Thutmose III, Amenhotep II and Thutmose IV Essay (1 Viewer)

kyliej

rOcKiN PuMpKiN
HSC
N/A
hey all. ive got a 500 word essay to do but i have a problem... i have too many points to add into the essay and im not sure which ones are the most important. :confused:

the question for my essay is:

How did Thutmose III, Amenhotep II, and Thutmose IV extend and consolidate the Egyptian empire?

what would you say is the most important points to put in this essay?

thanx.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
Rhias right there, but probably the most important point (argument thing - no, im not articulate, i realise this) is the fact that they changed the focus from just using the military to expand the empire, to combining it with diplomatic stuff as well.

And Rhia, this goes back to my Hyksos theory...Lets note, they also used this, and as the KMT journals informed me (smiles up to the heavens to thank them for the extra bible - other than that stupid Minoans scentences sheet), to get themselves into Egypt, to hold power, and to then trnsfer their power over vassal states in Syria-Palestine to Egypt later. So, these Pharaohs were the first to actually combine the military technology Egypt gained from the Hyksos with their foreign policy.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
somebody thinks somebody else trusts/relies on KMT a teensy bit too much - *deep breath* plz just remember one important point ange?
JUST BECAUSE ITS WRITTEN IN A KMT JOURNAL OR STATED BY GAE CALLENDER DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT/SOLID/INDISPUTABLE FACT/THE MOST WONDERFUL THEORY TO EVER WALK THE GODDAM EARTH!!!

ok, im calmer now..

in a drag club full of glitter...no, seriously!
silvermoon said:
somebody thinks somebody else trusts/relies on KMT a teensy bit too much - *deep breath* plz just remember one important point ange?
JUST BECAUSE ITS WRITTEN IN A KMT JOURNAL OR STATED BY GAE CALLENDER DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT/SOLID/INDISPUTABLE FACT/THE MOST WONDERFUL THEORY TO EVER WALK THE GODDAM EARTH!!!
damn straight! i hate it when u question someone on the details of some theory theyve sprouted off as solid fact and they cant understand why ur questioning it - its in a book after all! or worse - they read it on the net... honestly, can tppl ever think for themselves!?! ::confused look:: if they cant, then how on earth do they manage to shop properly? the poor things, i bet they always make the wrong couture decisions

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Sad to say, I actually agree with ducky about focusing on the change from military expansionism to incorporating diplomacy (pfft...only cos we did an assignment on it).

Don' agree with relying solely on KMT. That and the fact that not everyone can gain access to these journals.

And Alfalfa, stop supporting everything moonie says. You're inflating her already huge ego!

v(~_^)V

angelduck

HSC
Geez, i dont rely soley on the KMT

There are overwhelming pieces of archaeological evidence for my theory, as well as ofther historians.

And alfalfa, i do think for myself, i dont just know basic facts, i do have theorys, including the above hyksois one, which is my own, loosely based on that pof Callender, because for once,, i believe what she says.

Tina, was that bit the one we discussed on the phone?? You nkow, us and our bouncing off of ideas for that essay

kyliej

rOcKiN PuMpKiN
HSC
N/A
im posting what ive done so far. its only notes ive taken out of a textbook. ive got to put it in my own words too. i dont think ive answered the question and this part is only on Thutmose III..... and its getting close to 500! =S.... i havent even finished talking about him and I still need to mention the other two pharaohs.... anyone please tell me what to cut and if needed (I hope not) what to add. :(

How did Thutmose III, Amenhotep II and Thutmose IV extend and consolidate the Egyptian empire?

Soon after assuming sole power, Thutmose II began to build on the foundations of the Egyptian empire laid down by his grandfather Thutmose I. By means of 17 military campaigns extending over a 20 year period, he established Egypt as the undisputed master of Syria and Palestine. He also fixed the southern border of the Egyptian empire at Napata (Fourth Cataract) In Upper Nubia.

Thutmose III used the walls of the Temple of Amun ‘to obtain full publicity for his achievements’. Recorded on the walls of a red granite chamber at Karnak what is referred to as the Annals is an account of his military campaigns. Associated with the Annals is a list of 350 localities subjugated by Thutmose II during his Syrian campaigns.

Syria and Palestine were the goal of Thutmose’s conquests. Of all the Syrian cities, Kadesh was Egypt’s greatest rival.

