Thinking of getting new electric/amp...any suggestions (1 Viewer)

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
I've played guitar for a year... but i borrowed an electric acoustice (without amp) off a mate which he kindly lent, for a whole year.

Now I've given it back, and am looking to invest in my own guitar... I don't have a strict budget, but being a relatively pov school student am looking for a generally base entry electric, with a low wattage amp (also so i don't piss off the rents and anything bigger is pointless unless in a band)

currently, I am keen on getting a Epiphone LP 100 electric, with a marshall 15 watt amp
reasons being both are well known producers and for that reason are reliable...
i can get this combo for around $500 - $600

reasons for going electric is the increased versatility of electrics (ie. i can play the songs i am most interested in), and also i figure that should a desire for an acoustic arrive further down the track, i can pick one up relatively cheaply.

Anyway, what are your thoughts, do any experienced guitar players have any inside knowledge on excellent guitar brands or ones i should check out when i go to the stores?

savio23q

Band
HSC
You've only been playing a year so I wouldn't go into anything too expensive. I think I bought my first guitar for $400 (Ibanez) along with a low watt amp (i think it's 10). It's not top notch (open G string sounds like shit sometimes) but it does the job. Great for practicing on. Go to various guitar stores and check some out, but make sure you actually PLAY them, see whats comfortable for you. Oh and dont rush...I rushed with my Ibanez acoustic and regret it LOL. Oh well. :)

sullyman

HSC
Id go for a Fender Squire Stratocaster, the pack it comes in includes:
- The guitar (duh!)
- 10 Watt practise amp
- Lead
- Electric tuner
In all its a really good first electric guitar (as it was my first before i upgraded to an RG Prestigue Balsamo addition). Its around $499 when i last priced it but it should be a little cheaper. A real bargin but not a piece of shit like some cheap packages, its well worth the money.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
There are heaps of cheap packs that you can get in heaps of stores

If you have only been playing for a year i would not get something to fancy, you can update later if you want to anyway, although i think that i could never get rid of my pink electric, it is the first electric i bought.

A squire could be good, but cheap pack's are not always crap, i know mine is not crap, I pick up more expensive ones and i always like my guitars better, it is perfect for me.

i would go into a guitar store, pick some up play them, and see what feels and sounds good. Although in most cases you get what you pay for

never go online unless it is a well known reputable company, seriously my old guitar teacher had a student who bought a guitar online and it was un-playable, the neck had been snapped and re-glued, yeah she could of bought another neck, but what she paid it was not worth it.

I23

HSC
Your guitar is going to have to be a preference thing.

However paying full price for a little practice amp seems silly.

Look around ebay people are flocking to get rid of them.

metalheaven

HSC
Ibanez, Fender, Ashton, Squier, all make decent beginners guitars. As far as beginner amps go, just a little Ashton can suffice.

My advice is to go round to a guitar shop and just try out plenty of guitars/amps and see what floats your boat.

pieman

HSC
for my money i would go the squire pack. it has a decent amp, the guitar is a strat just a lower build quality but still a relatively good buy.
the guitar itself is has a good neck which is easy to get ur hand around so its good if ur learning and wanting to do solos n stuff, it has a whammy bar which makes every1 think ur cool lol
it was my first guitar so im slightly biased but now i got a Gibson LP with a Bugera valve amp that litterally shakes the room on occasions, but i still pull out the little fender amp if i need to be quiet or if i want that distinct sound. but yea definately get the squier pack. my opinion tho, make sure u go n play different guitars to find one that bes suits u

TrickmA

HSC
sullyman said:
Id go for a Fender Squire Stratocaster, the pack it comes in includes:
- The guitar (duh!)
- 10 Watt practise amp
- Lead
- Electric tuner
In all its a really good first electric guitar (as it was my first before i upgraded to an RG Prestigue Balsamo addition). Its around $499 when i last priced it but it should be a little cheaper. A real bargin but not a piece of shit like some cheap packages, its well worth the money.
Ew, Squires are horrible. Steer clear.

osamabanana

HSC
I have an epiphone LP100 and love it great guitar for the price. Think i payed in the mid $300's for it from memory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)