Toughest Law School (1 Viewer)

themonalisa

HSC
So which Aus'n law school marks its students the hardest?

And annually gives out the lowest HDs and Ds there is...would you want to study at such a law school and why?

themonalisa

HSC
ive heard its ANU repeatedly.

Apparently a 70% at ANU law equates to a HD at a metropolitan law school

bored at work

HSC
Melbourne Uni isn't the easiest either, with a 70 average you'll be doing pretty well.

dste6

HSC
All of the Go8 law schools are pretty tough. They like to keep a pretty steep normal distribution curve: most people sit around credit, then there's a steep drop and its as if they have a policy to strictly limit number of HD's. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a concerted effort, as I know that law Deans of Go8 schools do communicate.

Personally, I think its a good thing. It's quality control, and a good way of maintaining the integrity of the school and the Law degree itself. In my previous degree D's were handed out like candy, and HD's were hard to come by either...it was like if you answere the question in a way that demonstrated that you actually listened in class, you got a D..no one really takes the course seriously when that happens.

The system in Law makes more sense to me: if your intelligent like most people in the class and do 'well', you should be given 'credit' for it, so to speak. If your producing superior work to most people and demonstrate impressive control of the subject, you should be given a mark of 'distinction', so to speak. etc. Obviously, not everyone can be special and produce superior work because that would defeat the purpose of the classification.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
dste6 said:
All of the Go8 law schools are pretty tough. They like to keep a pretty steep normal distribution curve: most people sit around credit, then there's a steep drop and its as if they have a policy to strictly limit number of HD's. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a concerted effort, as I know that law Deans of Go8 schools do communicate.
your post reminded me of the existence of the Council of Australian Law Deans (CALD, website herehttp://www.cald.asn.au/).

A quick look at their website reveals a 1997 policy document entitled, "Go8 Law Schools Grade Distribution and Scalinghttp://www.cald.asn.au/docs/grades.pdf" (PDF).

I also note ANU's policy is published (p55, PDF herehttp://law.anu.edu.au/Publications/llb/2009/ANU_College_of_Law_2009_handbook.pdf), which I reproduce below:
1 Grading/Marking System

(a) Grading scale: The uniform grading scale adopted by the University shall apply in each course:
High Distinction 80–100
Distinction 70–79
Credit 60–69
Pass 50–59 ...
Fail 0–49 ...

2 Distribution of Grades

... [T]he final assessment results for students in each course (except Honours Thesis and Law Internship) should normally conform to the following guidelines:

- High Distinction: 2–5% of candidates
- Distinction: 10–20% of candidates
- Credit: 30–50% of candidates

It is acknowledged that special factors may exist, either in a particular course or in a particular year, which would justify a deviation from these guidelines. The special factors may include the following:
(a) Number of students enrolled in a course – for example, a smaller enrolment of students in a course may be reflected in a differing level of academic commitment and performance; or a course with a small enrolment of students may display fluctuations in the competence of the student cohort.
(b) Stage of degree at which course is completed – the greater difficulty that is often encountered by students at the outset of a degree may be reflected in different grading patterns in earlier year as opposed to later year courses in the degree structure.
(c) Methods of assessment – the variations that occur in the methods of assessment used in different courses, and in the same courses from one year to another, may be reflected in different grading patterns, though in principle it is important to restate that a policy on grade distribution should moderate grading variations of that kind.
Ordinarily a deviation from the grading guidelines would not be justified solely on the basis that the course was being assessed in that year by a different group of teachers, that a change occurred that year in the content of the course, or that the course was a new course being taught for the first time.

dste6

HSC
im goign to hate law school

:(
Don't stress it. I know many people say that all that matters is the mark you get at the end, but this is not the best mentality to have WHILE your in the process. It can be very depressing if you think about your experience at law school just in terms of 'getting that mark'. Keep your mind on the subject matter and maintaining your interest in it, and the marks will flow. This is a good way of making sure that your performing to your capacity.

It takes people a long time to come to grips with the fact that they cannot do better than their best. You shouldn't be aiming for '75' or 'HD', because thats like throwing darts in pitch black, particularly because law marks are exam based. You should be aiming to work at your full capacity, keeping in mind that that capacity will increase if you train yourself. You'll be happier and you'll perform better because of it.

porphyrin

HSC
N/A
There's some interesting figures for UNSW at this link here:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/138/faculty-law/30107/past-grade-distributions.html

I agree, it definitely takes some getting used to. I've just done my first year of grad law at UNSW, and Ds and HDs are MUCH harder to come by. When you get a D (no HDs for me - just yet ;) ), it feels like you really have achieved something. In grad law everyone has performed really well in their undergrad degree, just to even get there - so there is definitely some (healthy) competition :)

In my undergrad degree (BSc (Chem)) - HDs were much, much easier to get.

Having said that, I am ABSOLUTELY loving law school so far :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I hear Wollogong is the hardest. I wouldn't want to study there because I don't like challengessssss... too hard ddddddd

avant

HSC
you get used to it. just take your high school average mark out of 100, subtract 30 and that's your law school average :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)