To all BSci students (1 Viewer)

gracie007

HSC
I'm considering doing this next year. not sure about the major though. what does everyone do? do you enjoy the course? how many lectures/tutes do you have per week?
In first year, what is the timetable like? Anyone kind enough to post there's as an example?

Thanks all. :ninja:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Maths. Yes. 3 lectures, 1 tute per subject.

Timetable in first year is 8-between 2 and 5 most days, if you're lucky you might get wednesday off.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
My friends who do science degree have totally shit timetables.

They do like 20-something hours per week. I do 12.

One of them, their latest morning start (9am as opposed to her normal 8am) is earlier than my earliest (10am).

Plus science students have those lame 3 hour labs.

Essentially, for someone like me, it sounds like hell.

rama_v

HSC
I'm not doing pure BSc but I know many who are. You can expect roughly 25 hours a week, and also expect to come in every day (if you are lucky you may be able to cram it all in four days, but if you do science subjects with long labs, then this is unlikely). It's hard work but if you like science I am sure you will enjoy it. (This is in general not only for USyd)

tennille

HSC
First year is about 24-26 hours per week. You'll most likely have 8 am starts due to maths. I'm currently in my second year and I do Chemistry, Statistics and Biochemistry. Last semester my hours were 24 hours one week and 15 hours the next. This smester, my earliest start is 9 am, but that's only once a week. Other days I either start at 10 or 11.

Libbster

HSC
be prepared for long hours. i do adv sci and have 24hrs a week :( labs=gay

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It seems to me that the obvious solution would be to do subjects which don't have labs.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Depending on the subject, labs might work out to be less hours.

Eg MBLG/BCHM: 26 lectures + 6 5 hour labs = 56 hours/semester
MATH2xxx: 5 hours/week = 65 hours/semester

lala2

Banned
HSC
Or do psychology--there's no labs for that. Maths also--1 tute as opposed to 3 hour labs. Though you may be lucky and get demonstrators whose sole aim I swear is to get you out by the 2-2.5 hour mark. I experienced that for both biologies this and last semester.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
lala2 said:
Maths also--1 tute as opposed to 3 hour labs.
Maths also has 2 lectures/3cp or 4 lectures/6cp, the most of any science subject.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Templar said:
Maths also has 2 lectures/3cp or 4 lectures/6cp, the most of any science subject.
In third year we have three lectures/one tute a week for 6cp subjects.

fr0ggy

HSC
i'm doing adv sci/arts with 24 hours per week, mostly labs. still manage to finish early (1-2pm) twice a week. hours depends what you do. if you want to work a lot as well it gets a bit harder, but still manageable. =P

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
doing med science
per week:
chem - 3hrs of lectures, 3 hr lab and 1 hr tutorial
physics - 3hrs of lectures, 3 hr lab and 1 hr tutorial
math - 2hrs of lectures, 1hr tutorial
math - 2hrs of lectures, 1hr tutorial
mblg - 2hrs of lectures, 5 hr lab every fortnight, optional tutorials - 1hr

next yr will be ace though in comparison.

LostAuzzie

HSC
Just Completed 1st Year of BSci Adv:

1st Semester - Chem Adv, Physics Adv, Maths
20 hours per week
Started out doing IT as well which made it 27 hours per week

2nd Semester - Chem Adv, Physics Adv, Astronomy, Maths
23 hours per week

Although in niether semester did I do the full 24cp, I did 18cp in 1st semester and 21cp in 2nd semester

I found the chemistry labs the best part of my week, especially in 2nd semester and so they went by very quickly. You quickly get used to the long hours and if you enjoy science it's really not that bad.

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
Second year chem is very different from first year. You get marked on your lab reports and the yield of your compound (organic labs) and accuracy of your experiment (inorganic labs). The labs run for 4 hours in second year.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What kinda stuff (e.g. ideas, concepts, experiments etc) do you guys learn in 1st year Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Maths? (including advanced level) Also, how much of it requires revisiting HSC material?

tennille

HSC
The concepts learnt in first year chemistry, particularly in first semester, is just a continuation of the HSC course. You'll learn about orbitals, VSEPR theory, electrolysis, the atmosphere, equilibrium constants, etc. I don't think advanced chemistry and normal chemistry differ significantly from one another.

Second semester, on the other hand, consists of a lot of organic chemistry, which is pretty new. Be prepared for it, because there is a lot to learn (all the mechanisms of organic reactions, etc). You'll also learn about acids and bases in second smeester (pH, etc).

The labs aren't too bad. You'll do titrations, flame tests, extractions, etc.

First semester physics involves learning about mechanics, waves, thermodynamics, and if you do the advanced course, chaos. The course has a lot of maths, so be prepared. The labs are shocking. I don't how I managed through them. They are difficult to understand, but if you just read the experiment and do as it says, you should be able to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)