Tutoring Year 10 Mathematics (1 Viewer)

Stabilo123

HSC
I currently tutor a Year 10 student who finds that the textbook he uses at school is too easy. Could anyone recommend a textbook that has harder questions that are useful for students who are at the top of their grade and need more challenging questions?

Peeik

HSC
What is the textbook your student is using?

why not use a year 11 textbook? Just make sure you are using relevant sections.

kazemagic

HSC
Mathscape year 10 extension is pretty good- not many challenging questions though. There are a few year 10 topics in Camb 3u Yr 11, and their questions are quite challenging.

Last edited:

Peeik

HSC
Yeah use the year 11 cambridge. That should be enough for ur student.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Mathscape year 10 extension is pretty good- not many challenging questions though. There are a few year 10 topics in Camb 3u Yr 11, and their questions are quite challenging.
As he has mentioned, mathscape 10 is a good book and I agree to that.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
As Peeik mentioned, the Year 11 and Year 12 Extension 1 Cambridge books have an excellent variety of questions and levels of difficulty.

I know the textbooks are titled "Year 11", "Year 12" and to make it worse, "Extension 1"! We must remember that these books also cover the Mathematics (2U Maths) course as well.

A very large number of topics in Year 10 actually appear in Year 11 and Year 12 as well.

For example:

- Trigonometry (all of it, including Sine Rule, Cosine Rule, Bearings, Trig Equations, Applications etc etc)

- Algebra (surds, indices and general algebra skills)

- Geometry (including circle geometry if the school decides to examine it).

- Compound/Simple interest and loans.

All of these topics are covered in great detail in the Cambridge series, so you may find them to be a great resource.

However, the Cambridge series does not cover 100% of the "Consumer Arithmetic" topic in Year 10. Things like 'Medicare Levy' and 'Tax Tables' are excluded, so you will of course need a proper Year 10 textbook to cover these. The best way to go is probably Mathscape 10, as Kazemagic said.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
+ 1

I find the Signpost Maths Yr 10 Advanced (I have the old 2nd Edn) excellent. I often try to make my Yr 11 (around March) do all the indices/logs questions in Exercises 14:04 to 14:08. The standard is good enough for 2U Advanced. Also the chapters on The Parabola ...,Curve Sketching & Polynomials, Further Geometry(decent part of Ext 1 Circle Geometry) all quite challenging for the average Yr 10 student.

Have you, Mr Stabilo, covered those with your students before moving to Yr 11 Cambridge as suggested?

Last edited:

Stabilo123

HSC
+ 1

I find the Signpost Maths Yr 10 Advanced (I have the old 2nd Edn) excellent. I often try to make my Yr 11 (around March) do all the indices/logs questions in Exercises 14:04 to 14:08. The standard is good enough for 2U Advanced. Also the chapters on The Parabola ...,Curve Sketching & Polynomials, Further Geometry(decent part of Ext 1 Circle Geometry) all quite challenging for the average Yr 10 student.

Have you, Mr Stabilo, covered those with your students before moving to Yr 11 Cambridge as suggested?
Cheers for the input everyone,

To answer your question Drongoski, my student hasnt learnt all those topics yet, I still have to teach him the basics, but his textbook (I should have noted what it was called because I cant remember) doesnt really challenge him because their questions dont really test anything more than the basics so I was hoping to find a textbook that has harder year 10 questions. I shall try to obtain 'Signpost Maths Yr 10 Advanced' or 'Mathscape Year 10 Extension'. I might even buy both of them as I have a brother in Year 10 who may benefit from them as well.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I have 2 or 3 old Signpost Maths (Yr 10 - Advanced) which I leave with my students during the year (saves having to lug around) - have been picking them up at Lifeline Giant Book Fair for $2 to $3 mostly over last few years. I find Signpost Maths quite solid compared to some of the more colourful and user-friendly (.: wimpier ones) texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)