Tips for yr11? (1 Viewer)

Scryne

HSC
Just don't want to do very shit.
Subjects:
eco
Math adv (probs to standard if i do ass)
business studies
physics
eng standard
pdhpe

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Favourable performance in Mathematics Advanced (and Mathematics Standard) primarily relies on two elements in both year 11 and year 12. First, you must ensure that you have a good understanding of the concepts taught within each topic. You should seek clarification regarding any concepts that you may not fully understand so that you can avoid making errors in assessment tasks and exams. Second, you need to make sure that you can effectively apply your understanding to a range of questions. For this reason, you should regularly attempt textbook and past paper questions, as that will expose you to a wide range of questions, allowing you to effectively manipulate relevant concepts and achieve favourable results. Through this, and by considering mistakes that you might make in your tasks, you will be able to identify areas of improvement, which you can then work on addressing. Some students may choose to create a document where they would include errors that they have previously made within each topic so that they can avoid making them going forward.

The Business Studies Preliminary course is fairly straightforward in terms of content. Essentially, you should ensure that you are up-to-date with the content. This means regularly studying, as this is a subject with a significant amount of content. Similar to maths, you should ask for help whenever there is a concept that you may not be fully confident with. Additionally, you should ensure that you know the syllabus well, as this is an important element of this subject, and becomes increasingly important in the HSC course.

A good understanding of the modules is emphasised in English Standard. This includes the key ideas and themes within each. Further, you should focus on gaining thorough knowledge and understanding of the multiple literary and visual techniques that you will cover as you will be required to interpret and discuss these as part of your tasks and ultimately in the HSC exams. Lastly, you should aim to regularly seek feedback for your writing (e.g. essays), such as from your teacher. Subsequently, you can implement their feedback and maximise the quality of your writing to ensure favourable performance in this subject. The same applies to the year 12 course.

I hope this helps! :D

Scryne

HSC
Favourable performance in Mathematics Advanced (and Mathematics Standard) primarily relies on two elements in both year 11 and year 12. First, you must ensure that you have a good understanding of the concepts taught within each topic. You should seek clarification regarding any concepts that you may not fully understand so that you can avoid making errors in assessment tasks and exams. Second, you need to make sure that you can effectively apply your understanding to a range of questions. For this reason, you should regularly attempt textbook and past paper questions, as that will expose you to a wide range of questions, allowing you to effectively manipulate relevant concepts and achieve favourable results. Through this, and by considering mistakes that you might make in your tasks, you will be able to identify areas of improvement, which you can then work on addressing. Some students may choose to create a document where they would include errors that they have previously made within each topic so that they can avoid making them going forward.

The Business Studies Preliminary course is fairly straightforward in terms of content. Essentially, you should ensure that you are up-to-date with the content. This means regularly studying, as this is a subject with a significant amount of content. Similar to maths, you should ask for help whenever there is a concept that you may not be fully confident with. Additionally, you should ensure that you know the syllabus well, as this is an important element of this subject, and becomes increasingly important in the HSC course.

A good understanding of the modules is emphasised in English Standard. This includes the key ideas and themes within each. Further, you should focus on gaining thorough knowledge and understanding of the multiple literary and visual techniques that you will cover as you will be required to interpret and discuss these as part of your tasks and ultimately in the HSC exams. Lastly, you should aim to regularly seek feedback for your writing (e.g. essays), such as from your teacher. Subsequently, you can implement their feedback and maximise the quality of your writing to ensure favourable performance in this subject. The same applies to the year 12 course.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you

hafsah_

HSC
Subjects:
eco
business studies
physics
eng standard
pdhpe
I did Maths Advanced in Year 11 and I dropped it towards the end of the Preliminary course, just before the final exam but now that I look back, I would honestly say to stay in Advanced. The majority of the class was failing and I was just passing at the start which gave me the feeling it would be like that the whole year (I was wrong - people picked up), which kinda made me feel bad about myself. I wish I had stayed in Advanced Maths because it is so much better than Standard rn because it's always challenging you, as well as the class has wayy more competition, keeping you on your toes and willing to try harder. Don't get me wrong, Standard Maths is easier than Advanced Maths but Advanced opens more pathways for you, especially if you are looking to do something medical/math-related. Of course, you can always do a bridging course, which will help you acquire the knowledge needed to do the course. When doing Advanced Maths, I would say to find good YT channels that cover the content you will be covering such as; Khan Academy, Professor Leonhard, Eddie Woo, and there's several more you'll find on repeated concepts such as logs, calc, etc. Looking at physics, I believe you'll need Advanced Maths for it because the maths learnt in Standard is nothing close to what is applied in Physics. I didn't do Physics but that's an observation I made when I had to attend one of their classes.

I also did Business Studies and still do. Idk if it was just me but I honestly found Year 11 Business more content-heavy than Year 12 Business (so far at least), because the concepts were all different to each other. However, in Year 12 Business Studies, there are 4 main topics; Operations (easy), Marketing (easiest so far), Finance (not done yet) and HR (not done yet) which all correlate as they are called key business functions. The topics which I've covered so far are pretty easy but there is a lot to memorise but some are also common sense (you can pass by waffling an exam, even though I wouldn't recommend it). In Year 11, the best thing for you to do is to constantly write a report or essay on whatever topic you've done which will help you immensely when it comes to Year 12. Try doing past paper questions because there are usually trick questions here and there and watch out for them.

