TMAT! The Martial Arts Thread (1 Viewer)

guy

HSC
Originally posted by Takuya
Wing Chun is all about close quarters combat... My friend started teaching me a bit and their techniques work really well. I even used some in a real situation and it worked, so I was pretty happy.

I've come to the conclusion that all those sports based martial arts are pretty much useless, because people may be considered best in their art because they won a whole lot of tournaments, but guess what - tournaments have rules. In a real fight there aren't any rules, and your attacker is going to kick you in the nuts, punch you in the face and everything.

If you're interested about Wing Chun I found a video on the website with the one inch punch at the end. There's another part there (forgot what it's called) that GM Fung does too:

http://www.wingchun.com.au/multimedia/open day/openday_hi.wmv
people who do tournaments aren't at all disadvantaged on the street. (unless its non contact or something)

guy

HSC
yeah and don't think people who spar and have to kick in certain areas are THINKING "imgaine if this got someone in the balls"

guy

HSC
hey cyph i think youde enjoy this martial arts forum, used to be my home away from home

um
jubei or something (looks for bookmark)
http://planetjubei.com/mazone/
its big and profiles have where ppl are from and what martial arts and stuff

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by Cyph
I stated before that I study boxing, kickboxing, BJJ and a touch of wrestling. Kind of similar to JKD's 'using all ways, bound by none' even though JKD isn't a style, but I am gearing up towards a MMA fight in the future.

You can patronise and mock me all you want, but the fact of the matter is my training is real, nobody can take that away from me. I've gloved up and taken my beatings - hell, I train with some of the best in Australia and I'm now delivering them as well (still taking them as well). You cannot learn to hit, or avoid being hit without being hit.

I know what I can and cannot do from pressure testing my stuff in sparring based on experience, not because my instructor says 'when you do this, this is what will happen'.. can you say the same for yourself?
Yeah go for it with the MMA lol

I think I'll stick to real self defence instead of trying to build a tough guy image :p

guy

HSC
real self defence looks really cool, i always see adds for it in magazines

self defence is nothing against multiple apponents if you can't run, you get tackled or pushed over

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Umm... Karate (Go-kan-ryu) (yellow/orange-tip).
And a small amount of Kendou.
And an even smaller amount of Aikidou.

I _really_ want to have another go at Aikidou. I'm not very flexible, mind, so it might a tad difficult. The lower grades of GKR seem to be focused on meeting force with force, ie. all the basic blocks are usually used to thwack the opponent's attack out of the way.

I might be terribly wrong, mind.

Kn1ght_M4r3

Yeah i was at GKR to it was pretty shit man.
Make me fight with baby kids like wtfux0r? lol
i have to get 0n my kneez and fight them like man that was gay. i just quit after that, i wanna go back to some self defense after i finish hsc, but not sure where yet. heehhe

stop n0w hurrotisrobbo u can get ur belts easy, by just paying them money lol.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by guy
ide get defensive its half true for so very many karate dojos out there. but kyokushin and most dojos i know is the exception

and its sooo not about who can kick the highest, thats tai kwon do for sureee. karate would be more about who can kick the hardest

also, not all martial arts have to originate from japan, not even asia

anyway, for every martial art, its all about the dojo
I overgeneralised a bit, but really too many karate dojos give martial arts a bad name.

As for the "...from Japan" bit, quite a few karate dojos try and sucker people in with images of ancient Japanese dudes using THEIR martial art to floor people, and it's all mystic and secret. Pfft. Karate's not even 100 years old, and it's American, and these guys call it "the way of Samurai". What a joke.

guy

HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
lol, man... have you seen Blitz? Some of the shit they have in there...

there's a TKD guy called Zibby or something and last month or the month before he defends against a guy grabbing his lapels and headbutting him while he's sitting down. He falls back on his chair, kicking the guy in the nuts, then puts his shins around the guy's neck and chokes him. :rolleyes:

Month after, he runs up a wall, does a flip in mid air and kicks the guy: rolleyes:

I scaned it, it was too good not to :D

http://home.kooee.com.au/schonberger/rofl.jpg
hahahahahahaha thats classic
yeah some of the stuff in blitz is real good choreography, my mum gets it when i'm sick or injured god bless her
some of its good
sometimes people i know are in there looking all hardcore in tournament photo vs photo type things

Lex: yeah i know what you mean, but our karate headquarters IS in japan and we have to send for stuff and get stuff and it always takes freaken ages to get what not. even though in our branch, the head dojo is run by russians and i havn't come across any japanese, japanese peeps are constantly coming out and doing seminars and stuff. and you have to learn enough japanese to be able to take a class anywhere in the world also

but haha i went to a karate near my house, and it was just this little fat cunt who looked like ron jeremy going "OK, MIDDLE ROUNDHOUSE KICK" and he was fat
and i was like... why do people want to learn karate off a fat person who obviously is shit

allyteaded

Originally posted by Takuya
My Friend is a senior instructor at Jim Fung's (??) Wing Chun academy.. 2 of my friends have come from Japan through that school to study. In Japan I did JUDO but the Jim Fung Wing Chun is amazing!! He has a video on his website somewhere of the ONE INCH PUNCH. I think Jim Fung has a school soon in Tokyo, but I saw other Wing Chun school from other masters and they are crap. I want to start but I go back to Japan next year so it's a little tough because I am from OSAKA.
Omigosh... I totally forgot to keep track of this forum! Well - first I forgot which section it was under ... next HSC started and yeah... So much to read! .o_O.

