TIPS? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and cannot quite decide what my approach to this year should be. Should I take it easy, and relax before going hard out in Year 12, or should I work harder this year in preparation for the next? Should it be a worry if I don't ace every single subject in Prelim?

What exactly is the best approach to Year 11?

Thanks for your time, guys! :)

iBibah

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and cannot quite decide what my approach to this year should be. Should I take it easy, and relax before going hard out in Year 12, or should I work harder this year in preparation for the next? Should it be a worry if I don't ace every single subject in Prelim?

What exactly is the best approach to Year 11?

Thanks for your time, guys! :)
It's best to experiment with study methods to see what works, and develop good study habits. Your marks are not a priority, but if you develop good study habits, you should get decent marks.

Don't completely relax, but don't go hard either. Also if you do maths, try as hard as you can in it.

HSC
It's best to experiment with study methods to see what works, and develop good study habits. Your marks are not a priority, but if you develop good study habits, you should get decent marks.

Don't completely relax, but don't go hard either. Also if you do maths, try as hard as you can in it.

Thanks for that! Why is it that I should work hardest in Maths? I'm doing 3u at the moment and it's quite a killer. My teacher's flying through all the topics and I'v barely gotten the chance to let it all sink in. It's stressing me out! Not sure how to improve :/

iBibah

HSC
Thanks for that! Why is it that I should work hardest in Maths? I'm doing 3u at the moment and it's quite a killer. My teacher's flying through all the topics and I'v barely gotten the chance to let it all sink in. It's stressing me out! Not sure how to improve :/
Because prelim maths is important for hsc maths. Whereas other subjects, prelim isnt important for the most part.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Because prelim maths is important for hsc maths. Whereas other subjects, prelim isnt important for the most part.
Yep, 30% of Prelim Maths can be assessed in HSC. Plus, learning the stuff in Prelim (espicially in 3U) will be a foundation to the topics you learn in HSC.
If you can only focus on one of your subjects, I would really really recommend Maths :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, 30% of Prelim Maths can be assessed in HSC. Plus, learning the stuff in Prelim (espicially in 3U) will be a foundation to the topics you learn in HSC.
If you can only focus on one of your subjects, I would really really recommend Maths :)
Maths isn't really that hard, it's only the last 1 or two questions that trick people. Even in year 11, you can do part of the hsc papers.

RishBonjour

HSC
. My approach was the "do nothing in year 11 and then cover prelim + HSC maths, along with other subs in one year" Don't recommend. You should be on top of your prelim maths now, because it will not only explicitly appear in HSC exam, but many of the last questions will require techniques you learn in prelim (e.g. discriminant, polynomials etc) to get the answer.

what subjects are you doing?

Maths isn't really that hard, it's only the last 1 or two questions that trick people. Even in year 11, you can do part of the hsc papers.
that applies to mainly 3u students.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
. My approach was the "do nothing in year 11 and then cover prelim + HSC maths, along with other subs in one year" Don't recommend. You should be on top of your prelim maths now, because it will not only explicitly appear in HSC exam, but many of the last questions will require techniques you learn in prelim (e.g. discriminant, polynomials etc) to get the answer.

Yes true, but it is true for 2U as well.

HSC

Thanks! I'll definitely try my best to stay on top of maths from now :) I'm currently doing Advanced English, 3 Unit maths, extension english, society and culture, biology and chemistry :D

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks! I'll definitely try my best to stay on top of maths from now :) I'm currently doing Advanced English, 3 Unit maths, extension english, society and culture, biology and chemistry :D
Good luck!

RishBonjour

HSC
don't know about chemistry but year 11 biology has almost NOTHING to do with HSC (except 1 or two points). Having said that, you still want to perform well in year 11.
How are you with English adv? I would suggest asking your teacher or tutors (if you go tutoring) on how you can improve your english essays and other forms that may be asked (you don't want english dragging your atar...). Start this ASAP.

good luck!

study1234

HSC
You should most definitely try in Year 11, as the Preliminary Course is generally assumed knowledge for the HSC. Also, it's good to develop to good study habits and attitudes going into Year 12. If you really feel like your wasting your time in Year 11, just go ahead and learn Year 12 content/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)