• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

This Year's Fashion Has Been Really Shit, Why Doesn't Anyone Else Agree? (1 Viewer)

???

• Total voters

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The year is nearly finished and I have hated everything the shops have come up with. It went really good last summer with some body hugging summer dresses and since then it went downhill.

Pregnant dresses, curtain dresses, balloon dresses, things that don't hug your body and make you look fat, overalls, vests, ugly ugly ankle boots (some are okay, but mostly shit), over the top leopard print, clown red lipstick on pale white blondes, skinny emo jeans, retro highlighter crap, big letters across shirts, intense amounts of sequins etc.

The only think I have warmed up to are long shirt dresses that at least hug your body, and leggings. But I don't wear these myself, I merely appreciate them on others.

I
Have
Not
Bought
Any
Clothes
This
Year

except shoes.

Am I the only one that has these sentiments? Because ah, on the street, it doesn't appear so. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but fuck you Pitt St/Sydney/Westfield/Small stores that look individual when really they're not/Myer/etc and your crappy unagreeable sense of fashion. Get back to some classic, timeless pieces. For fuck's sake.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I agree. I have been practically been living off my clothes from last year. Found a few nice dresses but most of it is oversized shirts and fluro shit. I am find now a little better than a few months ago...gar the supre fashion style seems to be taking over....ick

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i agree with you...i've bought some clothes this year but there's nothing i really like among them and except for one winter jacket which i do really like and was happy to pay full price for, i bought everything on sale...there is no way i'd pay full price for some of the unflattering crap that's been around...e.g. SMOCK TOPS, omg. die, fuck. I'm a small petite person but when i put on one of these monstrosities it is really, really not cool. Also not cool is that godawful winter trend with the gray sweater dresses/pinafores and the leggings that went through sydney (and i suspect most of the country) like some dreary ugly virus...ugh there are so many things i could talk about but i won't. one thing though, if i don't start seeing some dresses with the waistline at the WAIST and not under the tits soon i'm going to go a little crazy....

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The fashion really sucks for petite girls. It was hard enough to find decently priced stuff for someone little and now its worse with all the oversized unfitted stuff. The current fashion does not suit people like me i.e. anyone whose a 6/8. Also what happened to skirts, its all tights or jeans with huge shirts or dresses, I like dresses but not the ugly potato sacks and pinafores. Some of the summer dresses arent too bad though.

One more rant, why are there so few bikini separates and if there are anythey are plain or really ugly! Gar it sucks when ur an 8 (if u can ever find one)-10 binkini bottom and 14-16 bikini top, not everyone is balanced top and bottom

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
yeah, like, whoever thought a fluoro yellow bubble skirt would look good on anybody was clearly on crack...yellow flatters so few people yet i keep seeing so many people wearing it who shouldnt be.
Agree!

As for the high waistlined dresses, I like them, mostly because for girls with small boobs like me, they're rather flattering (If you get them in the right material)

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
oh no, you must hate all my clothes then. :eek:
i was so upset this year because everything that i love and is my style became ubiquitous and was destroyed by awful teenagers. but i still bought heaps of junk. actually most of it was probably charity store things, but i did buy a few smocks, lots of sequinned things, heaps of other dresses blah blah... lots of coats/capes/peacoats/etc.

i even bought a bubble skirt. :eek:

*Minka*

HSC
I havn't brought much this year either. My pet fashion peeve this season is those horrible fluro shirts with big slogans on them. They seem to be all I find this year. I can't wait til I am in Europe for Christmas and might be able to find something decent.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
i agree that the fluoro slutty raver shit has been woeful, though. i just liked all the 60's type stuff

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I basically only bought stuff for work this year. Plus some cuter things overseas that were A) never going to hit stores here or B) from thrift stores.

However my basic wardrobe still consists of jeans and tshirts. There is nothing better.

One other thing: balloon skirts make you look FAT, does no one understand that?

Walking through Pitt St yesterday made me want to vomit. No joke.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
Sarah - where's good for worky-type clothes that won't cost me a bomb? I need some new skirts and shirts for summer :(

Also, to further comment on the thread: Fluoro stuff just makes it easier to spot the people you don't want to associate with.

I suggest every girl on this forum go to a site called etsy.com and check out the dresses there. It's a site for handmade stuff, and some of it is pretty damn cool. I've found a dress on there that is made from a French newspaper which was printed on fabric. Sounds weird, but it works...

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Lizakith said:
Sarah - where's good for worky-type clothes that won't cost me a bomb? I need some new skirts and shirts for summer :(
Liz - That's been my problem all year :( I bought a Saba skirt for work which was gorgeous and on sale and that's how I justified the $100 price tag. I got a few tops from H&M but that's overseas and you can't shop online :(

I just want to buy one nice dress for summer but I can't find any.

Aralia

Mieow...
HSC
Errrm, don't get me wrong, not all were hideous; I mean, Supre and the like were...

...but SES has been "the usual" and Suite 62 has been great too. My clothes don't generally go above $20 or even $15, yet they fit. You've just gotta know where to look - I really hate those hideous looking clothes with a $99 price tag.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
yeah but SES and the like tend to be pretty shitty quality...i bought a cotton dress from there for 15 bucks and it was great until i washed it and then suddenly it was out of shape and the stitching was going funny. even though it was only 15 dollars i was still pissed that i only got to wear it once. it was the only dress i've seen in a fair while with a waistline, not a tit-line.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
I bought a dress from SES and it disappeared. I have no earthly idea where its gone, and I never got to wear it :(

I have a couple of plain t shirts from SES that have lasted me like 3 summers.

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
Argh yes! I totally agree! I live in a town/city with around 100,000 people .. and fashion is dictated by stuff that comes from Jay Jays/Cotton On/Supre for people our age .. I hate it! Even Myer stuff has gone downhill style wise, I can walk around there for ages and still not find something that looks good!

I hate the fluro shirts, poorly cut oversized t-shirts, coloured skinny's, bubble skirts/dresses etc. I've been living off my clothes from last year, which is pretty woefull because I didn't exactly buy much last year due to work/HSC owning my life, so I've only bought a few basics and that's it!

I do really like some of the more 'girly' dresses that are coming out though.. But that's as long as they flatter you and sit properly.

I've also noticed that the sizes are getting so distorted! I'm an 8 .. Yet I go into Just Jeans (I've found they have had some pretty summer dresses) or a few other stores and try on an 8 and it swims! It's so frustrating, because I find something I actually do like and it sits awful or just plain doesn't fit!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
lol i thought of something else (which thankfully seems to be going away, now that it's heating up) - that trend of sticking 3/4 black tights under everything...i can't understand it. If you want to warm/conceal your legs under a skirt, a pair of stockings works just as well and looks infinitely more classy than ugly black tubes that stop halfway down your leg (thus visually shortening and fattening it, why hasn't anyone else caught on to this?). and as for wearing them under shorts, all i can say is don't. if it's cold or you don't like the way your legs look in shorts here's a novel idea - wear jeans! or any other long garment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)