To drop or not to drop question (1 Viewer)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HSC
ok heres the story, I am getting 90%+ in 11 units (5 2u courses + 1 Ext Course) and ranking high but am getting an average of 54% in 2u maths (which makes a total of 13 units) I dislike it ALOT and am never motivated enough to study for it

I aim to do economics and law at Uni. Probably economics first seeing as the UAI straight into combined law is high and then after completing that degree or doing well in the first year, moving into law. In most uni entry requirements for economics it says "assumed knowledge: mathematics"
I read in the UAC guide that if i don't do the assumed knowledge course I "may still get a place". To me this sounds like the selectors will look for those who do mathematics when choosing students.

It would take a MASSIVE pressure off me if I could drop maths without worrying about my chances to get into courses.

Any UNI students who are doing economics, students who have researched it or ANYONE who could offer me some guidance please do.

fatalkaiser

W-Smack!
HSC
I sort of know how you feel. Lets just say maths has never been my fave subject(ok its my worst) but im doing an engineering course at uni, which lists maths as assumed knowledge. Thats pretty much the only reason i chose 2u maths(and there was nothing else on that line i wanted to do)

But hey, the uai is calculated on your best units, so even if you fail maths miserably it wont matter as long as you continue to do well in the other subjects. Even if you dont study hard for maths, at least you'll have that assumed knowledge.

So, personally, i wouldn't drop it, and just see how things go. But if youre finding it all too stressful and think you'd benefit from dropping maths, then do it. Only you know whats right for you :)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
jb_nc said:
Hmm, I've been told that undergraduate economics doesn't involve much mathematics. You could probably drop mathematics and still get by in economics. I'm not even sure at my university (usyd) if you need to take any maths classes to graduate.
You have been misinformed. I started commerce this year at UNSW and the core subjects are exactly the same for economics. You need to do quantitative methods, which is mathematics. If you don't do 2U you will struggle so much...you wont pass. My 3U and 4U friends are finding it challenging. You need to know about functions, calculus and financial mathematics(you learn a little in the hsc...compound interest, annuities etc).

Whoever tells you the math in economics is easy, well they are either incredibly smart, or lying. Don't think you can just skip doing 2U for the hsc and catch up at uni. It is very fast paced. Even if you did a bridging course, it will only provide the basics, which you would learn in 2U anyway.

If you want to do economics, do not drop 2U math. I struggled a bit last year and ended up with 82 for the hsc(not great, but I was happy). Just work hard

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Loz_metalhead said:
You have been misinformed. I started commerce this year at UNSW and the core subjects are exactly the same for economics. You need to do quantitative methods, which is mathematics. If you don't do 2U you will struggle so much...you wont pass. My 3U and 4U friends are finding it challenging. You need to know about functions, calculus and financial mathematics(you learn a little in the hsc...compound interest, annuities etc).

Whoever tells you the math in economics is easy, well they are either incredibly smart, or lying. Don't think you can just skip doing 2U for the hsc and catch up at uni. It is very fast paced. Even if you did a bridging course, it will only provide the basics, which you would learn in 2U anyway.

If you want to do economics, do not drop 2U math. I struggled a bit last year and ended up with 82 for the hsc(not great, but I was happy). Just work hard
Quantitative analysis isn't very hard, seriously. How do I know this? The assumed knowledge is 60 in 2 unit. You have to be pretty daft to get below that.

http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/economics_business/06_03_beco.shtml

Post-graduate economics has a lot more mathematics both of a harder degree and more of it.

aussiechica7

HSC
sorry 2 b blunt, but if you're not confident in mathematics (yet seem 2 b doing extraordinarily well in other subjects) r u sure economics is for u?

HSC
jb_nc said:
Quantitative analysis isn't very hard, seriously. How do I know this? The assumed knowledge is 60 in 2 unit. You have to be pretty daft to get below that.
Don't assume that since you have the assume knowledge you are going to find it easy. In my maths subject the assume knowledge is 70 in two unit (or at least pre-req) and people who did two unit and got high 70's are struggling heaps. I'm ok because I've done three unit but others not so.

HSC
Don't drop it if you need it for uni. But don't take it TOO seriously because you want to maximise your mark to get the best possible UAI right.

HSC
Uhm matrices, differentiation, functions, sigma notation and algebra so far. Its not too bad so far since its pretty much year 12 stuff but matrices is annoying.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Well you shouldn't even be commenting about the difficulty of eco math. The assumed knowledge of 60 in the hsc is way off in my opinion. It should be atleast >75. If you can't cope with 2U, you wont be able to do the maths in QMA or QMB.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
watatank said:
What maths do you guys do?
We're doing complex numbers in differential calculus and vectors in linear algebra. You'll probably get to that soon enough.

HSC
drop 2unit maths so since you already stuffed up by getting low marks. And if you drop it you have more time to concentrate on other subjects.

Jerruy

HSC
I have been reliably informed that you are not in any way given less an opportunity to get into a Uni course if you do no Maths as someone who does 4U. Its all done on UAI. Assumed knowledge means you need the knowlegde for the course but it does not stop you getting in. Just do a bridge subject at Uni and catch up if the Maths at Uni is too hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)