Tute Groups (1 Viewer)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Hey guys,

I've heard mixed information so I just wanted it clarified.

Do we pick our own tute groups at o-week, or are they chosen for us and we just get given a timetable? Past students, I need facts :p

laracroft

im so totally confused with how the timetables work, and wether we choose wen we want our tutes, and how to make changes to our timetables. friends going to other unis already have access to their timetables and all that stuff.....
L O S T.....:S

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
oh and at usyd do roles get marked at tutes, and are you restricted to one tute class, or can you go to any as long as you go to one...??
In most cases you HAVE t go to your assigned classes, especially if group work or class participation is part of you assessment!. Also where attendance is mandatory then yes roles do get marked!

tutes are chosen for you, but timetable changes can be made in the first 2 weeks!

Last edited:

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Yeah u can always try cram it in if you wish so, i always try to get the minimum days possible, the way it usually works is that you go to the Timetable Changing rooms during O-week or first week back (get in early people before classes fill up). When there you tell them you want a three day period, or monday mornings off etc etc...and they try and work around your requests (but nothing is guaranteed).

To see when the lectures and tutes are on for a particular nit of study for sem 1, 2005, go to: myuni - my study - Timetable Unit - Find Particular timetable for a unit of study - then type in the UOS code. It tells you when lecture and tute times for that unit. From that you can try and work out how many hours you will have and see how many days you could get!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
zannaz said:
Yeah u can always try cram it in if you wish so, i always try to get the minimum days possible, the way it usually works is that you go to the Timetable Changing rooms during O-week or first week back (get in early people before classes fill up). When there you tell them you want a three day period, or monday mornings off etc etc...and they try and work around your requests (but nothing is guaranteed).

To see when the lectures and tutes are on for a particular nit of study for sem 1, 2005, go to: myuni - my study - Timetable Unit - Find Particular timetable for a unit of study - then type in the UOS code. It tells you when lecture and tute times for that unit. From that you can try and work out how many hours you will have and see how many days you could get!
any idea on when we can change subjects?

SmokedSalmon

HSC
about tutorial classes... if you could not be bothered to go and change it on the internet or in o week (which is a pain and you might not get what you want)... just turn up to your desired tutorial and the tut teacher will add your name on to the list. Some tutors might go 'hmm why aren't u on the list?' claim you had changed ur timetable on the internet just recently. Worked like a charm for me and I got fridays off :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
They choose your groups but you can alter your timetable to a certain extent. You can go onto MyAdmin and alter your timetable online, but you can't exactly choose which tute classes you want to go to. You can have better control of exact tutes by going to change your timetable at The Student Center (at the bottom level of the Carslaw complex on Eastern Avenue), although whether or not you get into the tute time you request depends on the current number of students already allocated to that time, amongst other things. Sometimes if you miss your tute, you can on notification to your tutor go to another tute to finalise that week's work. However, for many subjects you MUST attend all tutorial quizzes/exams at the quiz you've been allocated to.

For science, the tutorial attendence rate [from memory] is around 80% or something for alot of subjects (or else they could fail you at their discretion), however I only went to about 50-60% to some and they didn't really do anything.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Tutorial attendance becomes really important only when you are on the borderline between pass and fail at the end of the semester. If you attend most tutes and the lecturer/tutor has a reasonable impression of you, you may get a lucky pass. It would almost certainly be a fail if you rarely turn up to tutes though. If you aren't in the pass/fail situation, you'll probably be fine. Some schools (e.g. maths) do explicitly require 80% attendance at tutes however. No too sure whether they're strict about that. Some tutors simply forget to take the roll and assume that everybody is there. At least turn up to those that are useful/interesting for your own sake. I am not going to comment on the boring ones (some of them are). Use your own discretion :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@ super pig: a fwnd just totally throw away that rule... afwnd did stat last yr, turned up to 2 tutes out of 12 (yes 2 quizes) and she got 89.... ><

edit: btw, chem tute they don't mark role... u can attend any u wish... after i learnt that they cant' really find out if u were there and also that i usually snooze off durin that time, i start skippin it and have lunch with fwnds at bosch...

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Tute attendance won't affect your final result unless it states explicitly that part of the assessment will be based on tute participation. BTW, 1st year Physics tutes are voluntary as well (there are no tutes in higher years).

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
xiao1985 said:
@ super pig: a fwnd just totally throw away that rule... afwnd did stat last yr, turned up to 2 tutes out of 12 (yes 2 quizes) and she got 89.... ><

edit: btw, chem tute they don't mark role... u can attend any u wish... after i learnt that they cant' really find out if u were there and also that i usually snooze off durin that time, i start skippin it and have lunch with fwnds at bosch...

yeah for ecmt , many of my friends didn't attend all the tutes even tho attendance was compulsory....they copied of notes from me n since they were good friends with the tutor, he never complained! n both of them ended up getting 85 ( they just attended the tutes in which we had quizzez) :uhhuh:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:

Teeheeeheeeheeeeheeeee!........iz dere any class u don't snooze off in? :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
LoneShadow said:
Teeheeeheeeheeeeheeeee!........iz dere any class u don't snooze off in? :D
none... dude, if u had seen my tt, u'd understand... esp sem 2... on tues i have 8am start, 8pm finish... wut a wonder ful day =S

Skeeta

HSC
Ok someone explain... a tutorial is more like groupwork - similar to what was done in high school classes... yes?

and a lecture is a teacher standing out the front talking for an hour or so..

Generator

HSC
N/A
Basically, although many lecturers tend to be 'innovative' when it comes to teaching practices within a lecture series.

Tutorials aren't necessarily more like group work, and the nature of a tutorial varies greatly between the various schools/disciplines/subjects... Just picture a small class (at this stage, anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)