transfer between unis (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by starlyte
ummm well Im doing BA(media and cultural studies) and wanna go to eitherr usyd BA(Media and communications) or uts vis com, but ive realised that usyd is out of the pic coz it had v. high uai last yr and also its even more competitive for transfer students, so....i dunno :(
oh the uai was 98 last yr
hii. when i was choosing what to do at uni this yr i was basically choosing between BA Media & Communications @ Usyd and other BA Communications courses at UTS. i had a UAI high enough to get into both pretty easily.

after going to both the open days though, i was pretty confident in my choice to go to UTS cos the Usyd course seems REALLY shit. i think it would be good for people who don't know which area of the media they're interested in (and i mean people who REALLY dont know, dont even have any vague preferences) but then once they figure it out, i'd still advise transferring to uts. at uts everything is much more specific. but hey, if you're choosing between the BA media & comm & uts vis comm thats quite a bit different. the vis comm option is a design/graphic degree. there's no choice there, totally go to uts for that, or COFA.

what career are you interested in? what do you want to do? cos all the degrees youre doing/thinking of doing have slightly different spins

Originally posted by dead prez
i'm in (almost exactly) the same position as you

media at syd is good cos you get a large option of arts

but really...uts is probably the most interesting place to do media

i wanna transfer to bcomm (media and production) + law or plain media at uts...
OR
arts (media and comm) at usyd

i'm currently doing media law at mac

if you find out the NRSL marks for any of these post em please!
i;'m doing BA Comm/LLB at UTS at the moment and yeah, as far as media goes, like i said up there, it seemed to me to be a much better pathway to a career than the usyd one which is basically a glorified arts degree.

i've heard the media arts & production course is really cool too, the most creative ppl ive met at UTS are doing that.

Originally posted by starlyte
yeh. but the buildings freak me out. dont ask me why, but theres this creepy someone behind you feeling there...anyway, other than that, i would prob try to get to uts...
hahahah i know what you mean. i had that too. its ok once you get there & settle in tho.

starlyte

well im not toooo sure what i wanna do
im kinda tossing up between advertising or journalism. two diff fields, i no , but im interested in both. thats partly why i wanna broader spectrum. what u think would be the better one?

and if i do go to uts and i dun get used to the buildings, ill be angry and itll be your fault!!! heheh!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
if you want to do journalism or advertising, i'd skip the vis comm degree and do BA Communications (Journalism) or BA Communications (Public Communication) at UTS. i really think you could choose either, cos the way the electives work, if you went for more of an advertising slant (public comm.) you could take up journalism electives, and vice versa if you chose journalism. at UTS you can also do electives from different faculties, so you could still take on design subjects while doing a communications degree.

the whole first year is pretty much the same for everyone as well at UTS, cept for one professional strand subject.

& i swear the buildings are nice inside! theres cafes and bars and even a small grass area behind the tower building :)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
does anyones noe, how out the tranferring uni to another uni workout through the UAC????? i need desparate help here...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by theone123
does anyones noe, how out the tranferring uni to another uni workout through the UAC????? i need desparate help here...
yes,
you have to wait till August or whenever the applications open
either you buy a UAC book, or you apply online, as a Non Year 12 student, making sure you state your previous tertiary studies.
From there, UAC ascertains all the necessary data from your previous studies, so its an automated process..you can then log in and change preferences etc etc as Year 12's do

santaslayer

HSC
so we dont have to sign any forms at our current uni?.like a transferring application or the like?

miss_rachel

Is the transferring process any different for QLD?

Like I wanna go to UQ, but BA/LLB there is soooo hard to get. What's life at the SYdney uni's like anyway? I've only been to the city like twice. I'm a country girl. Which is the best, not just academically but in regarding to facilities, campus life, teaching quality?
I heard that USyd is the most prestigious, but that it sux. I gotta go have a look at all the campuses some time this year. WHich ones are really worth looking at.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by miss_rachel
Is the transferring process any different for QLD?

Like I wanna go to UQ, but BA/LLB there is soooo hard to get.
USYD and UNSW is even harder then UQ, remembering that an OP of 2 is equiv to 97.5

KD

HSC
N/A
UAC looks after whether you get in and will base it on both your UAI and your uni results. It is important to note that the university that you are going to go to will decide if you get any credit for subjects that you have done. i.e. whether you have to start in first year or second ... You should contact the School you wish to go to and ask them what credits you might get.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
OK, so maybe this is a dumb question, but is there anyway a Sydney uni would accept a transfer student from the Univeristy of New England (little regional uni)?

My UAI was 80 and so far I have a distinction average in all my subjects. I'd want to do a Communications course, which I started at UNE.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by glitter burns
OK, so maybe this is a dumb question, but is there anyway a Sydney uni would accept a transfer student from the Univeristy of New England (little regional uni)?

My UAI was 80 and so far I have a distinction average in all my subjects. I'd want to do a Communications course, which I started at UNE.
I'd say you'd be wasting your time at usyd - UTS is the way to go for a reputable communications degree among industry.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
I'd say you'd be wasting your time at usyd - UTS is the way to go for a reputable communications degree among industry.
I've heard that from other people too, but the UAI for Communications there is crazy high, and I'm not sure I'd be able to get in, even as a transfer student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)