Trial HSC Question (1 Viewer)

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
I was never sure of this dot point and i saw a question on this dot point
in past trial papers;;

Q. Describe how information about changing atmospheric ozone concentration is obtained (3marks)

Can anyone help me??

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
The concentration of air pollutants are collected through RPI (regional pollution indexes). RPI is calculated 2 twice a day (day and night time).

Chemistry In Context 2. page 243

jlnWind

HSC
Kukudas said:
I was never sure of this dot point and i saw a question on this dot point
in past trial papers;;

Q. Describe how information about changing atmospheric ozone concentration is obtained (3marks)

Can anyone help me??
Hey um, theres another thread for this same question, but heres how i depic the marking criteria

Describe- identify characteristics and features?

soo...
1 mark- describing methods (technologies) used to obtain the data
these included (at the time 1970s) ground based UV spectrometers as well as air samples.
1 mark- what they noticed: Drop in ozone levels over Antarctica- In 1976 (initial readings of 10% loss) - 1985 (50% loss) indicating it was no coincidence or malfunction in technology, or natural events such as sunspot activity.
1 mark- Identifying some new forms of technology used- UV lasers fired from ground, satellites using infrared radiometers, total ozone mapping spectrometer (TOMS) from Nasa. New techniques improve reliability of collected data and demonstrate that ozone loss is a real phenomenon.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
In short:

TOMS: Total Ozone Mapping Spectrophotometry (in CCHSC),
A satellite generated image which shows ozone conc.

or spectrophotometer on a weather balloon and compare it with the value getting on ground level. The difference of UV intensity is indicative of ozone conc.

edit: re above: nice answer. Though for a describe question, I don't think you need to go into if it's reliable or not.

jlnWind

HSC
xiao1985 said:
In short:

TOMS: Total Ozone Mapping Spectrophotometry (in CCHSC),
A satellite generated image which shows ozone conc.

or spectrophotometer on a weather balloon and compare it with the value getting on ground level. The difference of UV intensity is indicative of ozone conc.

edit: re above: nice answer. Though for a describe question, I don't think you need to go into if it's reliable or not.
oh yeh i dont think id go into it, but maybe mentioning (like that sentence only)? or??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)