Transfer question (again....) and a sorta 'pre-warning' to prospective UTS students (1 Viewer)

epsilon

HSC
Hi people. Can someone give me a rough guide of successful transfer applicants from other unis into B. Com at either UNSW or USYD? I am planning to do so as soon as possible, which is next year I think. I am currently a B. Business student at UTS. I also obtained a UAI of 91.80.

Keeping in mind that I want the best prospects possible for my future accounting career, in the event that I don't get into B. Com from either of those unis, which option is better?

1. Apply for B. Eco from both those unis
2. Stay with my present course

The reason I have decided to try and transfer is the prestige factor, or rather the lack of it in my uni. Just feel a bit shortchanged, that after getting a UAI of above 90 (which made me eligible for courses like Eco, Architecture (UNSW), Engineering, and the likes, I ended up at UTS while my other schoolmates with UAIs of like 82 are now doing courses like Engineering and B. Sc at the aforementioned unis :(

Yes, yes, you can blame me for not doing my research thoroughly when I was still in Year 12. But at that time, I was thinking more about an Accounting future career prospect, and after seeing that my UAI didn't make the cut-offs for UNSW or USYD, UTS was the next best choice. I wasn't too sure about getting a B. Eco degree then, thought it would be considered AFTER B. Com and B. Business degree holders when applying for good accounting jobs. And as for MaqU, UTS had a higher UAI cut-off :)

So you can see my dilemma. The thing is, the teaching staff here is excellent, and the students are also all great. But I find the social side of UTS very dissapointing. At that time, the uni's lack of a 'regular uni look' didn't really seem that important to me, it was all just about the course. But now, I'm not so sure anymore. I mean, part of going to uni is to experience the vibrant uni campus life, right? I'm not feeling it at the moment in UTS. Maybe its because of its lack of a proper campus, but the student life here is limited at best. So I guess I'm kinda regretting this right now.

So, yeah, that's my life (or more like uni) story, I guess. Hence my desire to try and get into UNSW/USYD next year, regardless of whether I'll be stuck with a B. Eco or B. Com degree.

And prospective UTS students, may this be a kind of 'pre-warning' for you. That especially goes for prospective UTS B. Business or Business/Law students :)

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
What's wrong with UTS?

Anyway, they will require a combination of your UAI and present uni marks. (GPA).

The exact answers are in the "Transfers" thread which you posted in.

HSC
epsilon said:
But I find the social side of UTS very dissapointing. At that time, the uni's lack of a 'regular uni look' didn't really seem that important to me, it was all just about the course. But now, I'm not so sure anymore. I mean, part of going to uni is to experience the vibrant uni campus life, right? I'm not feeling it at the moment in UTS. Maybe its because of its lack of a proper campus, but the student life here is limited at best. So I guess I'm kinda regretting this right now.
I know what you mean about the buildings. When you're in a two hour tute on level 25, you feel like you're in a prison.

But here's my theory on why this is a good thing. I'm comparing my experiences in UTS communication to UNSW commerce, because I don't think i can speak for any other courses in other universities.

In UNSW (1st year accounting), the lecturer has poor methods of lecturing ("its a nice sunny day i'd rather be in the pub, i'm not starting until some of you leave" - and this was before the lecture even began) and the lecture theatres are filled beyond belief. Five minutes late? Forget about sitting down. Actually, if you're ONLY 5 minutes early you can forget about sitting down.

Another problem is the campus. It takes ten minutes to walk from one building to another, half an hour to get from upper campus to lower campus... All the stairs. We take our elevators for granted.

UTS has built-in climate control. If it's cold you feel warm. If it's hot you feel warm. If it's pouring rain you feel warm. You'll never get sunburnt hanging around campus (not that you'd really want to hang around campus).

And if you don't like the food in the union eateries or food co-op, there's Market City 5 minutes away.

Also, UTS (comparatively) has virtually no international students. It's very much a personal thing, but lots of people are irritated by the concept that the degrees are so easy that people who barely speak English can acquire them.

UTS doesn't really have THAT much happening, but on Wednesdays you've got something happening in the Glasshouse (comedy is good), film screenings, lots of random stuff if you look out for it.

And to bring it back to this, campus life in any NSW university will be significantly weakened under VSU.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I wont comment on the social aspects between UNSW/USyd v UTS.

