Totalitarianism (1 Viewer)

lane

Those of you doing germany as a natinol study , how do you argue with the totalitariat debate. Thats probably the hardest essay topic in my opinion?

Ps I can freakin spell right when I want too ..........

oh and I know about the para military groups and all that but I was talking about the contradictory elements of the definition that even stalinist Russia seemed to epitomise and it was thought to be the most Totalitariat of all!

Last edited:

Chelsea

I hope you mean TOTALITARIANISM or you are going to be pretty screwed up for the HSC! I actually like this question. All you have to talk about is all of the mind control (propaganda, Hitler Youth, control of religion and culture) and the use of terror. What else do you want to know?

HSC
Originally posted by Chelsea
I hope you mean TOTALITARIANISM or you are going to be pretty screwed up for the HSC! I actually like this question. All you have to talk about is all of the mind control (propaganda, Hitler Youth, control of religion and culture) and the use of terror. What else do you want to know?
hehehe
Thats exactly what I was gonna say....

You can also talk about control of the media and the fact thats its a one party state.... also methods use to destroy opposition and consolidate power

You should also include historiographical perspectives, and evalute to what extent....

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Dont forget to mention along the way something about the state having control over every aspect of its citizens lives, power of para-military forces, and secret police. Shit like that. TOTAL power=totalatarianism

Arch-man

Ditto all that, but don't forget to mention the historians that have made comment on it. Alan Bullock, APJ Taylor, etc.

HSC
Originally posted by sif not 99
i so hope there will be two questions on weimar then all the stupid n00bs that dont study it will get screwed,

ahahahha!
heheh

I reckon...

The guy has done history for the past year and he can't even SPELL "Totalitarianism":eek: .

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
As funny as that is mercury (and by christ it IS funny) you shouldnt pay the poor bugger out for not being able to spell (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - cough) a word that he has been seeing everyday for the last 2 years (HAHAHAHAHAHA - OMG im gonna burst a lung - cough) i mean its an honest mistake that could happen to anyone. :D

Anyway just thought i better stick up for the young lad :p

Excuse me..........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

P.S - That outburst of laughter was in no way related to the mis-spelling of the word Totalitarianism.

lane

Oh I am so pissed off right now ........I am not going to even try to defend myself!

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Come on mate, no-one will respect you if you dont bite back :D
I wont mind if you bite my head off, and im sure mercury wont either, i mean we started it so its allright :p

So...................give us your best shot :D

lane

OK .....you egotistical bunch of pompous arseholes(well theres only 2)..........I don't give a shit about spelling............SUE ME. I hope

lane

In fact I am questioning weather it is an appropriate term to use considering its dodgy genearlisations. Nazi Germany was a walking contradiction therfore the term comes under scrutiny esp when apllied to the third reich to qoute goering at Nuremburg 'Once we came to power , we were determined to staying in power' , so was the sate using purposeful confusion to keep Nazism in power thus becoming a paradoxical anthesisis of TOTALITARINISM!
Or were they by using terror as major factor in sustaining the one party state unconciously refuting yet welcoming it through it's variable ideology....one must remember that the party manipulated ideology where it suited them this can be seen through everything from architecture to high ranking party officals. So was this 'incomplete totalitarinism' a factor in their downfall!

:chainsaw: Oh I dont think I'll be failing History anytime soon

Last edited:

Arch-man

It's a lot easier to prove that it was tot. than it wasn't, because most of the people who say it wasn't tot. apply different definitions to tot. than what is generally accepted.

Like the people who held a conference to determine whether or not Mussolini,'s Stalin's and Hitler's regimes were tot. or not, they made up their own def. of what tot. was, which in my opinion makes their arguments invalid.

It's like me saying that this is not a school-related forum, because school is actually a place where pens are massed produced and placed on the black market for children from Uzbekistan.

lane

That is a really good point but it can also work the other way around.

Peakin@Bondi

I did assessment on this topic and got 47/50
It is important to acknowledge that there are a number of totalitarian models, and that these theoretical descriptions attempt to emphasize certain characteristics and features of the Nazi dictatorship. The model of totalitariansim best know is Friedrich's 6-point syndrome, in which he argues that in order to have a totalitarian state each of these 6 points must fit this criteria. My argument was, that under Friedrichs theory, 3 of the 6 did not fit, therefore Nazi-Germany was not totalitarian, but when applying Karl Brachers model, it could be said that Nazi Germany was Totalitaian.

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Originally posted by Arch-man
It's a lot easier to prove that it was tot. than it wasn't, because most of the people who say it wasn't tot. apply different definitions to tot. than what is generally accepted.

Like the people who held a conference to determine whether or not Mussolini,'s Stalin's and Hitler's regimes were tot. or not, they made up their own def. of what tot. was, which in my opinion makes their arguments invalid.

It's like me saying that this is not a school-related forum, because school is actually a place where pens are massed produced and placed on the black market for children from Uzbekistan.
:rofl:

Thats some funny shit :p

HSC
Originally posted by lane
OK .....you egotistical bunch of pompous arseholes(well theres only 2)..........I don't give a shit about spelling............SUE ME. I hope
Thats not very nice....
How can you judge my character after one post?

Look, I'm sorry that I offended you, but you have to understand how it looked to most people. Its a word you have been using for the last 2 years or so, so of course the spelling matters. If it was a simple typo then there's nothing wrong with that, but it looked like a completely different word...

Chelsea

?!

Uh, Lane . . . I don't even know what you're talking about with your long speech about Totalitarianism (and I'm really sorry but you still spelt TOTALITARIANISM wrong when you attempted to redeem yourself from your mistake!!!!!!) Anyway, why are you trying to argue whether Germany was a totalitarian state during the third Reich? I mean totalitarianism is one of the key concepts of the syllabus, so of course Germany was a totalitarian state! I mean Hitler had control over every part of society. What more do you want?!:argue:

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Re: Totalitarinism

Originally posted by lane
Those of you doing germany as a natinol study , how do you argue with the totalitariat debate. Thats probably the hardest essay topic in my opinion?

Ps I can freakin spell right when I want too ..........

oh and I know about the para military groups and all that but I was talking about the contradictory elements of the definition that even stalinist Russia seemed to epitomise and it was thought to be the most Totalitariat of all!
*Sigh*

Use a dictionary for christs sake!!

I also find it hard to understand what you are on about, this is a simple definition of Totalitarianism: When a state controls most or every aspect of its citizens lives. Hitlers Third Reich did it as did stalinist Russia. Read up a bit on the conditions the common joe lived in during the 30's and 40's in the USSR and then tell me how you think Stalinist Russia was anything BUT totalitarianist.
Even Albert Speer acknowledged hitlers regime as Totalitarianist, and i quote

"...that in hitlers system, as in every totalitarian regime, when a mans position rises, his isolation increases and he is therefore more sheltered from harsh reality..."

You will have a lot of trouble in the HSC if you argue that the Third Reich was not totalitarian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)