-you just need to learn how to apply them-nothing is difficult if you practice it enough times by doing questions and checking answers

3)Again, which is more rote learning also is mainly to do with which you already know more about and are interested in-but I would say quarks to quanta since astrophysics is touched upon in years 9 and 10 science already.

4)I loved astrophysics-but again this is subjective-due to the fact I personally had a fervent interest in astronomy.

5)Maybe the best general overview you can get is by actually reading through an HSC physics textbook on both of these topics or reading through the syllabus:)

Hope this helps-may you choose the option topic that is the best for you:)
I did nothing during my junior years so yea :p
I think my resources might be a factor here, I'm very note dependent (I learn by making my own notes using other people's notes+textbook). Atm I don't have many decent sets of astro notes.

Do the one your class is doing. Learning from your teacher will be much more beneficial.

For the record, I did Q2Q, and it's pretty much all rote learned. Very little calculations and almost no concepts that need to be picked up. It was boring as fuck.
So the winner is the one who can memorise the best?

My teacher doesn't teach anything so it won't matter.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I did Medical, although I would have preferred Astro.

Medical was pretty interesting and it certainly wasn't difficult. From what I could gather though, Astro was pretty much the two space topics with a little extra content.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
So the winner is the one who can memorise the best?

My teacher doesn't teach anything so it won't matter.
Pretty much. You can tell how much people have studied by how well they go in Q2Q, because it is 95% learn and regurgitate in the exam. Very little calculations, and what calculations that is there is simple addition and subtraction of numbers (Mass defect), as well as using a basic formula. Q2Q is probably the best option for rote learners, and not a good choice if you like learn conceptually.

And fair enough with your teacher, but if you're still in doubt when it comes around, do the same as your class.

studybuddy101

HSC
I took medical physics and found it very simple (you could honestly go through the entire module in about a month)

The option topics are really different to the core modules though, despite looking into some more modern applications of physics and "learning" modern physical theories it really ends up feeling like they're training you to become a physics journalist as opposed to working on the problem solving/analytical skills you get in the core.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Thanks for all the replies guys :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Any way now is the time to think about it. You want a general idea and should take your time in making the decision as it can make all the difference in HSC. I know my choice made a significant difference and that took me about 3 months to make the decision. It was certainly the only option for me that I would never find boring (and never did), so it became my strongest section in HSC.

As I have said before, your interest will drive you to study the most fun topic of all, and surely you will do well in it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're thinking of pursuing science further, I'd recommend doing Quanta to Quarks. Personally, I thought Astrophysics was not bad but it was a bit dry.

Kobweb

HSC
N/A
I did astrophysics (2013 exam). When I added my raw marks up it came to 90, but was reported as 92 raw mark. So I would assume astrophysics aligned by an extra 2 marks. It didn't take too long to learn astrophysics and I found it quite interesting. The equations are a bit harder than Q2Q as you have to manipulate logs, but its still year 10 level maths, so don't be too phased by the calculations. I really enjoyed the topic, so would definitely recommend it.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
If you're thinking of pursuing science further, I'd recommend doing Quanta to Quarks. Personally, I thought Astrophysics was not bad but it was a bit dry.
I don't plan to pursue a science course but who knows? :p Going to try and figure out the one I'll do the best at.

I did astrophysics (2013 exam). When I added my raw marks up it came to 90, but was reported as 92 raw mark. So I would assume astrophysics aligned by an extra 2 marks. It didn't take too long to learn astrophysics and I found it quite interesting. The equations are a bit harder than Q2Q as you have to manipulate logs, but its still year 10 level maths, so don't be too phased by the calculations. I really enjoyed the topic, so would definitely recommend it.
Ehhhh then I guess that isn't that bad. But is the difficulty like projectile motion questions? Sure everyone is like "it's year 9-10 maths, its just substitution,some trig and quadratics" but I can't do the "harder" questions :/

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Could I get some insight from people who didn't do what their class did? This doesn't have to be for physics, it can be for any science/humanities

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Which option aligns the best?
Don't pick an option based on aligning.

And it varies every year so can't really tell.

I took a huge gamble in terms of aligning this year when I did Age of Silicon, because you never know whether the tiny AOS cohort will do well or not in Section 1.

But I know that by choosing the option I liked most (which is most related to mech/elec engineering), it became my strongest section.

Could I get some insight from people who didn't do what their class did? This doesn't have to be for physics, it can be for any science/humanities
I think you already have my insight, but just fyi, the class was doing medical with the teacher (about half the class), one did q2q and 3 did AOS.

We were lucky enough that our teacher has experience in Science marking so our teacher could mark all options fairly for our trials.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ehhhh then I guess that isn't that bad. But is the difficulty like projectile motion questions? Sure everyone is like "it's year 9-10 maths, its just substitution,some trig and quadratics" but I can't do the "harder" questions :/
Believe me, the maths in astrophysics is much more simplistic-even the hardest questions you can find on a HSC level-is much more easier than the 'harder' projectile motion questions, a reason for that is that there is only a few equations you need to learn, whilst in projectile, there is much more. As long as you try to enjoy your option topic, and practice your understanding on a regular basis-you will excel in any option topic you end up doing. Best wishes.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Believe me, the maths in astrophysics is much more simplistic-even the hardest questions you can find on a HSC level-is much more easier than the 'harder' projectile motion questions, a reason for that is that there is only a few equations you need to learn, whilst in projectile, there is much more. As long as you try to enjoy your option topic, and practice your understanding on a regular basis-you will excel in any option topic you end up doing. Best wishes.
Thanks for concreting my idea about option topics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)