Thoughts on UNSW open day? (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hmm can't seem to recall seeing anyone of that description :S Maybe you saw me? I was the guy with the grey jacket that had standing collars and blue jeans. By a little past noon, my hair was a mess because of the wind xD.
Nope. Too many people haha.

onedaysnotice

HSC
Yep. So. much. people. Its amazing how people managed to fill the campus even though the campus is almost as big as my suburb...

Viewing the entire school from the observation deck really reveals how large the uni was. lol

HSC
TBH not impressed.

This is my partially biased opinion but...

1. Way too far! 1.5hrs not k00l. Would spend 3 hours a day travelling...
2. WTF the adv maths lecture was so bad I tuned out and concentrated on counting people that were coming in. Can't remember the name of the lecturer... I was completely turned off by it - as opposed to USYD's one with Dr Cresswell
3. It's too big ==

All the students were helpful though, and I wasn't hesitant on asking after I got lost a couple of times.

The open day cemented my decisions on preferences...

Also did anyone go to the MX2 lecture that was way up in the red centre building? Spent ages finding it lol...The tips were good but I think any decent 4u teacher would have exposed students to the 'tips and tricks'.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
TBH not impressed.

2. WTF the adv maths lecture was so bad I tuned out and concentrated on counting people that were coming in. Can't remember the name of the lecturer... I was completely turned off by it - as opposed to USYD's one with Dr Cresswell
3. It's too big ==

All the students were helpful though, and I wasn't hesitant on asking after I got lost a couple of times.

Also did anyone go to the MX2 lecture that was way up in the red centre building? Spent ages finding it lol...The tips were good but I think any decent 4u teacher would have exposed students to the 'tips and tricks'.
I was in that lecture too haha. So noisy...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
TBH not impressed.

3. It's too big ==

usyd is like 3 times bigger

red center is the massive red building, why is it hard to find?

jnney

lemon
HSC
Defs UNSW>USYD. Travel isn't a problem for me, it's really only a 15 min bus ride vs. 10 min walk. I just felt as if there was much more closure/inclusiveness at UNSW; the food is better, the architecture / design, even the grass. (Too deep.)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yep. So. much. people. Its amazing how people managed to fill the campus even though the campus is almost as big as my suburb...

Viewing the entire school from the observation deck really reveals how large the uni was. lol
What observation deck?

Living Moment

HSC
Oh I agree. Unsw open day>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Usyd's open day

I had a fantastic time, even though I'm not a science/ mathematics person, I became so interested in the engineering/ science projects. It was as if every faculty were so proud of what they have achieved and going to achieve, and decided to give everyone at Open Day a taste of it. And I really liked that sense of optimism. It was very well catered, I was never lost, people were overall friendly, lots of student helpers, etc. I went to the Philosphy talk, and was happy that the professor answered my question :) I didn't go to any lectures at Usyd... was planning on Design Computing but I already made up my mind about the university. Everyone around me seemed to be having a good time, I was cuing for some blue fairy floss, lovely commerce student had a conversation with me... I was sad to leave, i had a great time.

About travel... it would probably take me around the same time to get to UNSW than it would take to get to Broadway. But I think travel time is eventually something most people would get over.
Omg yes I must agree - wayyyyy better than Usyd. Reasons:
-People were so much nicer and friendlier
-Lots of free stuff
-Seminars were actually informative
-Some seminar rooms were extremely comfortable
-Tours were actually interesting and not entirely about the history or whatever
-Didn't have to wait a long time for a bus
-Majority of events were interesting (I'm not an engineering person but even I was pretty impressed by their displays)

Only bad point was the weather but then again noone can control that right? I should've actually worn jeans or something :(
+1000

physicsisphun

HSC
Was I the only one that got a weird feeling from the uni? The people that I talked to weren't that friendly and the university was just one long road up a hill. I loved usyd last weekend and the colleges are so much better there as well, so I guess I was expecting something similar, which unsw certainly was not. Though still keen to do med there

CommunityFan

HSC
i met friendly students there!!

I actually like the facility and the course that i want to do seem to be nice there too, I like it :)

HSC
Uni Grad
TBH not impressed.

3. It's too big ==

I went into the adv maths lecture. It was horrible. As for MATHSOC president (Mature_Lamb), I reckon could have done his part of at least projecting more. But good thing was that he was brief and to the point.

the trip to UNSW can be a bit far, but it ain't that bad tbh.

laura674

HSC
LOL it was a pretty good day for me!
a little windy, but everyone was smily :)

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
The atmosphere and feel of UNSW was awesome - I felt welcomed and comfortable with all the friendly staff =)

It took me about an hour to get there, but the trip was well worth-while. Glad I attended the open day!

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came, it was really fun talking to you guys about the uni! :) I hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did! (Except for the stupid wind...)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Saw the 'infamous' stairs. It's not THAT bad, I don't see why so many people complain about it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
TBH not impressed.

3. It's too big ==

Did you see me walk in at the end of the Adv Maths lecture? :p

Plus, those lectures are kinda supposed to be bad - it's pretty much guaranteed to be propaganda with a bit of info thrown in for good measure. Also the lecturer is the new Head of School - he's only been in the role for like a month.

And too big? m8. it's uni. it's not high school.

Also as someone who helped plan the tips and tricks, we realised that "oh i already learned this at tutoring" may occur - however, if nothing else, you'd get an additional resource in terms of the lovely hand out to refresh your memory.

I went into the adv maths lecture. It was horrible. As for MATHSOC president (Mature_Lamb), I reckon could have done his part of at least projecting more. But good thing was that he was brief and to the point.

the trip to UNSW can be a bit far, but it ain't that bad tbh.
apparently he sounded leb

confirm/deny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)