However, regarding career prospects and the like - I know this doesn't mean much, but the Big4 accounting firms hire more graduates from UTS than from USyd (these figures were published). In terms of getting a grad job at a big accounting firm, graduating from UTS Business is no different to graduating from UNSW or USyd Commerce/Economics, I know this from experience (going through the whole selection/interview process). All that really matters is you and your skills as a person, your extra-curricular and part-time work experience, and to a lesser extent your uni marks.

Regarding the Economics degree, I know that at UNSW, if you double major in Accounting and Economics (remembering you HAVE to major in economics in this degree), you'll have enough free electives to take up the CA pre-requisites finance and business law subjects, so thats not a disadvantage.

pete_mate

HSC
minai, damn helpful as always;

im unsure of what this double major means, does it mean that you do as much work as 1 whole major and a double major is effectively, 2 half majors?

or dyou just do double the work? cos id like the accounting major only available in the commerce degree, but if its not as good a mjor then no,

dyou effectively do the same stuff as the commerce guys under a double major accounting thing with economics?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
pete_mate said:
minai, damn helpful as always;

im unsure of what this double major means, does it mean that you do as much work as 1 whole major and a double major is effectively, 2 half majors?

or dyou just do double the work? cos id like the accounting major only available in the commerce degree, but if its not as good a mjor then no,

dyou effectively do the same stuff as the commerce guys under a double major accounting thing with economics?
A commerce degree is made up of a set number of "credit points" (at UNSW and USyd its 144, meaning you normally take 48 CP a year). At UNSW, every commerce subject is 6CP each, and an accounting major (taken with another major) requires 42CP of accounting subjects. The double major means you take 2 majors within your degree, 42CP each (however its 48CP for an eco major in B.Economics). If you choose a single major, its 48CP. Therefore it's not 2 half majors - if you do 1 major it just means you have a lot more electives than if you did a double major. And no its not double the work, because you'll do the same amount of work in other elective subjects as you would your 2nd major subjects.

And yes, there is no difference in subjects if you major in accounting under either degree.

S

Shuter

epsilon said:
The reason I have decided to try and transfer is the prestige factor, or rather the lack of it in my uni. Just feel a bit shortchanged, that after getting a UAI of above 90 (which made me eligible for courses like Eco, Architecture (UNSW), Engineering, and the likes, I ended up at UTS while my other schoolmates with UAIs of like 82 are now doing courses like Engineering and B. Sc at the aforementioned unis :(

Yes, yes, you can blame me for not doing my research thoroughly when I was still in Year 12. But at that time, I was thinking more about an Accounting future career prospect, and after seeing that my UAI didn't make the cut-offs for UNSW or USYD, UTS was the next best choice. I wasn't too sure about getting a B. Eco degree then, thought it would be considered AFTER B. Com and B. Business degree holders when applying for good accounting jobs. And as for MaqU, UTS had a higher UAI cut-off :)

So you can see my dilemma.
Yes, I can see your dilemma is that you're an idiot. Things such as picking courses based purely on the UAI cut-off highlights this fact.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
whiterabbit said:
Also, UTS (comparatively) has virtually no international students.
you haven't been to a business lecture in university hall, have u? :p

Cooleroo

Banned
HSC
if u r going to drop ur course just because it has no "prestige" or there arent enough parties around, you're an idiot and probably dont deserve to go to uni. or live.

if ur happy with the teaching at ur uni, stay there. its not like all usyd/unsw students get picked first, and then they start choosing uts people. dont be so stupid. they choose u based on ur academic merit and the qualities you hold as a person.

as for the social side, once again, i think if ur going to drop a perfectly good course with good teaching and people as you said, so u can go to more parties and have more friends whatever, then you truly are an idiot.

by the way, i go to unsw.

HSC
Frigid said:
you haven't been to a business lecture in university hall, have u? :p
No, no I havent. But going by the universities of the highest numbers of international students (they were in the paper about a week ago), UTS wasn't even in the top 10.

And I'm sorry if someone found my comment racist, but I have a lot of friends in UNSW Commerce who are pissed off because they are virtually the only people who can speak english in their tutorials. While it might seem politically incorrect, hopefully you can see why they don't like it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
whiterabbit said:
And I'm sorry if someone found my comment racist, but I have a lot of friends in UNSW Commerce who are pissed off because they are virtually the only people who can speak english in their tutorials. While it might seem politically incorrect, hopefully you can see why they don't like it.
well at the same time you've to realise that 60% of our university revenues come from international students... as the recent news articles have shown, without internationals our uni system basically crumbles, no thanks to the copious amounts of funding from the federal government.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)