Too much? Just right? (1 Viewer)

typingtimtam

HSC
So I've got a creative writing piece and I've memorised it. It's roughly a 1000 words and I can write in 35 minutes. Is this good? Then I can have 5mins to plan and alter my story where it needs it in relation to the question. Or too long?

iBibah

HSC
So I've got a creative writing piece and I've memorised it. It's roughly a 1000 words and I can write in 35 minutes. Is this good? Then I can have 5mins to plan and alter my story where it needs it in relation to the question. Or too long?
Well generally creatives can get full marks with less words than an essay. you're a decent writer so i suggest this:
- If this is a task for just a creative, i.e One period to write the creative then thats it, then go with this long one
- but for trials and hsc i reckon it'd be best to shorten it a bit and then make your essay longer, cause its harder to get marks in the essay per word.

GabbyS

HSC
I reckon that word count sounds good! But apart from just memorising word-for-word the story, have a back up plan. Some advice I was given for creative writing is to have scaffolds: outline in notes or dot points the basic structure, features, characters and themes/concepts of your piece, and see what aspects you would be able to adapt to a specific question. Have about 2 scaffolds for AoS, and more for EE1. For the hsc, there is no point memorising word-for-word a creative writing piece for AoS that relates strongly to belonging to place, if you get into the exam and find they have a question about relationships and all you have is a memorised piece and nowhere to go. I know some people are quick at adapting under exam conditions, but it's not a risk I'd take. Best of luck!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The word-count you have for your story sounds good, but be prepared to extend your story if necessary to fit the stimulus:) Learn to adapt your story to different visual and literal stimuluses-best wishes for you to ace your exams:)

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
Is there an epidemic of laziness in the HSC these days?

There is seriously no point memorising creatives. Why? Imagine that you're in ancient Egypt, and you have to get past a Sphinx which is going to ask you a question - any question. If you don't answer correctly, you DIE. Painfully, with lasers and piranhas and things. Don't ask how the piranhas get to Egypt. That's not relevant. What's relevant is how you prepare to make sure you don't DIE.

Common sense dictates that you would try and get an idea of what questions the Sphinx has asked before, who's managed to not die, how they've done so, et c.

Memorising a creative is like saying "my answer to the Sphinx's question, regardless of whatever she asks, is going to be GREEN BANANAS."

You are far, FAR better off writing different stories every few days, experimenting with creative techniques (like imagery, dialogue, and so on), and getting a feel for what sounds authentic/legit and what sounds tropey/cliched/melodramatic. Even more than what strawberrye says, you should be working to improve how you generate ideas, as well as adaptations, to different visual and literal stimuli. Adaptation and improvisation, not rigid memorisation to arbitrary word-counts, is key to survival. And trust me, you don't want to be on the butt end of natural selection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)