Transition to selective (1 Viewer)

peterkim95

HSC
N/A
kimberlin said:
congratulations mate =]
thanks I thought I wouldn't get in, but I did. The maths test was extremely hard even though it was multiple choice. But my brother attends the school I got into so I guess it was a huge advantage.

peterkim95

HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Which selective school?
i don't really want to say since my name is already as my nick. But it's a boys school :D

syd tech

Life Starts Now

stressful?...NEVER!
HSC
Currently I am in year 12 at St George Girls only moving here in year 11. I went to Penshurst Girls before that... I'm not sure how other people find the transition to selective, but I found that I had a lot to get use to. Mostly getting to know the school well and meeting new people.... though that wasn't as hard.... What I found the most challenging is getting use to the way teachers teach and how the classes are held.. it is quite different.. in penshurst a class use to consist of constant noise and chatter (even when we weren't suppose to), though in st george... it's like dead silent (most of the time.. and depending on what subject).. the teachers at st george also seem to think that we can do heaps of the work ourselves in our own time and just go over more difficult parts of the course in class and we have to do heaps more research into things ourselves... its more independent i guess... but.. it's good.... After you settle in it's fine.. It took me awhile.. but after a year it's all good... the first few months were just hard.. but now looking back its been worth it.... so if anyone is planning to try out for selective.. as long as you really want to go there and work hard.. it's worth it.. but then again.... everyone is different... this is just my opinion.. so everyone is different....

Deluge

HSC
Yeah... I guess it's up to the individual.

I tried out for Ruse this year. If I went, would the teachers think that it's all up to the student? Frankly, I'd be more happy if the teachers mothered the students instead of thinking that each person is a genius...

So I'm afraid I'll fall really behind because whilst others will have finished the topic through self-study or tutoring, I'll be left stranded.

Your thoughts?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Deluge said:
Yeah... I guess it's up to the individual.

I tried out for Ruse this year. If I went, would the teachers think that it's all up to the student? Frankly, I'd be more happy if the teachers mothered the students instead of thinking that each person is a genius...

So I'm afraid I'll fall really behind because whilst others will have finished the topic through self-study or tutoring, I'll be left stranded.

Your thoughts?
It is board of studies rules that no school can start the yr 11 preliminary course early,it is always up to the student to put in the hard yakka to do well. Everything at ruse is normal, most of their teachers are better but some are still pretty bad, most of the kids study 4-5+ hours a day in senior years. Maths is a very high standard at ruse and exceptionaly difficult they use fitzpatrick, you should start doing 2U and 3U from the very 1st question.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
LottoX said:
Well I've heard that teachers at ruse go over things quite quickly and basically expect students to have read up on it already or have been tutored it already.

Possibly a biased view.
I have also heard similar stories, so who knows how true they are. A lot of people picture selective schools to be far more extreme and intense than they actually are (or maybe I'm just used to it).

DH123

HSC
Wooz said:
Zomg, I changed schools to Penrith last year but im in yr 11 this year.

If you dont study or catch up work when you come to a selective school your results will most likely drop to the 65-80's level.

Hey DH123 about 10 new applicants get into yr 11 prob more this year. It's not really hard to get in as long as your an all rounder. What were your last school report ranks/marks like?
Hey Wooz thanks for dat advise do u go to Penrith high or any other selective high school? Last year i got good marks i came my ranks were
1st history
1st Geography
1st adv. maths
1st english
1st science
1st commerce
1st Food Tech.
1st Information Software and Technology
3rd PD/H/PE

DH123

HSC
Black Hawker said:
It's not hard - well it depends on you report and academic achievements etc. I was one of 4 people who made it in that year. I believe in Year 11 they let in more people, although I only know of one person in our year thats leaving at the end of this year.
hey black hawker hope they will let more people in how good ur marks have to be?
i came first in 8 of the 9 subjects i did last year. Would that be good enough?
So is Penrith High alright? - I went there to do Debating last year, Penrith won against us.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
yay! I recently recieved a letter stating that i was successful in my application to Gosford High School. I'm So excited and nervous, but haven't entirely made up my mind yet. The thing is, I'll be moving from a school which (i believe) is not in the top 300 or so schools in NSW to one that is in the top 15 or so (in terms of HSC results). I fear that this might have a severe impact on rankings and overall marks.

Black Hawker

HSC
DH123 said:
hey black hawker hope they will let more people in how good ur marks have to be?
i came first in 8 of the 9 subjects i did last year. Would that be good enough?
So is Penrith High alright? - I went there to do Debating last year, Penrith won against us.
My marks were't that good. I was more of an allrounder in my old school, and mainly towards maths though. First in 8 subjects. Of course you will make it. What year are you - Year 10 this year? Of course we will win debating - especially our grade ;) Especially you got some really good extra-curriculms. You got any question about PHS ask me. :D

The worst subjects I do is Science. I get 60% in half yearly, but got 95% in assesment task giving me low 80 for my yearly. I have all A's in the last two years ranging from mid 90's to mid 70's.

Last edited:

Black Hawker

HSC
Mark576 said:
yay! I recently recieved a letter stating that i was successful in my application to Gosford High School. I'm So excited and nervous, but haven't entirely made up my mind yet. The thing is, I'll be moving from a school which (i believe) is not in the top 300 or so schools in NSW to one that is in the top 15 or so (in terms of HSC results). I fear that this might have a severe impact on rankings and overall marks.
Well, I moved from a 400th and something high school to a 23rd in the state based on HSC result selective school. But it really depends on how a person copes. There's nothing to lose - you can always move back, although embarrasing. But I think sticking it out would be a better idea.

DH123

HSC
Black Hawker said:
My marks were't that good. I was more of an allrounder in my old school, and mainly towards maths though. First in 8 subjects. Of course you will make it. What year are you - Year 10 this year? Of course we will win debating - especially our grade ;) Especially you got some really good extra-curriculms. You got any question about PHS ask me. :D

The worst subjects I do is Science. I get 60% in half yearly, but got 95% in assesment task giving me low 80 for my yearly. I have all A's in the last two years ranging from mid 90's to mid 70's.
Yeah im in year 10 this year

DH123

HSC
Mark576 said:
congrats for making into Gosford High School.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Congratulations on getting into Gosford! :)

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Thanks ^

btw, does anyone here currently go to gosford or did go to gosford?
]

DH123

HSC
Black Hawker said:
So have you got the letter to know whether you accepted or not?
Yes i got my letter from Penrith Selective High School...and i was accepted.

HSC
It really depends on what school you want to go to...
according an ex baukams hills teacher..said, 'students over there tend to help each other out'
other schools like north sydney boys high....we have that....i want to kick ur arse in the maths test kind of attitude...

congratz on making it to penrith btw ^^

xlr8-crillz

HSC
LottoX said:
Mate, wait till after the trials. It's like "help-me" spree.

203132: Nice, using your NSB number on BOS. HAHA.
i got a real weird one......040167

im like the only guy with this weird one, everyone else has like 203.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)