Tips to achieve 99.95? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey everyone !

I'm in year 11 and about to go into year 12 hoping to achieve 99.95 to get into the combined med course at usyd. As I have finished my preliminary exams last week I'm planning to get a head start with my subjects (learning the course and making notes). I already know the ranks I need to achieve but does anyone have tips for what to do from the change between year 11 and year 12 other than studying ahead?

If not, just general tips on what I can do in year 12 (since I really want to use my time effectively) would be useful.

Thank you in advance.

:)

BrokenGlass

HSC
I can give you more detailed advice if you are willing to tell me your school rank, as it can make a difference if you are at a top school, however generally you need to be 1st in your grade.

HSC
I can give you more detailed advice if you are willing to tell me your school rank, as it can make a difference if you are at a top school, however generally you need to be 1st in your grade.
my school rank varies a lot each year but last year it was 50 or 49 but the year before it was top 20.

deswa1

HSC
Thanks but I know what ranks I need to get. Do you have any sort of advice for what to do during the change from year 11 to year 12? or what you did?
How are you going now? That will influence what factors you should change and what you should keep.

HSC
How are you going now? That will influence what factors you should change and what you should keep.
At the moment I'm rank 1st for biology, mathematics and extension english (this is tied with two other girls who have published novels) top 5 for adv english and top 3 for physics and economics.

such_such

HSC
At the moment I'm rank 1st for biology, mathematics and extension english (this is tied with two other girls who have published novels) top 5 for adv english and top 3 for physics and economics.
Impressive

enoilgam

HSC
At a school ranked 40th, you would need to probably be ranked first in all your subjects to have a good chance (one or two seconds wouldnt be too bad, but firsts are very important).

deswa1

HSC
At a school ranked 40th, you would need to probably be ranked first in all your subjects to have a good chance (one or two seconds wouldnt be too bad, but firsts are very important).
Tbh, for a 40's school, you'd want first in everything I think and then do well in externals. For OP, just general- note that a .95 is extremely hard to get. By definition only 50 people in the whole state can get one so don't build all your hopes around it. For .95, you want around 95+ in all subs. General exam tips though for your subs:

- Maths: Don't make retarded mistakes. Do papers and stuff and become super-clinical. Realistically, you want to be finishing the paper in way under the allocated time so you've got heaps of time to check.
- Sciences: Be aware of just how strict the marking guidelines are. In the sciences (contrast to maths), don't finish tests early. In a 3 hour exam, I aim to finish with around 15 mins left. Overanswer every question to cover everything. Use dotpoints/tables/diagrams etc. to convey your point efficiently and effectively.
- Economics: Know more stats than are in the textbook- demonstrate that you can ground your theory in reality. This is what differentiates top enders from ordinary B6 students- you need to be able to use lots of examples etc. in your essays to make them amazing.
- English: Make sure you know your texts so you can answer any question effectively. Prepare a quality essay for each module but make sure that on the day you mould it to the question (too many people just rewrite memorised responses). Manage time perfectly- spend just under 40 mins on the first essay, then forty on the next and then 40 on the last. Planning responses is a waste of time imo- during reading time mentally plan out what you are going to write then BOOM, write for the 2 hours.

Last edited:
HSC
Tbh, for a 40's school, you'd want first in everything I think and then do well in externals. For OP, just general- note that a .95 is extremely hard to get. By definition only 50 people in the whole state can get one so don't build all your hopes around it. For .95, you want around 95+ in all subs. General exam tips though for your subs:

- Maths: Don't make retarded mistakes. Do papers and stuff and become super-clinical. Realistically, you want to be finishing the paper in way under the allocated time so you've got heaps of time to check.
- Sciences: Be aware of just how strict the marking guidelines are. In the sciences (contrast to maths), don't finish tests early. In a 3 hour exam, I aim to finish with around 15 mins left. Overanswer every question to cover everything. Use dotpoints/tables/diagrams etc. to convey your point efficiently and effectively.
- Economics: Know more stats than are in the textbook- demonstrate that you can ground your theory in reality. This is what differentiates top enders from ordinary B6 students- you need to be able to use lots of examples etc. in your essays to make them amazing.
- English: Make sure you know your texts so you can answer any question effectively. Prepare a quality essay for each module but make sure that on the day you mould it to the question (too many people just rewrite memorised responses). Manage time perfectly- spend just under 40 mins on the first essay, then forty on the next and then 40 on the last. Planning responses is a waste of time imo- during reading time mentally plan out what you are going to write then BOOM, write for the 2 hours.
thanks deswa1 ! yeah I've been told many times that it is hard and the ranks I need to get but thank you so much for your advice ! btw it's only ranked 40 because of the small amount of people that actually do hsc since we offer IB

jenslekman

HSC
This; and also, imo deswa1 would be a great eco tutor :lol:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Be the very best, that noone ever was.

Seriously, to get 99.95 you have to smash everything. You're going to have to smash 2u maths and compete against all those top 3 unit kids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)