Who's in the right?

• The schools

• The companies using the resources

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

Anaya R

HSC

I can see why the high schools are miffed, but at the same time many people (not necessarily going to tutoring) do use the resources fairly while acknowledging the source.
(Also since this is news related I have posted it here rather than the general discussion of HSC)

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
my take
  1. teachers do put in a lot of work to make test papers and profiting off their work is immoral
  2. maybe there's a possibility that they start chasing thsc (major backlash would occur though i think a lot of people downloaded a lot of thsc today because of the article)
  3. the use of past papers by students is a good learning tool, and saying "It is simply unethical for others to use them without permission" is stupid for several reasons –
  4. advertising past papers as a tutoring centre is weird (project academy)
  5. this case DEFINITELY would've happened at some point
  6. “I find it concerning that families are paying for what the public system is producing. Teaching is more than handing out a resource, it is knowing your students and how learning happens.”
    families try to deal the cards they're dealt in a broken game
edit: i've heard of doe taking action on stuff like this before - pretty sure it happened to sigma at one point

liamkk112

HSC
while it would be nice if every single high school in the state had competent teachers, it’s just not the case, and naturally students turn to things like tutoring to get more assistance. i agree that it does take away the credit from teachers at selective schools when tutoring centers slap their logo over their paper; i think that’s pretty immoral, and there’s nothing wrong with using a school trial paper as a tutoring resource anyway so these tutoring centres are clearly just doing it to make it “look like they have good papers”.

however i think these schools are overlooking the students perspective in this situation. at the end of the day the students benefit when they are given more resources, there’s really no way around that, and if schools instead gatekeep their papers i think that’s equally as unfair for students as it is for the teachers when their paper is stolen. plus, the culture now is for the majority of students to attend tutoring, and the hard way to fix that is to get better teachers at every school which simply put is pretty much impossible.

overall i think tutoring centers should be able to use past papers, provided they don’t take the credit for writing it. and if schools really don’t want tutoring centers to be central to high school culture, then publish your papers online for everyone, then students have way less reason to go to tutoring. but taking it away from the public and making it illegal in a way to use papers from other schools only makes it harder on those who go to lower ranked schools and makes a monopoly in a way where selective schools are even more privileged in resources than they are now.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
james ruse is full of fucking dorks so im glad the tutor places are stealing their shit

i remember one of the dudes in this video is an uptight loser who lost it because i posted this video on here a few years after it was released and said i was some weird creepy harasser for 'saving' the video to use later like that

when really i just found it again by googling 'asian hsc students song' or some shit lol

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
while it would be nice if every single high school in the state had competent teachers, it’s just not the case, and naturally students turn to things like tutoring to get more assistance. i agree that it does take away the credit from teachers at selective schools when tutoring centers slap their logo over their paper; i think that’s pretty immoral, and there’s nothing wrong with using a school trial paper as a tutoring resource anyway so these tutoring centres are clearly just doing it to make it “look like they have good papers”.

however i think these schools are overlooking the students perspective in this situation. at the end of the day the students benefit when they are given more resources, there’s really no way around that, and if schools instead gatekeep their papers i think that’s equally as unfair for students as it is for the teachers when their paper is stolen. plus, the culture now is for the majority of students to attend tutoring, and the hard way to fix that is to get better teachers at every school which simply put is pretty much impossible.

overall i think tutoring centers should be able to use past papers, provided they don’t take the credit for writing it. and if schools really don’t want tutoring centers to be central to high school culture, then publish your papers online for everyone, then students have way less reason to go to tutoring. but taking it away from the public and making it illegal in a way to use papers from other schools only makes it harder on those who go to lower ranked schools and makes a monopoly in a way where selective schools are even more privileged in resources than they are now.
idk i feel like saying selective schools are privileged in resources is not that good of a point when private schools drive a lot of talented teachers away from the public sector
and tutoring centres should need to use licenses lol

james ruse is full of fucking dorks so im glad the tutor places are stealing their shit
no need to be jealous sylvia we're all special in our own ways, especially you ☺

jonolad69

HSC

i remember one of the dudes in this video is an uptight loser who lost it because i posted this video on here a few years after it was released and said i was some weird creepy harasser for 'saving' the video to use later like that

when really i just found it again by googling 'asian hsc students song' or some shit lol

Who was the guy in the video

liamkk112

HSC
idk i feel like saying selective schools are privileged in resources is not that good of a point when private schools drive a lot of talented teachers away from the public sector
and tutoring centres should need to use licenses lol
when i said selective schools are priviledged in resources i should have been more specific. i didn't mean that they are taking away resources from other public schools, or are even the most funded schools in the state. i meant that, by virtue of being a selective school in the first place, they naturally have difficult exams due to a competitive cohort which drives up the difficulty (im generalising as every selective school is not the same, but i think this is pretty true about the schools mentioned in the article), which is somewhat due to good teachers as well. these exams are clearly very useful, as they often test student knowledge in ways that other exam papers, including the hsc, does not, and as such are beneficial to those who take the exam paper in a way that cannot be easily be replicated by other exam papers that are "free" like the official hsc papers.
personally i would have been very screwed for almost all of my subjects if it weren't for having access to selective school papers on websites like thsc or other resources created by selective schools, and i think what schools are proposing might remove that opportunity from others. by removing that opportunity, they are basically restricting every other school from having access to these high quality resources that other schools simply just don't create or have.
to be clear i don't think the tutoring industry is beneficial for the majority of students, and i think it should become regulated in some extent. and stealing resources without giving proper credit is obviously wrong. however if students have to resort to attending tutoring in order to garner resources, then there's a bigger problem that needs to be solved that taking down resources won't fix. i really do think that if selective schools like ruse, baulko etc just made their resources/exams free, then a lot of students wouldn't even bother going to tutoring if they are just looking for resources (which afaik is a big motivator for a lot of students). i had to crawl through studocu and other janked websites just to find one physics past paper a week when studying for hsc due to the lack of resources online, i can imagine a lot of people are in the same situation and tutoring is just the easy way out.

lolcti

HSC
N/A
why do people in sydney give so much a shit about what high school they went to lol its the most dropkick psycho faggot loser behaviour there is

dont know anyone else outside of that city who cares as much about it as they do
I don’t think anyone gives a fuck it’s just that you’re on a high school forum and people just talk about what schools they go to and generally most people on here go to school in Sydney

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
why do people in sydney give so much a shit about what high school they went to lol its the most dropkick psycho faggot loser behaviour there is

dont know anyone else outside of that city who cares as much about it as they do
I think it's because there is almost no exclusivity of universities in Australia, every single university (maybe not course) is achievable for an average student - even if you may have to do some transfers or take a less desirable course to get there.

As a result, there's not much real prestige or brand name associated with universities here. Unlike the US, where the college you attended can be a pretty big signal for your intelligence, grit or social class/family connections.

The closest alternative we have here are elite selective and private schools, which sometimes have "old boys" alumni networks and similar, like US colleges.

Similarly, in the US, the pathway to professional sports is via colleges which are where the major leagues recruit from. In Australia, this recruiting happens in high school and is something the GPS schools, public sports schools and a small number of other private schools deeply pride themselves in (even the students that dgaf about professional sport).

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
do people at uni actually care what school you went to

it reminds me of some dork i went to uni with talking about how his ATAR was so high and everyone called him a loser

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)