To write not to write..? (Monologues) (1 Viewer)

gabbus

HSC
Heyoh.

I have a little bit of a dillemma which is: Do I write my own monologue and ignore my teacher, who when I asked her just gave me an ominous sort of glare and said "I don't reccommend it.", or should I start looking for a script now?

And, if writing my own monologue is in fact a stupid idea, does anyone have advice regarding scripts? I wanted to write something about someone who has a humorous sort of mental breakdown, and I don't know if any scripts actually exist about that.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The reason most teacher's don't recommend writing your own monologue is because the examiners aren't marking your writing skills. If your writing is bad, then that's what will be shown in your performance. For this reason, it is easier to perform something that has been already written, generally because the text should be (hopefully) a complete theatrical statement.

However, many people find that there simply is no script that they feel reflects them individually. If you whole hearted believe this, then perhaps writing is for you. Just make sure you have the language skills (English Advanced or higher is a bonus) necessary to do this.

Good Luck.

Katie-Anne207

HSC
Hi,

The best way to find that sort of script would be to contact your local theatre company president, ask them for a list of shows they have done throughout the years and let them know what kind of script you are looking for....
If they personally don't know of anything, don't leave/hangup until they give you the name of at least one person who they think could help you. Make sure you're persistant with this, after all it is your HSC...don't settle for second best!

Good Luck!

samwise1

Junior Vice President
HSC
Hi,

My teacher said that her last year 12 class wrote there performances and some of them nearly didnt have them ready in time to perform them. So it would be best to take it out of a script or a book or film character u like.:cool:

samipoo33

HSC
Well i think if u r a good writer and have an idea u have 2 options write a new 1... or combine meterial from different things.

memadison

HSC
gabbus said:
Heyoh.

I have a little bit of a dillemma which is: Do I write my own monologue and ignore my teacher, who when I asked her just gave me an ominous sort of glare and said "I don't reccommend it.", or should I start looking for a script now?

And, if writing my own monologue is in fact a stupid idea, does anyone have advice regarding scripts? I wanted to write something about someone who has a humorous sort of mental breakdown, and I don't know if any scripts actually exist about that.
i was thinking the same thing, and i searched aimlessly for a monologue that i liked...but i couldnt, and it took me while to figure that out... and im not that widely read with plays.

my teacher told me that writing can go both ways and encouraged it since im strong in english.
- since you write it you can excel in performing it, aswell as if you write it you can get lazy with performance and character development.

im still kinda refining mine and trying to have some background for my character, its a bout a young girl stuck in a kind of story-book world.

i reckon if you like writing go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)