Traditional chinese herbal med @ UTS (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No it wasn't. It was a lame way to reply to a thread without having anything useful to say...just like my reply above, really.

Anyway, the Bachelor of Health Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine is actually quite a good program, though I have only met two people in the course, one of them an Aussie. It focuses on things such as acupuncture, herbal remedies etc and the philosophies behind the treatments. I don't think anyone on the board does it, but you can have a look at the online handbook entry here.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my father has been a TCM and acupuncture practitioner for roughly ten years in australia and i can give you an overview of the profession.

basically demand for alternative therapies has been growing consistently for the last ten years, it will still be a while before it is fully integrated into mainstream society. practitioners of alternative therapies, i assure you, will most definitely NOT be accepted into the governments medicare system. at the moment, most clients use their health insurance benefits or pay from their own pockets. therefore, TCM =/= medicine, nor does TCM practitioners make as much as doctors.

Victoria passed legislation in 2001 (i think?) that restricted the use of the terms "Traditional Chinese Medicine", "Acupuncturist", "Traditional Chinese Herbalism" so that all practitioners who use the terms and practise the therapies must register under the Chinese Medicine Registration Board (CMRB, Vic) - http://www.cmrb.vic.gov.au/ - to ensure a standardised level of quality and professional ethics in the professions. New South Wales, however, is not so enthusiastic on alternative therapies and does not have a compulsory registration scheme. A UTS TCM degree however, will be sufficient for entry into the scheme.

Further, registrations into professional associations such as Australian Natural Therapists Association - http://www.anta.com.au - is necessary for acknowledgement of practitioner status for health insurance companies. Therefore, in order for your clients to have rebates, you must register in one of these professional associations.

That's about all i know :)

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Originally posted by Zhang San Feng
.... dont insult me... thats just not funny
boohoo would u like some milk and cookies before bed u focken sook

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
my father has been a TCM and acupuncture practitioner for roughly ten years in australia and i can give you an overview of the profession.

basically demand for alternative therapies has been growing consistently for the last ten years, it will still be a while before it is fully integrated into mainstream society. practitioners of alternative therapies, i assure you, will most definitely NOT be accepted into the governments medicare system. at the moment, most clients use their health insurance benefits or pay from their own pockets. therefore, TCM =/= medicine, nor does TCM practitioners make as much as doctors.

Victoria passed legislation in 2001 (i think?) that restricted the use of the terms "Traditional Chinese Medicine", "Acupuncturist", "Traditional Chinese Herbalism" so that all practitioners who use the terms and practise the therapies must register under the Chinese Medicine Registration Board (CMRB, Vic) - http://www.cmrb.vic.gov.au/ - to ensure a standardised level of quality and professional ethics in the professions. New South Wales, however, is not so enthusiastic on alternative therapies and does not have a compulsory registration scheme. A UTS TCM degree however, will be sufficient for entry into the scheme.

Further, registrations into professional associations such as Australian Natural Therapists Association - http://www.anta.com.au - is necessary for acknowledgement of practitioner status for health insurance companies. Therefore, in order for your clients to have rebates, you must register in one of these professional associations.

That's about all i know :)
omg Frigid! :eek:

thought it was Minai :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Panda Bear
omg Frigid! :eek:

thought it was Minai :p
yeah sorry... minai's taken over my body and i can't control myself typing random stuff...

but what i said about TCM was true :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Then...why didn't you?
the same reason that stopped me from doing law at unsw.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
my sister and her husband both graduated this course last year...with my sister making the dean's merit list thing... if you're still interested I can tell you what I know??

doe

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by yulia
my sister and her husband both graduated this course last year...with my sister making the dean's merit list thing... if you're still interested I can tell you what I know??
about how many people do? how many males to females. do you need to be able to speak mandarin? did usyd or unsw offer this as well?

*heart*

inasero

Reborn
HSC
zhangsanfeng i was also interested in this course last year.
it would be wise of you to check out the link which lexicographer provided in the previous page, but if not then just post up any specific concerns which you have and ill try my best to help.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Ooooo sorry I forgot I replied to this thread hehehe...no you don't need to know Mandarin, but I'm fairly sure within the course you can pick up units to learn Mandarin..uhh my sister and brother in law are currently in China because he chose those units...but she didn't - she's only there coz she went with him - so it's completely optional.
I dunno about the numbers in the course...I only ever met one person out of the course and it was a female so umm...I can ask her next time I get in contact with her...

D.Larie

Would I be REALLY disadvantaged if I didn't study Mathematics or any Science for my HSC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)