Top 10 of 2007 time! (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hi all, not posted here for a while. I watched a lot of movies lately so I got to thinking about a top 10 list for 2007. When I say 2007, I mean movies produced in 2007, rather than released in Australia in 2007. So a movie like Juno, for instance, would count as 2007, while a movie like Inland Empire would not. Check IMDB if you're not sure

Here's mine, in no order

1. Across the Universe
2. Once
3. Eastern Promises
4. No Country For Old Men
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
6. There Will Be Blood
7. Zodiac
8. Lust, Caution
9. I'm Not There
10. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Also liked: Juno, Charlie Wilson's War, 3:10 to Yuma, The Darjeeling Limited, This is England, Superbad, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 days, The Bourne Ultimatum, Enchanted, 1408, The Orphanage

Didn't like: Ratatouille, Atonement, The Brave One, The Simpsons Movie, Death at a Funeral, I Am Legend

Haven't seen: The Assassination of Jesse James, Michael Clayton, Gone Baby Gone, Lars and the Real Girl, Away From Her, The Kite Runner, American Gangster, The Savages, Into the Wild, Sweeney Todd, The Savages, La Vie En Rose, Persepolis

A pretty strong year for movies. While there were only 4 or 5 movies that really amazed me (that'd be my top 5), it seemed to average standard of movies was higher than recent history. There were very few real disappointments, and after having seen so many enjoyable movies, it seems there's still a spate of highly rated movies I haven't gotten around to watching yet.

Last edited:

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Yeah, it did seem to be quite a good year for movies. Here are my top 10 in no particular order:

1. Atonement (the ending was a bit of a let down but McAvoy and the soundtrack carried the movie)
2. Pan's Labyrinth (which is borderline 2006/2007 but I'm putting it here anyway)
3. Ratatouille (yes, i know it's a kid's movie but i thought it was very well done)
4. Bourne Ultimatum (the camerawork made my head spin but the plot was elaborate without being too contrived)
5. Die Hard 4.0 (Yippi ki yay, mofos)
6. Sweeney Todd (Johnny Depp singing and slicing off heads. Need I say more?)
7. Sicko (a bit silly at times, but it makes its point)
8. Freedom Writers
9. Hairspray
10. Hot Fuzz

walrusbear

HSC
benny returns!
i have an incomplete list in the other 2007 thread - still so much to see/catch up on

Benny_ said:
1. Across the Universe
2. Once
3. Eastern Promises
4. No Country For Old Men
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
6. There Will Be Blood
7. Zodiac
8. Lust, Caution
9. I'm Not There
10. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Also liked: Juno, Charlie Wilson's War, 3:10 to Yuma, The Darjeeling Limited, This is England, Superbad, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 days, The Bourne Ultimatum, Enchanted, 1408, The Orphanage

Didn't like: Ratatouille, Atonement, The Brave One, The Simpsons Movie, Death at a Funeral, I Am Legend

Haven't seen: The Assassination of Jesse James, Michael Clayton, Gone Baby Gone, Lars and the Real Girl, Away From Her, The Kite Runner, American Gangster, The Savages, Into the Wild, Sweeney Todd, The Savages, La Vie En Rose, Persepolis
across the universe and once??
i haven't actually seen them but that is some high praise
once looked annoying as shit to me, likewise across the universe
the rest of the list looks like what mine would i'm sure, if i'd seen twbb, diving bell etc

live.fast

HSC
N/A
1. bourne ultimatum
2. bourne ultimatum
3. bourne ultimatum
4. bourne ultimatum
5. bourne ultimatum
6. bourne ultimatum
7. bourne ultimatum
8. bourne ultimatum
9. bourne ultimatum
10. bourne ultimatum

icecreamdisco

HSC
walrus, once is very good and much much better than the trailer advertises. but yeah, across the universe, Benny? granted i'm not a huge beatles fan, but everything i read/saw from that film made me avoid it like the plague.

by oz dates:

1. no country for old men
2. zodiac
3. half nelson
4. old joy
5. lady chatterley
6. death proof
7. into the wild
8. hot fuzz
9. the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford
10. joe strummer: the future is unwritten

can't be fucked with other categories.

and welcome back Benny!

walrusbear

HSC
what did you think of eastern promises, icecream? i seem to remember you liking a history of violence...

i'm bored enough to do this; this is my list from the other thread, slightly modified

top 10 (end of 06/2007/early 08)
no country for old men
jesse james
zodiac
lives of others
eastern promises
rescue dawn
inland empire
death proof/grindhouse
darjeeling limited
half nelson (this was released in 07 here??)

good/fairly good:
apocalypto, pan's labyrinth, sweeney todd, hot fuzz

underwhelming/bad/mediocre:
superbad
simpsons movie
good girl
knocked up
tmnt
bobby
black snake moan
transformers
hostel 2
smokin' aces
beowulf

worst:

still to see (lots):
lust, caution, there will be blood, away from her, 3:10 to yuma, the good shepherd, good german, science of sleep, in the wild, control, this is england, bourne 3, die hard 4, once, across the universe, charlie wilson, michael clayton, atonement, etc etc.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I thought I'd hate Across the Universe too. But I was on a 10 hour flight to Hong Kong yesterday for the Chinese holidays so I had a lot of time on my hands and was really surprised by how much I liked it. I don't know how much the Beatles have to do with it. Quite a lot I expect, but it worked much better than I thought it would. It is a love it or hate it movie, but it's worth a watch regardless.