Advanced Maths and Business Studies are the only subjects I shared with your Year 11 subjects so I hope that helps!
All the best!!!

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Idk if it was just me but I honestly found Year 11 Business more content-heavy than Year 12 Business (so far at least), because the concepts were all different to each other. However, in Year 12 Business Studies, there are 4 main topics; Operations (easy), Marketing (easiest so far), Finance (not done yet) and HR (not done yet) which all correlate as they are called key business functions.

Advanced Maths and Business Studies are the only subjects I shared with your Year 11 subjects so I hope that helps!
All the best!!!
Year 12 is definitely more content heavy (along with every subject since year 12 is 4 terms), but I understand what you mean about them correlating. The year 12 syllabus is definitely easier to follow as its more structured. (be warned for HR however, that topic is the worst)

Scryne

HSC
I did Maths Advanced in Year 11 and I dropped it towards the end of the Preliminary course, just before the final exam but now that I look back, I would honestly say to stay in Advanced. The majority of the class was failing and I was just passing at the start which gave me the feeling it would be like that the whole year (I was wrong - people picked up), which kinda made me feel bad about myself. I wish I had stayed in Advanced Maths because it is so much better than Standard rn because it's always challenging you, as well as the class has wayy more competition, keeping you on your toes and willing to try harder. Don't get me wrong, Standard Maths is easier than Advanced Maths but Advanced opens more pathways for you, especially if you are looking to do something medical/math-related. Of course, you can always do a bridging course, which will help you acquire the knowledge needed to do the course. When doing Advanced Maths, I would say to find good YT channels that cover the content you will be covering such as; Khan Academy, Professor Leonhard, Eddie Woo, and there's several more you'll find on repeated concepts such as logs, calc, etc. Looking at physics, I believe you'll need Advanced Maths for it because the maths learnt in Standard is nothing close to what is applied in Physics. I didn't do Physics but that's an observation I made when I had to attend one of their classes.

I also did Business Studies and still do. Idk if it was just me but I honestly found Year 11 Business more content-heavy than Year 12 Business (so far at least), because the concepts were all different to each other. However, in Year 12 Business Studies, there are 4 main topics; Operations (easy), Marketing (easiest so far), Finance (not done yet) and HR (not done yet) which all correlate as they are called key business functions. The topics which I've covered so far are pretty easy but there is a lot to memorise but some are also common sense (you can pass by waffling an exam, even though I wouldn't recommend it). In Year 11, the best thing for you to do is to constantly write a report or essay on whatever topic you've done which will help you immensely when it comes to Year 12. Try doing past paper questions because there are usually trick questions here and there and watch out for them.

All the best!!!
Thanks for this. When you started the adv math prelim course, did you ever look at the textbook and think "wtf is this?". Thats currently how I'm feeling rn.

liamkk112

HSC
Thanks for this. When you started the adv math prelim course, did you ever look at the textbook and think "wtf is this?". Thats currently how I'm feeling rn.
yup its like that with all the symbols and all that, don't worry you will get familiar with everything over time

liamkk112

HSC
Subjects:
eco
business studies
physics
eng standard
pdhpe
dont underestimate year 11 physics, they're really fundamental to year 12, so definetly make sure u know really well:
- vectors (addition and subtraction are key)
- trig
- suvat equations
- forces and energy
- conservation laws
- electric and magnetic fields
- basic wave stuff (frequency, wavelength, wave equation)
- si units and greek prefixes (u can lose easy marks if u dont know that nano = 10^-9)
- and the working scientifically skills

i know thats a lot, but over the year i recommend u really get a deep understanding of all of these, the year 12 course only builds on top of these concepts

Scryne

HSC
dont underestimate year 11 physics, they're really fundamental to year 12, so definetly make sure u know really well:
- vectors (addition and subtraction are key)
- trig
- suvat equations
- forces and energy
- conservation laws
- electric and magnetic fields
- basic wave stuff (frequency, wavelength, wave equation)
- si units and greek prefixes (u can lose easy marks if u dont know that nano = 10^-9)
- and the working scientifically skills

i know thats a lot, but over the year i recommend u really get a deep understanding of all of these, the year 12 course only builds on top of these concepts
alright, thank you

hafsah_

HSC
Year 12 is definitely more content heavy (along with every subject since year 12 is 4 terms), but I understand what you mean about them correlating. The year 12 syllabus is definitely easier to follow as its more structured. (be warned for HR however, that topic is the worst)
What I meant by content heavy is that Year 11 has more content which doesn't correlate with each other but Year 12 does.

I thought Finance would be harder 😪

hafsah_

HSC
I did several times. I would skip to the last unit of each chapter and just stare at it.
You've got this. Put in effort now and it WILL pay off. It may take some time, and you may see it might take longer for you than others, so try your best from now and develop good study habits so you don't burn yourself out.

All the best!

Scryne

HSC
i might be just a little bit fucked. going thru revision in class for the past week and i'm lost. I'm having to relearn the "assumed knowledge" topics whereas everyone else is just speeding through it like its 1 + 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)