Which branch does your friend teach at, Takuya?

Waves to Dina *Hi!* Sorry late!

I've heard so much about the One Inch Punch... and have tried it... hahahha note tried.... well - I managed to get them to step back! hahah... you won't believe how incredibly hard it is.... I haven't seen it though. I can't be bothered dwnloading with this stupid dial up modem...

Wing Chun's really based around structure. So shorties like me still have hope beating the inexperienced biggish ghoul out for their purse...

Actually it's a combination of strength, speed, structure, forward force, thought, reaction but structure is basically what you never cease to work on - we have three forms. I know one. Si Lum Tao (Eeek! I hope I don't get in trouble for spelling...) And the next one is taught in Level 1 methinks... or even Grade 4.

... and it relies on contact with opponent. We rely on maintaining contact to know where the opponent is directing their force. Hence why we practice Chi Sau so much <- I dunno if I spelt that right... And basically - our defences are all attacks. Even our punches and kicks are defences...

We also rely on ... a lot of circular movements. I can't explain them in words ^_^;

The most fun exercises are the ones with dummy weapons! ^_^ hehe... we use toilet roles and plastic butter knives... brooms and ropes. Fun!!

But my instructors always encourage knowing other forms of martial art. They're more concerned about it in terms of self defence on the street. It's an advantage because you can compare... and the techniques are open to interpretation to some degree - some people have to adjust to get comfortable with it - for example, unflexible people tend to have to pivot with side kicks - but there's nothing wrong with that. Just that it's prefered that you don't move your body so much so it's harder for the opponent to suspect your next move.

My friend who used to do Tae Kwon Do ... we tried to do some sort of fighting thing - but because of all her rules - no strikes below stomach or soemthing... We couldn't do it right - hahah... well, we were still beginners. All my kicks aimed for knees and shins...

They say that Westmead won the best Wing Chun branch this year again. It's the only one I go to (besides the City for gradings...) We used to do a lot of sparring - but people got carried away and an idiot who was fooling around got hurt (see what happens when you try to be stupid?) And yeah... hardly anymore sparring activities.

Wow... Wing Chun is very much appreciated! I feel - very lucky to have accidentally picked this martial art out of all the ones available in the yellow pages. Wait sorry - it was no accident it was fate <- hahah... my attempt of philosophy. Anymew, I wasn't planning to go onto levels but ... hey ... why not? Oh yeah... it's expensive..... >_<

In australia... I think there are three level Fives or something. (The highest level is 6)

Does anyone know any good Iaido branches in Sydney?? I still wanna learn sword fighting...

Last edited:

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I do tae kwon do, and been doing about six years, or close to.
When I get into Uni I intend to take up their forms of martial arts. I think one of 'ems kickboxing.
What I really want to find is a place to learn judo. I mean it's pretty cool being able to break bones with a few kicks and punches, now i wanna learn to throw people across the room.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
I do tae kwon do, and been doing about six years, or close to.
When I get into Uni I intend to take up their forms of martial arts. I think one of 'ems kickboxing.
What I really want to find is a place to learn judo. I mean it's pretty cool being able to break bones with a few kicks and punches, now i wanna learn to throw people across the room.

i begged my dad to do kickboxing.. he won let me :( i'll guess i'll have to wait until uni :(

m3h_m3h

HSC
wats ems kickboxing??
i wanna take up mu tai next yr coz i here its pretty intense etc, but i havent really looked much into it.
can anyone tell me the different styles of kick boxing and differences?
cheers :D

apollo

I did TKD when I was younger (10-15). I quit because I wanted something new, but I got lazy :(

I haven't found anything yet... I'm considering Jow Ga or Wing Chun. Anyone do Jow Ga?

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
TMA ---> lame and infeffective

i used to do Vovinam at cabra then i quit after like 2 weeks

Doin' Judo (dont consider it to be a TMA since its relatively new and always evolving). Looking for a Muay Thai place.

LOL this old topic is rising from the dead.

Iunny

Has anyone heard of the martial art Capoeira?

do you have any suggestions for a physically very unfit person who wants to get fit and get slim through learning martial arts?

sei

HSC
Isn't Tae Kwon Do used by many country's police forces and armies for hand-to-hand combat? (Contrary to several people here seeing it as an impractical fighting style).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)