Tips for New Students (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
I thought i'd make a thread giving tips about the campuses we go to for new students sake and tips on the admin processes.
For example, i'll do a George Constanza and ask for the best toilets to go to. Other tips like the best food, hangouts, and where student centres are etc.

Campus: Kingswood, Penrith
Best toilet facility: V building is nicest as its big and there are less people in it. Plus it don't stink of well...you know.
Worst: Definately U building, both of the ground level ones. The one that has the water fountain outside has the worst ever smell and is never attended to.
Water facility: U building, outside the toilets on the fround floor. Always cold.
Student Centre: I building is a tricky place to locate. To get to it, you have to walk though a corridor/balcony thingy and its tucked behind the buildings. Best is to ask students and follow the maps as its really hard to describe.
Best Food: Well the Cafe upstairs K building has cakes! but most of the food is form the cafeteria anyway. Food is food, just its not as good as a home cooked meal. Favourite is the Swamp bar as it has nice lounges, tv, tables and chairs to do work if you want to and pool tables.
Hangouts: The best is the lawn in front of K building, near the Swamp bar or in the Swamp bar. Benches are located strategically across the campus.
Facilities: tennis court, gym, stationary and co op bookshop.
Best room: UG lecture theatres, nice and big.
Worst Rooms: P building. Rooms echoe and are hard to do presentatiosn in.
Computer facilities: Very good for Computing students. The best ones are reserved for the engineering students which is located secretly from us computng students in Y building. Common student computers arent bad either, the best places are in V building upstairs as their is less people in there.
Cautions: Watch out for birds and thier crap. Need to be fit, campus is spread.

UWS Policies: Read your UWS Calender!!! Just the relevant ones anyway.

Hope is helps.

PS, need other peoples opinions on thier campuses as well.

EDIT: whoops, forgot about tute reg tips. [Tutorial Registration]
Sign into platform web like 15 minutes or 10 prior to commencement and usually they are open and so you dont have to wait for a long time. ALso, remember that it is first come first serve as well.

Last edited:

GTR

HSC
Remember to obtain your parking stickers as soon as possible. UWS security is good for nothing but handing out tickets to poor students, who do not know the parking procedures.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Would u like me to do one for the hawkesbury campus?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Campus: Hawkesbury - Richmond

Best toilet facilities- the ones in stable square near the small shop.
Worst toilet facilities - outside the cafeteria.

Eating - There is a small shop which sells cheaper chocolates and drinks than the cafeteria - found in stable square. The cafeteria is located next to the football field.
Vending machines found throughout the campus.

Library - you can't miss it ... its on the other side of the football field to the cafeteria. has exactly what natstar said.

The bar - found in stable square. music, pool tables and ofcourse alcohol.

Co op bookshop also found in stable square.

Gym - usual stuff as well as an indoor swimming pool.
And near the first car park theres an outdoor swimming pool.

Best room- G.16 - nice and aircon and lecturing is easy.
Worst room - Ksomething?? forgot it, but they lecture by opening three rooms and no air con.

warning: the trains are very very unreliable on the richmond line and the cows are scarey ... but there are cute little sheep early in the year ... aww they are so cute.

You can't get lost on this campus - it might seem small, but you keep the football field in the centre and you will be fine, hit the horses and you havr gone to far :) you seriously can't go any further west in sydney, well it feels like that, lol.

Oh and be prepared for freezing mornings and boiling hot days!

michelleanne

HSC
Campus: Parramatta

Best toilet facility: In the lecture theatre building EE.

Worst: EDG Building- the numbering system for the rooms are out of wack. I still dont know which room numbers are where.

Student Centre: Building EJ- The Cash Office is there too. Pretty much central.

Best Food: Well the Cafe near the student centre. Great food- better then the cafeteria which is near the library. Prices are reasonable.

Hangouts: At the cafeteria near the library.

Facilities: tennis court, stationary and co op bookshop.

Best room: lecture theatre, Library (when its hot) and EM and ES Buildings.

Worst Rooms: EDG- hot, ESA1 &2 Noisy and The other side of parra campus accross from Victoria road where the science courses are usually held. There is nothing there only a drink machine.

Computer facilities: Early in the morning you can alwas get a comp.... but as the day gets on it get harder to find one. The library has computers but still not enough. NEVER PRINT FROM THE COMPUTER LABS ALWAYS PRNT FROM THE LIBRARY. Because the computer labs printers eithier stuff up or are out of paper and you will lose so much money.

Tips:
New and Continuuing students: Buy text books the week before uni goes back. Textbook lists are always on the coopwebsite, in the coop shop and also you can e-mail lecturers and ask. This saves long long ques, time and will makesure you get ur books before they run ot. Then you have to wait weeks until new books arrive and then you fall behind in readings.

Textbooks: UWS does not have a second hand bookshop but it doesn't mean you can't buy second hand texts from other uni's. you can also sell your textbooks to these places and also post your law texts on the LEC Forum below.

University of Sydney second hand text shop: http://www.src.usyd.edu.au/bookshop.html

University of Sydney second hand texts forum for law: http://members.boardhost.com/lawext/

To Save heaps of money use OFFICEWORKS for photocopying. Its only 6 cents a page compared to 11 cents ar uni. Just borrow the books and photocopy them. If its a small book photocopy the whole book. I know is against the law but who is to know.

I will add more stuff when I think of it.

UTS: http://2bb.uts.edu.au/

Parking: First Month: Get there early if u want parking- its chaos.

