Tips for good exam creative writing (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
supercalamari said:
Changing overused words into words that sound better...

Forgive me, I've had a very long day.
ah i see.

Go have a bath, its nice after 'long days'

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Already did....

After a 6am-2pm shift on front counter, it's the BEST FEELING EVER :) :) :)

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
Very helpful tips.
I will definitely put them into practice. :)

advanced sam

HSC
N/A
i feel like just saying the were REALLY CRAP tips *, just to be different:wave:
ah... to be an individual. to be or not to be.

*they were good tips

mathslover

HSC
that was excellent thankyou so much..
but can u please not spell 'your' as 'youre'.. nothing personal.. those type of errors really annoy me.. im not trying to sound pedantic..
ppl usually do it the other around.. only very rarely do ppl spell 'you're' correctly.. they all spell it as 'your' :mad: but spelling 'your' as 'youre' is just too muchh for me to handle !!

k i sound a bit obsessive now... thanks heaps again :)

P.S i have a prepared story for my AOS creative writing.. it seems suitable for every one of the past HSC questions.. is it ok if i just have this one prepared story.. and mould it for whatever the question is? or too risky? anyone know?

hk-snow

HSC
Thank You! This is very helpful =]
i faild my trials for english coz i couldn't think of nythin to write!!>< so now i hope i don't fail my actual SC! :D

HSC
Creative writing is the hardest I reckon. For our trial SC we had to do this creative and the exam was 2 hours and everyone I know just whizzed through it because it's English and it's "easy". So they all finished with an hour/45 mins to go, but instead I took my time, paced myself and actually planned my story to make sure it had a resolution and conclusion and finished it properly. After the exam it felt like I hadn't wasted any time just staring into space, so that was a good feeling- lets just hope I get half decent marks!

But yeah, these notes did help majorly, escpecially with the title. I always forget a title, except for in the trials.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
mathslover said:
that was excellent thankyou so much..
but can u please not spell 'your' as 'youre'.. nothing personal.. those type of errors really annoy me.. im not trying to sound pedantic..
ppl usually do it the other around.. only very rarely do ppl spell 'you're' correctly.. they all spell it as 'your' :mad: but spelling 'your' as 'youre' is just too muchh for me
to handle !!

k i sound a bit obsessive now... thanks heaps again :)

P.S i have a prepared story for my AOS creative writing.. it seems suitable for every one of the past HSC questions.. is it ok if i just have this one prepared story.. and mould it for whatever the question is? or too risky? anyone know?
yea, my grammar is really really bad, English is actually my worst subject... except for creative writing that is :p

For your story, i would just have a really loose back up story, just in case, something that is completely different from the one you're planning to use.

mathslover

HSC
-may-cat- said:
yea, my grammar is really really bad, English is actually my worst subject... except for creative writing that is :p

For your story, i would just have a really loose back up story, just in case, something that is completely different from the one you're planning to use.
hahaha bravo bravo !!!
well done im glad u have learnt something valuable :):):)
fast learner.. !! :D

anyhoo thanks for that tip.. i will keep a bakup story in mind.. hopefully i wont have to use it but.:eek:

should it have a title? :S
thanks oxx

diametric

HSC
I never have. In term exams and trials. Neverr.

Though, I think, if the question states,

"Select a certain heading and use this as a stimulus:

Journey through Time
Journey of the Heart
etcetc"

then it's pretty obvious.

And also, I only have one story, have only ever had one.
Always changed it to fit the question. In term exam (based on 2007 HSC) and in Catholic and Independent trial, always got 15/15.

I don't have a back up story, and don't plan to either.
It's a pretty long story, as in, the story itself lasts over a few years, and its highly metaphorical, with respects to a garden and its contents. So, I can generally adapt it to most things.

Thanks for the tips though. Might help the people who are starting their story NOW.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
suzlee said:
yeah.. do we need to name our story?
Yea, generally it is good to add a relevant intelligent title , i forgot to add that....

jeremychung

HSC
N/A
diametric said:
And also, I only have one story, have only ever had one.
Always changed it to fit the question. In term exam (based on 2007 HSC) and in Catholic and Independent trial, always got 15/15.
Really? isnt that a bit risky??

good job though!!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i love the story im planning to do for hsc, ill be heaps dissapointed if i have to use one of my shitter ones :(

youre silly

HSC
These are really good tips because I'm shocking at creative writing. However, just one thing in relation to
Different time frames
. Subplots
. Dual narrative (same story, 2 perspectives)
. Different voices
. flashbacks

I have a brilliant English teacher who has told us the following: If you want to do any of these things, you must do theme well (which is obvious I know). For example, if you do dual narration it must be clear who is narrating, for flashbacks it must be clear what setting/time you are in. If you are not able to skillfully use these techniques DON'T USE THEM!

ANOTHER THING: Remember to be consistent with narrative voice. If you start out in first person, maintain first person- DO NOT SWAP BETWEEN 1st and 3rd or whatever

RockmelonMan

HSC
N/A
IT IS BETTER TO LEAVE YOUR STORY UNFINISHED IF YOU RUN OUT OF TIME THAN TO END WITH ONE OF THESE. THESE ENDINGS WILL AFFECT YOU'RE MARK.
you're? isn't it your? :detective: or is my grammar bad and it's the other way around? i'm confused

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)