Tragedy and Comedy in RAGAD (1 Viewer)

monkey187

God
HSC
I was just wondering i am pretty down packed with the tones tragedy and comedy in both plays but i cant work out why the transformation of shakespeares tragedy into stoppards comedy has anything to do with the context in which they were writtin

any help would be appreciated

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
hamlet - traditional revenge tragedy/senecan tragedy.
it's predictable. the audience wanted it. the audience wanted what they knew, because they just wanted an affirmation of their context's values (order, monarchy, social hierarchy, religion) even when they went to the theatre.

ros and guild - tragicomedy. Stoppard's making his audience laugh at r&g's loss of direction, their confusion. But the humour is potentially bleak in that it reflects the existential paranoia of the 1960s. It's not a tragedy about the noble anymore, it's a tragedy about ordinary ppl like them. is that okay?

kimmy5

Well, it's all about accomodating the respective context right?
Popular entertainment, well in contemporary times anyway is generally comedic or humorous.

Like, in RGAD, the comic element is seen through puns, burlesque comedy, innuendo, word games, slapstick.

So essentially, Stoppard replaces Hamlet's language features.... (soliloquies, iambic pentametre etc) to construct a play complicit with modern humour. Thus, it's more entertaining for the modern context, for whom the play is intended

pretty confusing but you get me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)