Transport: Buses from parramatta station take you to outside the uni and you have about a minute walk to get inside the uni. Buses are very frequent. Rydalmere station is next door to the uni but trains are one and hour.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Campus: Bankstown

Best toilet facility: Building 1 (not sure)

Worst: Dunno, damn a lot of magpies

Student Centre: Building 1. :p

Best Food: Only one, Building 1 upstairs. (i fink)

Hangouts: Library? :p

Facilities: newsagent, Marc labatory and co op bookshop.

Best room: the pyche area looks good, fully air-cont rooms

Worst Rooms: unsure

Computer facilities: I think the computer facilities at this campus are better than Parra, there is a nice lady there around the computer area always assisting people.

Textbooks: Buy from co op.

Parking: Reasonable parking available

Transport: Buses from bankstown station, east hills station take you to front of the uni. Buses are very frequent. Drive to Ashford Rd.

Last edited:

klh

HSC
Great, need werrington and campbelltown.
DOnt know much about campbelltown but it has more food outlets than penrith and nicer food too. More places to hang out and not many birds either.

Chaplains are nice too, gave everyone a lolly before our exams, tried to clam us down. God bless 'em.

I think most libraries have the same facilities, penrith has the same as well.
Same with the newsagents.
Penrith:
Football field, small swamp with ducks.
Parking spots are hard to come by. You have more up on the hill but then you have to walk up when you go home and its pretty steep.
I dont know what the birds are called but during second semester, they would swoop on males while walking up the path through the park to the kingswood campus. Guys should wear a hat as they swoop for your ear lobes.
Public Transport: Alright. Late in the evenings [since we are in the west] but sometimes with luck you get the express train with v. comfortable seats and toilet facilities on the train.
Weather: Penrith is cold early in the morining and hot in the afternoons. Bring a Jacket with ya just in case.
I think there was a thread on vending machines before...Some are ok, some are plain unreliable! MAny Buy them in P building or the library.
Two places for smokers to smoke, actually 3. Outside the library, balcony and the lookout. Mostly in K building.

Tips: Room numbers are confusing as they change depending on buildings. Also some buildings like the X building for engineering is confusing as hell.

Thank you all. Just need Wrrington and campbelltown. I can give cambelltown a go next year as that where i am going.

andyk

HSC
N/A
Campus: Werrington

Tip: Building letters in Werrington South are all preceded by a B. In Werrington North, an A. Teaching is held only at Werrington South (so far). Room numbers aren't a problem; if you're in the right building, just keep looking.

There are only 6 buildings at Werro South. One main pathway connects all buildings.

BA has the Library and Cafeteria. Toilets are clean. There are lockers for bicyclists but I'm not sure how they work. Probably coin-for-key. Outside BA is a popular hangout on sunny days.

BB is where the Student Centre is located, as well as the School of Communications Media Design. It contains one big lecture hall and tutorial rooms. This student centre usually doesn't have any long queuing compared to Kingswood's. There are two toilets each for ladies and gents, and they are also clean. Also upstairs are Computers but they're usually booked for classes so use the ones in the library. Computers in the main library area do not have Microsoft Word if you're looking to type things up; the library has a separate room with computers that have Word however this room might also be booked for classes.

BN is The Cottage, which is a bar and bistro; and Werro's fishbowl/campus newsagent. The food is fine and served quicker than the Cafeteria as there appears to be more people serving there. And there are couches and two TVs there, as well as indoor and outdoor tables, and pool table. The fishbowl won't have as much stuff as Kingswood's though. The toilets are also clean. BN is a good hangout for rainy days.

Going downhill and south: BJ, has one big lecture hall, tutorial rooms, and media rooms and storage. Ladies and gents upstairs and downstairs. Lots of couches for lounging around and sleeping.

Further: BD (pronounced "Buil-Ding"). School of Contemporary Arts. Centre for Contemporary Performance, all the studios and tutorial rooms. Toilets are clean. If you're a performance student, you could go downstairs and use the spacey single toilets, the change rooms, and the showers. If the map still shows it, BD actually does not have a canteen. It's there but it's not open.

Further: BX. School of Engineering Industrial Design. I've never been there but if you're a student there, the parking is right outside the building.

If there's ever a student uprising or march, the Vice-Chancellor's building is at Werrington North, building AA.

If you need to get textbooks, the Co-Op is at Kingswood. Get them early - best times are usually late afternoon and early morning. Compiled readers (made by your lecturers) are usually not available at least until classes begin.

Tip: Get a shuttle bus timetable!
You can walk from Werrington railway station to Werrington North if you feel like but it's uphill, partly paved, and has kangaroos. The route itself is fine as people still use it except at night. Check the Westbus timetable and routes. The 790 no longer runs so your best bet is to alight at Kingswood station and catch the shuttle, or walk from Werro as above. The 780 is more suitable for Kingswood students, as Werro buildings are far from the road.

Carry an umbrella for rainy days as none of the buildings at Werro South are connected to each other.

Other facilities: A giant chessboard near The Cottage. And lots of space.

Vending machines: Snack, coffee, and soft drink machines in BJ, BB. All but coffee at BD.

Drivers enter both Werro South and North via the Great Western Highway. Also Werro South entrance via O'Connell Drive, where there's also an entrance to Kingswood.

-andy

Last edited:

klh

HSC
not that i know of, werrington is a bit of a walk or a wait for the bus. Plenty to hang out, nice cafe in the library (exterior). There is a restaurant thingy, forgot the name...has pool, tv room and lounges . Thats where most people go to, or where i went to when i had some classes over there.
good stuff andyk, now i know where the vice chancellors office is.....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)