transferring+handbooks (1 Viewer)

transferring

HSC
N/A
I graduated in 2009 so I would be using a 2010 handbook. what happens if I manage to transfer this year? will I have to follow the 2012 handbook or will I be allowed to continue using the 2010 one?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I graduated in 2009 so I would be using a 2010 handbook. what happens if I manage to transfer this year? will I have to follow the 2012 handbook or will I be allowed to continue using the 2010 one?
You never use the same handbook as the one you started university with.

You always have to use the most recent handbook released by your faculty.

transferring

HSC
N/A
no, that's not true lol. at least I don't think so. you just need to complete all the requirements listed out in the 2010 program to graduate.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
no, that's not true lol. at least I don't think so. you just need to complete all the requirements listed out in the 2010 program to graduate.
That's false.

The handbook outlines the details of a particular faculty and a particular degree in Year X. These things are subject to change yearly, so they must be updated on a routine basis.

transferring

HSC
N/A
Well if you were correct, what would happen if there were drastic changes to your program? For example, I read about UNSW Commerce/Arts going from two commerce majors to one. Does that mean the time and effort you have spent on your second Commerce major wouldn't count any more? :S

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well if you were correct, what would happen if there were drastic changes to your program? For example, I read about UNSW Commerce/Arts going from two commerce majors to one. Does that mean the time and effort you have spent on your second Commerce major wouldn't count any more? :S
You would graduate with what you started in.

theMoment

HSC
That's false.

The handbook outlines the details of a particular faculty and a particular degree in Year X. These things are subject to change yearly, so they must be updated on a routine basis.
No that's false. You follow the program outlined in the handbook in the year you started your program. My understanding of transfers is that if you do transfer, you follow the program outlined in the handbook for the year in which you transfer. This doesn't apply if it's just a change of major, or, if in the example of Combined Law programs, a switch a from Commerce/Law to Arts/Law.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
No that's false. You follow the program outlined in the handbook in the year you started your program. My understanding of transfers is that if you do transfer, you follow the program outlined in the handbook for the year in which you transfer. This doesn't apply if it's just a change of major, or, if in the example of Combined Law programs, a switch a from Commerce/Law to Arts/Law.
The current handbook should always be taken as is but there are clauses within the handbook which state whether any changes apply to current students. If I was to follow the 2010 handbook, I would have to do units which don't exist anymore.

Edit: I think the confusion was regarding our point of discussion. Obviously degree programs (the structure) can not be changed for students midway through their degree but the units of study which apply to that degree program CAN change so the current handbook must be used for that purpose.

Last edited:

theMoment

HSC
The current handbook should always be taken as is but there are clauses within the handbook which state whether any changes apply to current students. If I was to follow the 2010 handbook, I would have to do units which don't exist anymore.
Perhaps this is at Sydney, but at UNSW, my abovementioned explanation is the way to go :). In the case of units that don't exist anymore, usually a subject replaces the subject instead of it being completely removed. In that case, the new subject is undertaken. But as I said, it may be different at Sydney.

By following a new handbook program, a multitude of problems can arise. For instance, say I were to have completed eight core subjects and four other Level 1 subjects in my first year as per the 2010 handbook. Then say in 2011, core subjects were changed to six only and that program requirements stipulated that I do a maximum of only eight Level 1 subjects. This would mean, if I were to follow the new handbook, that I have done two more core subjects and that I would have to repeat a semester because I have done more Level 1 courses that allowed. Clearly, not a reasonable expectataion.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps this is at Sydney, but at UNSW, my abovementioned explanation is the way to go :). In the case of units that don't exist anymore, usually a subject replaces the subject instead of it being completely removed. In that case, the new subject is undertaken. But as I said, it may be different at Sydney.

By following a new handbook program, a multitude of problems can arise. For instance, say I were to have completed eight core subjects and four other Level 1 subjects in my first year as per the 2010 handbook. Then say in 2011, core subjects were changed to six only and that program requirements stipulated that I do a maximum of only eight Level 1 subjects. This would mean, if I were to follow the new handbook, that I have done two more core subjects and that I would have to repeat a semester because I have done more Level 1 courses that allowed. Clearly, not a reasonable expectataion.
That's what I'm saying the misinterpretation was from. You're specifying degree structure changing which of course, you follow the old handbook. In regards to units of study, you use the current handbook.

HSC
This.

This degree is no longer accepting new enrolments. The following information is for students who commenced study in this degree prior to 2011. All new students who have commenced study from 2011 must enrol in FC066 Master of Commerce.
Source: http://sydney.edu.au/business/course/FC014

This suggests that you follow the program outlined in the handbook in which you commenced your program.

theMoment

HSC
That's what I'm saying the misinterpretation was from. You're specifying degree structure changing which of course, you follow the old handbook. In regards to units of study, you use the current handbook.
Right, in terms of units of study, then yes, you would use the current handbook. But I think in the context of the OP's post, he/she was referring to the program structure.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Right, in terms of units of study, then yes, you would use the current handbook. But I think in the context of the OP's post, he/she was referring to the program structure.
That wasn't really clear to me in the original post unfortunately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)