tutor a med science student (1 Viewer)

dimple

HSC
anyone want to tutor a first year unsw med science student enrolled in chem, psych, perspectives in med science and molecules, cells and genes?
if you can tutor some of these subjects please let me know. please pm or email me details regarding experience, time available and price. thanks : )

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
You haven't even started uni and you want some tutoring.

/Insert darkwolfzx pik of face palm.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It's actually very unusual to get tutoring when you get to the level of university. And frankly I think the tutors and demonstrators you get for your subjects are always willing to help if you ask.

Tim035

HSC
If you got the UAI to make the cut off for medical science this year (I think it was around 93 - 94) then you have the brains and commitment to get through first year without too much trouble. Like survivor said your tutorial classes should provide ample oppertunity to discuss anything you're having difficulty with.
On the other hand I'd love to charge you $25 an hour and make myself a bit more money on a weekly basis, unfortuantely I'd have to relearn most of 1st year chem and physics.
I have done typed summaries for every subject from 1st and 2nd year med sci, except for perspectives in medical science and pathology, if you PM me your email I can attempt to compress them into a zip file and send them or burn them all onto a CD and meet up on campus. A lot of them have images from lecture notes in them, so I think I'd be up for copyright infringement if I tried to charge you any money for them.

*So WOnderful*

HSC
anyone want to tutor a first year unsw med science student enrolled in chem, psych, perspectives in med science and molecules, cells and genes?
if you can tutor some of these subjects please let me know. please pm or email me details regarding experience, time available and price. thanks : )
Tuition in SCIF? [aka perspectives in med sci] BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!! Once you attend your first tute, you'll understand why I'm laughing hysterically.
[here's a preview: "describe a peanut"]
Also 1/3 of the course gets a HD, it's an excellent WAM booster. ;)

BABS is very easy, apparently there is a 3% failure rate.

Chem - which level? higher or fundamentals? ...there's always FREE help in the Dalton Computer Lab. And the tutors are exceptionally friendly.

Can't comment on psych.

*So WOnderful*

HSC
Really? In my year it was a WAM killer. We had a different course coordinator back then.
My friend talked to Wil Rifkin (the course coordinatory) and he said that a 1/3 of the year got HDs, even though for the most part we were all terribly lost. I'm guessing heaps of people would have gotten Ds too, I don't think I know of anyone who got less than a D.

I believe Tim that all your tutes were taught by Rifkin, but for our year, Rifkin delegated responsibility to 3 new tutors... who were as lost as we were. SCIF is essentially a thoroughly disorganised and frustrating course but it has it merits *shakes fist none-the-less*

And lol it would have been really hard to fail this course, especially since the only proper exam we sat we could get marks of 105%, AND bring in a cheat sheet, AND have a 10 minute discussion with peers with the exam paper in hand before we had to start writing. What gets most people is the tedium of the assignments and the length of time you have to spend doing them...and the lack of organisation and information given about assignments [and having 3 days to do certain assignments because the assignment sheets weren't given out...like the students were more on top of the course]...okay I'll stop now, I could rant on and on... half of this probs doesn't make sense. :p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
We had this guy called Paul as a sole lecturer back in 2004 (and a few tutors). Most people I know got Passes and Credits. Have not met anyone who scored a HD yet in my year.

The wost thing was, one year later, we had him AGAIN for Perspective in Medical Science 2 in 2nd year. OMG.... He made the course Pass/Fail and gave most people a Pass but the Pass automatically counted as 50/100 on our transcript. We all had to complain because it was like a complete WAM killer...

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
My friend talked to Wil Rifkin (the course coordinatory) and he said that a 1/3 of the year got HDs, even though for the most part we were all terribly lost. I'm guessing heaps of people would have gotten Ds too, I don't think I know of anyone who got less than a D.

I believe Tim that all your tutes were taught by Rifkin, but for our year, Rifkin delegated responsibility to 3 new tutors... who were as lost as we were. SCIF is essentially a thoroughly disorganised and frustrating course but it has it merits *shakes fist none-the-less*

And lol it would have been really hard to fail this course, especially since the only proper exam we sat we could get marks of 105%, AND bring in a cheat sheet, AND have a 10 minute discussion with peers with the exam paper in hand before we had to start writing. What gets most people is the tedium of the assignments and the length of time you have to spend doing them...and the lack of organisation and information given about assignments [and having 3 days to do certain assignments because the assignment sheets weren't given out...like the students were more on top of the course]...okay I'll stop now, I could rant on and on... half of this probs doesn't make sense. :p

Want to know something funny, I'm on a 83 WAM, yet I failed that mid semester exam where you get a cheat sheet and 10 minutes discussion, I managed to pull a C by the end of semster.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
lol I did the same courses as the OP.

I might have hated SCIF but Paul Foley's still the bee's kenes! He's so hip he's square. That being said, I think they must've really restructured SCIF1111 since Survivor took it. It's a huge WAM booster now. Rifkin mentioned that the year before us (2007) attained D average while ours ended up being in the low 80s. It's like free marks, but better. I got 94 in the course while picking fights with the tutors, being catty and abusing the assignments. Miraculously also scored the highest mark on the cheat-sheet exam. Best advice I can give is... Pretend you're not a science student for a little while. Or something. And learn to write well.

And uhh wtf tuition? This isn't high school. And this is just me conjecturing but... Medical schools seek applicants who demonstrate a strong capacity for self-directed learning. If "an individual" still needs private tutors to spoon feed "them", "they're" ill suited to med.

Take the high road and learn on your own terms.

Last edited:

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
Want to know something funny, I'm on a 83 WAM, yet I failed that mid semester exam where you get a cheat sheet and 10 minutes discussion, I managed to pull a C by the end of semster.
Hahaha. 83, well done! That's awesome. NB: That midsession was hilarious. During the 10 min discussion, everyone was running around like headless chickens.

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
I actually have another one of these 10 minutes of discussion tests on thursday for 'strategic communication in the buisness world' for which Rifkin was basically the course co-ordinator, fortunately its only mcq; but trying to get motivated to study for an mcq test after 3 months of bliss is proving very difficult.

xD LOL xD

pulsatile
HSC
Survivor89 said:
The wost thing was, one year later, we had him AGAIN for Perspective in Medical Science 2 in 2nd year. OMG.... He made the course Pass/Fail and gave most people a Pass but the Pass automatically counted as 50/100 on our transcript. We all had to complain because it was like a complete WAM killer...
:speechless::eek:
There was a SCIF/PISM 2??

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
They were called BSSM1110 Perspective in Medical Science 1 and BSSM2220 Perspective in Medical Science 2 when I did them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)