It was the Mitannian Kingdom that competed with Egypt for control of Syria. It took Thutmose III a period of over 20 years before his claims in Palestine and Syria could be recognised and the pretensions of the Mitanni checked.

The campaigns of Megiddo in Palestine (Year 23), the Syrian stronghold of Kadesh (Year 30), the Mitanni in Naharin beyond the Euphrates River (Year 33) and the final defeat of Kadesh (Year 42) were the most significant.

Thutmose’s greatest victory was at Megiddo. Thutmose besieged Megiddo for almost seven months, during which time he carried out other military activities in Syria. According to the Annals, the god Amun-Re commanded Thutmose to conquer the wretched enemy and extend the borders of Egypt. Thutmose III ignoring the advice of his officers took the Aruna road to attack his enemy. He trusted in the support of Amun-Re who had promised him victory. Thutmose, at the head of his army, led the charge. The Egyptians prevailed against the enemy forces who supposedly turned and fled towards the safety of Megiddo. No one was permitted to leave the city unless they wished to surrender. Famine finally took its tool on those crowded within the walls of Megiddo and they surrendered.

It is believed that, during the siege, Thutmose had sent out a number of expeditions to the north, possibly around the Sea of Galilee. After the fall of Megiddo, the Egyptian army moved north towards the city of Tyre, capturing the towns of Yanoan, Nuges and Herenkeru.

Thutmose introduced a policy of taking hostages from the defeated princes to ensure their future loyalty. These sons or brothers of the rulers of Retjenu were taken to Egypt to be educated as Egyptians.

angelduck

HSC
Okay, and i dont think either of u girls should be saying that i do rely soley on KMT - whos the only person in our class who got full marks for historiography?? Oh yeah! It was me! So stop saying that i do things when i dont.

Tina, i realise not everyone has access to KMT, that section was for Rhia, not for the girls agrument. So GET OVER IT! Im sicl of u guyz baggin on me, at least read what i said properly before u say somethin

Okay, Kylie, basically you have to much background info, your essay isnt long enough for it, and your teacher alrady knows all of that, you have to show her the extra information you have, not from class, and not the basics. I think, again, it is most important to focus on a change, because their basic idea was to change from just using military to both military and diplomatic (as evidenced by Th. III and his keeping of princes children and indoctrinating them in Egyptian ways to secure their paarents obiedience, and children who grew up to know the Egyptian ways - Annals of Karnak) Amenhotep II wasnt really diplomatic, his warrior upbringing from Th. III (Ahhhh, context..............DAMN ENGLISH!!!) lead him to be highly militaristic.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
angelduck said:
Lets note, they also used this, and as the KMT journals informed me (smiles up to the heavens to thank them for the extra bible - other than that stupid Minoans scentences sheet)
Bible duck?

Sorry no harm was intended. And you should be happy! For the first time ever i supported what you said! And Kylie, what duck said above was basically what i was about to type..... maybe with some better paragraphing v(~.^)V

I have to admit, i dont really like this question (yeah yeah my opinion doesn't count, shut up tina). "How" is a really boring word for an assignment. It paves the way for a lot of boring info and probably a lot of people in your class are going to recite the textbook. Now think what it would be like for the teacher marking this. Constant repetition of the same stuff is not going to amaze him/her. Your mission, if you choose to accept it:

Dazzle your teacher!

Instead of using textbook background info, you could add in some discussions. Rather than just relate the information, WHAT does this info tell us overall about their strategies - both military and political? Remember when analysing your sources, always refer back to the question, even if it is just a little sentence tying it all in.

A lot of the stuff you have on Tuttles can be condensed a lot. You have a lot of irrelevent info for such a short essay. I suggest that you lose all those minor campaigns. Think of this as an essay under exam conditions. Will you remember all the small battles? Read over what you have, cover it, and then decide what was the most important thing you have there.

kyliej said:
Thutmose introduced a policy of taking hostages from the defeated princes to ensure their future loyalty. These sons or brothers of the rulers of Retjenu were taken to Egypt to be educated as Egyptians
This is a good point. Expand on it, remembering to relate back to the question.

