To underline or not to underline that is the question! (1 Viewer)

Jarm

In past exams that i have written I have been confused weather to Underline references to the titles of tests or to put them in "quotation marks" or is 'single quotation marks' enough?

Different teachers have makred different essays differently and this has led to my confusion.

So when refering to a poem such as Americanized is it

1. Americanized

2. "Americanized"

3. 'Americanized'

Also when quoting a sentence or words should i use single or double quotations?

Thankyou

Jarm

I know they wont mark me down it would juat make me feel more confident knowing.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
quotes = " "

damn i forgot abt this rule its all different for film, book and poem
but i think its " "

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sukiyaki
quotes = " "
damn i forgot abt this rule its all different for film, book and poem
but i think its " "
thats what ive been taught, to do quotes, book names, etc in " " coz then, say your doing something from a book you might be like "blah blah blah 'bleh bleh bleh' blah blah blah", coz you need to differentiate between a quote and when someone is speaking within a quote

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i've been told to underline all texts, but if it's an article ffrom a newspaper u underline the newspaper name, ".." the title of the article. basically, u underline the big, main thing, " ..." all the things FROM the main thing.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Underline text names (it's a substitute for italics), and use quotation marks when quoting (single or double doesn't matter).

chris42

HSC
I've been told to underline for all texts, but in terms of texts like macbeth can get confusing because Macbeth is a character and the text.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
just dont write your quotes in red..i did that for last yrs yearlies and the teacher had a go at me for it

kkorpz

Casual Wanderer
HSC
I put the title of texts in capitals.. makes it so much easier. You can use ".." for quotes because it makes it clearer that you've quoted from texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)