What happened to the other half of Grindhouse over here? Did it actually get released?

walrusbear

HSC
death proof was released in its fuller cut in general cinemas

and grindhouse played for 1 week at the chauvel a few weeks ago

icecreamdisco

HSC
Benny, death proof (the 110 min. cannes cut) got a release in november, but grindhouse is finally touring the country; it's started a few weeks ago at the chauvel and was supposed to run for a week, but has now been extended.

EDIT: blast!

walrus, i liked eastern promises plenty; just didn't make my list on account of this being a very strong year for cinema. i preferred history of violence more because it seemed like there was more going on beneath the surface, the tone of it was more interesting... this one just seemed like a good piece of classical storytelling, with it's themes foregrounded so that they're unmissable (eg, isn't there a moment where watts' character says something to the effect of "birth and death sometimes coincide"?). that said, lots of menace and atmosphere, and an amazing performance from mortensen.

also, i thought you liked superbad?

walrusbear

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
walrus, i liked eastern promises plenty; just didn't make my list on account of this being a very strong year for cinema. i preferred history of violence more because it seemed like there was more going on beneath the surface, the tone of it was more interesting... this one just seemed like a good piece of classical storytelling, with it's themes foregrounded so that they're unmissable (eg, isn't there a moment where watts' character says something to the effect of "birth and death sometimes coincide"?). that said, lots of menace and atmosphere, and an amazing performance from mortensen.

also, i thought you liked superbad?
good assessment
i was just curious - some people seem to be rallying against cronenberg's new direction. conventional stories or not, the transgressive sex and violence are still there in spades. that bathhouse scene was as visceral as anything else he's done (that i've seen)
and yeah from memory the characters piped in some none-too-subtle thematic reference points for us a couple of times :p

as for superbad, it was pretty good i guess. i was more just a little underwhelmed after its long advertising campaign and hype. the ending sentiments were only brief but still too cloying for my liking.
and to be honest it loses marks for being associated with apatow. he is really starting to fuck me off with his precious-styled comedies.

icecreamdisco

HSC
yeah, i'm wary of apatow too. knocked up is the only of his films i've disliked, but that's also the film that his fingerprints are all over the most. if i have to watch another poorly shot, 2.5 hour improv-fest where the main source of comedy comes from fat stoners yelling 'vagina' and namedropping celebrities, i think i'm gonna scream.

walrusbear

HSC
don't checkout 40 yr old virgin, it's even worse
it's around the 2 hour mark itself with the biggest comic setpiece coming from steve carrell being waxed (oh the LOLZs)
this decade needs more good comedies, i can count the good ones on one hand

icecreamdisco

HSC
i kinda liked 40yov, although i'd probably dislike it if i saw it again since it's shtick has been worn off in the other apatow films.

unpopular opinion! talladega nights is the best american comedy of the past two years. i suppose that says more about the quality of american comedies than anything (meet the spartans nabbed 18 million on its opening weekend, jesus).

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
tbh I didn't think it was that great of a year, although last couple have been pretty meh.

Hot Fuzz
Bourne Ultimatum
Ratatouille
Zodiac
Juno
American Gangster
The King of Kong
Grindhouse
Everything's Gone Green
Futurama: Bender's Big Score (so what that it went straight to dvd, fuck you)

walrusbear

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
i kinda liked 40yov, although i'd probably dislike it if i saw it again since it's shtick has been worn off in the other apatow films.

unpopular opinion! talladega nights is the best american comedy of the past two years. i suppose that says more about the quality of american comedies than anything (meet the spartans nabbed 18 million on its opening weekend, jesus).
i like borat more than talladega, but it is pretty good
zoolander, old school, anchorman - all solid comedies of the times
not sure what else i would add

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
I thought that Beowulf was absolutely shite despite the CGI effects. 30 Days of Night was alright, I haven't seen the Bourne Ultimatum yet but I'm sure it's good. No top ten list from me, cause I haven't even seen 5 movies this year.

ddnt anyone enjoy Hitman enough to be a Top 10 contender?

Last edited:

HalcyonSky

HSC
No Country for Old Men
Bourne Ultimatum
Apocalypto

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)