This is a long post. You guys do realise i am missing Australian Idol for this. Oh dear god how sad.....

angelduck said:
whos the only person in our class who got full marks for historiography?? Oh yeah! It was me!
Honestly i can't be nice anymore. It hurts!! Duck...nobody likes, nobody likes, nobody likes a bragger!! *tina does a little dance*

angelduck

HSC
Kylie, as to what Tina says, yeah, with the point she wants you to expand, there are good quotes in the Annals of Karnak that say that. Also, what are the marking criteria? Because, i know they are boring to read, but they say EXACTLY what your teacher is after, and so if you understand them, you can fulfill them and 'dazzle' her.

Also, because the question asks for all three, make sure you talk about all three equally

Tina, i wasnt bragging, i was just pointing out that you guyz should not lie anbout things, like saying that i rely on KMT (an assumption you all made). It wasnt meant to be a brag, i swear, and if i really wanted to kick ur arse, do you think i would have spent all night helping you with your essay? Lets think aobut that shall we??

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ok, several things.
kyliej: pretty much everything i was gonna say has been covered, so i wont bother to repeat it, cept to say that if u feel like u still want 2 show that u know all the small battles, background info etc. put it in footnotes - they dont count in your word count and you're still showing ur marker how much u know. also, work on your essay structure itself - some of the grammer and paragraph work is a little off.
tina: stop pickin on alfalfa! is v. mean. not going 2 even bother 2 grace u with a reply 4 the ego comment. *pokes tongue out*. i DONT think im v. good at ancient (i also dont put in v much work...but thats another issue)
ange: *sigh* no-one was slaggn u off 4 using kmt. my comment (in general) wasnt really aimed at u - well, ok, it was, but not just at u - our class seems 2 have been brainwashed by harpy and callender with regard 2 the journals (and what sort of name is 'kmt' anyway...*sigh* but once again, another issue). anyway, judging by the repeated 'i dont rely 2 much on kmt' through ur posts - ur takin this a little 2 much 2 heart! tina was right, u were bragging & we didnt lie...son GET OVER IT ANGELA!
oh, and id have 2 check properly, but from memory, i dont think alfalfa actually said anything 2 u at all duck - just a general comment agreeing with me. so lay off him 2.

:eek: sorry kyliej, this thread is kinda gettin a little away from what u asked *sigh* we dont seem 2 be able 2 post anything without arguing.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Silvermoon, YOU need to work on your paragraphing. My eyeballs almost ruptured trying to read that. :)

(Btw, i was almost about to call you "sailormoon" but THAT'S another issue *tee hee*)

And Kyliej, really do use footnotes. It's such an easy way to scam extra marks!

Last edited:

kyliej

rOcKiN PuMpKiN
HSC
N/A
angelduck said:
Also, what are the marking criteria? Because, i know they are boring to read, but they say EXACTLY what your teacher is after, and so if you understand them, you can fulfill them and 'dazzle' her.
unfortunately i dont know my marking criteria... which now when i think about it is a bit unfair especially since the question isnt exactly easy. All it says is that im gonna be marked out of 15 for it.

the whole assessment is actually made out of two parts, short answer and extended response, both worth 15 marks each.

would anyone know where on the internet i could find more information on Thutmose taking hostages?

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Um there really isn't many good sources on the net. Books are probably the best way to go.

I'm not sure what was in Gae Callender's Eye of Horus, but it had some pretty good stuff to start with.

Check out the Hennessy textbook (Studies in Ancient Egpyt) and it has a whole chapter on Thut III.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
silvermoon said:
yes tina, maybe i didnt use paragraphing in my reply. im soooo sorry ESL gal. was just slightly rushed. next time ill make sure i take ur poor eyeballs into consideration...
get a life

oh, and id just like 2 point out that, as u very well know, i look nothing like sailormoon. that is such a crap show! i cant believe ud almost call me that - im so insulted!
]

I never actually said you looked like sailormoon. And that post was just a play on yours. Then again i agree. I don't have a life. *sob sob* Let's all keeeeeeeel ourselves. Bah!!

kyliej

rOcKiN PuMpKiN
HSC
N/A
i finished it finally. it was meant to b 500 but it was 600. i tried to cut it but already it was pretty basic. i had not enough words to do what i wanted but i tried to add some footnotes in and i tried to fix my paragraphs. thanx guys. ill let you know what mark i get when i get it back.

oh yeah.... and stop arguing =P

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Hey who's arguing? No one's arguing....

Yeah keep us posted. Pretty sure you did ok, and 100 words over isn't that bad really. Considering how some people *cough silvermoon* go waaaaay over their word limits without getting penalised. :D

Hehe, Tina strikes again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)