Troubles in Chemistry (1 Viewer)

sannous1

HSC
Hey im doing chem duh, lol anyways lik i havnt did revision this hole term for chem, cause ive been caught up with so much stuff, anyways lik my teacher each day just chuks us notes and everyday just rites different stuff on the board, and i always ask him sir where is this in the sylabus he'll be lik dot point 6 or watvr, he lik skips from 1 dot point to lik the 7th and im getting really confused with everything, i wanna start revising but i dont know where to start from, can any1 give me advice please.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Read the Conquering Chemistry 4th edition text book.

I'm not joking, it helps.

Read it chapter by chapter, read every single word (besides the ones that say that it's not in the syllabus). Don't move onto the next sentence until you've understood the first.

After you get familiar with the content, then you revise. You don't revise when you don't know the content. You revise when you consolidate your knowledge. The questions in the textbook are quite good for revision.

sannous1

HSC
thanks so much, u guys, do u reali think i can do it by myself though?

-tal-

HSC
minijumbuk said:
Read the Conquering Chemistry 4th edition text book.

I'm not joking, it helps.

Read it chapter by chapter, read every single word (besides the ones that say that it's not in the syllabus). Don't move onto the next sentence until you've understood the first.

After you get familiar with the content, then you revise. You don't revise when you don't know the content. You revise when you consolidate your knowledge. The questions in the textbook are quite good for revision.
I'd suggest doing that with Chemistry Contexts 2, really don't like Conquering Chemistry. His writing style is easy to understand (and so is the style in Chemistry Contexts), but his science is off at times. Slightly dodgy.

If all else fails, to get a good basic outline, read the Macquarie Revision Guide.

And yes, you can learn all that stuff yourself. I did it. Pulled myself from a 32% in chemistry up to 95%.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Yeah, sometimes there are dodgy bits in Conquering Chemistry, but the majority of it are correct. The dodgy bits won't really lose you any marks though.

I haven't used Chemistry Contexts 2, so I can't make any comment on that one xD But I've been using Conquering Chemistry throughout the year, and I found it quite helpful.

acevipa

HSC
I myself am finding Chemistry a difficult subject as well. However, what I usually do is read the textbook thoroughly, in order to gain an understanding of all the key concepts. When you read, don't just "read", try and gain an understanding of what you're reading. I find that usually helps me. Also, maybe you could try getting a revision book for Chem. I'm using Macquarie at the moment, however, I also heard that Dot Point and Surfing Chemistry are also good books. Make sure you keep a record of all your prac. work. In each prac, at least include an aim, materials, risk assessment, method, results, conclusion. Check the resources section for notes on Chemistry also. And also, try as many questions as possible, which will give you good practice for your exam.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Oh, do some half-yearly past papers. Ignore the ones you haven't learnt yet.

And if you've got James Ruse friends, ask them for past Production of Materials theory tests.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
-tal- said:
I'd suggest doing that with Chemistry Contexts 2, really don't like Conquering Chemistry. His writing style is easy to understand (and so is the style in Chemistry Contexts), but his science is off at times. Slightly dodgy.

If all else fails, to get a good basic outline, read the Macquarie Revision Guide.

And yes, you can learn all that stuff yourself. I did it. Pulled myself from a 32% in chemistry up to 95%.
I don't think learning from the Macquarie Revision Guide is good - use actual textbooks for that, both Conquering Chem and Chem In Context are decent enough. Only after you learn it should you use Macquarie to revise. That's what I'd do anyways.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
consolidate all the notes that your teacher has given you, because [hopefully] they'll refer to most of the questions that will be in your test. sort them into dot points and find out the dot points your missing, and go through a textbook to find those ones.

jacaranda hsc chemistry is awesome for that, it tells you the dot points and which pages they can be found on. the book is massive though, so it's kind of intimidating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)