• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

twilight series (3 Viewers)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Sammiesunshine said:
You guys should check out the fan fics.... a particularly good writer goes by ren or angelren depending on the site... she is pretty damn good!! i like her story called cupcakes it sounds lame but its prettyy funny.... i have just spent half my say "studying: for my creative writing section of english half yearly... i read fan fics all afternoon because i was sick! Therefore i know a fair few good fan fic writers now :D
That is just abominable. As if the actual series wasn't bad enough.

HSC
Originally Posted by Tulipa
That is just abominable. As if the actual series wasn't bad enough.
LOL

Well I guess the book appeals to young teenage girls.
Haha wait til the movie comes out that would be worse than fanfics and the series combined.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
thatsmystapler said:
LOL

Well I guess the book appeals to young teenage girls.
Haha wait til the movie comes out that would be worse than fanfics and the series combined.
Actually I'd rate it like this:

books>movie>fanfics.

Fanfiction is just ... abominable. I can't find another word that fits better.

Sammiesunshine

HSC
wow and you guys are overly critical some authors actually started off writing fan fic and material related to books they have read....
It's not always about ripping off books/movies/shows etc as you seem to think!

Alot of people write fanfic with intentions of improving their writing style before attempting for example to write their own novel. It's just like writing story drafts only you can get a whole lot more variety and people can give you feedback
So maybe if you guys actually read some decent examples of said fan fic you would not be so overly critical.
I understand that it may not appeal to some but your opinion isn't shared by everyone either. :)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Actually I've read a lot of fan fic.

I figure if I'm going to dislike something I should be able to back myself up, no?

Basically it might be a "test" but it's also being incredibly lazy. Half of writing is really coming up with the characters and the plot. Fan fic steals the characters and either continues the plot or plays off it. You're doing half the work and normally, a lot of fanfic plays out "ships" - relationships that were either part of the story or that they came up with themselves. So really it's more a way to play out one's fantasy than really write something interesting.

It also might be an interesting "test" but again, you're stealing someone else's idea and I doubt many authors enjoy that. I for one think it's pretty frustrating - being a writer and all. Also, if it's just for practice, why bother posting it around the internet? Oh right, that's because fanfic writers like to get reviews and comments about their work... even though really, it's not entirely theirs.

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
omg tulipa seriously why bother posting "And I thought it couldn't get worse..." that in the first place?? do you search around just so you can say negative things on forums...why come on this forum if you think the series is shit. no one cares you dont like it and no one cares that you dont like fan fic. just like no one cares that someone likes it. it means nothing to me either way.

so on the edward jacob topic...i have ALWAYS leant towards bella going to edward even though its just wrong...

btw the recommendation from someone to read city of bones.. i agree i am half way through and the characters are developing nicely..its not a series where its bam they love eachother or bam she has an unknown mission.. its developing throught the book which tells me its going to be a great series when its completed.

i know i hate saying bad stuff about the twilight series but this is osmething that i thnk it lacked...the character didnt develop slowly in your mind. it was fast and in your face. still an awesome series with character development but just not as much.
but i will never go back on saying its an awesome series :)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
lisajf said:
omg tulipa seriously why bother posting "And I thought it couldn't get worse..." that in the first place?? do you search around just so you can say negative things on forums...why come on this forum if you think the series is shit. no one cares you dont like it and no one cares that you dont like fan fic. just like no one cares that someone likes it. it means nothing to me either way.
It's a free internetz. I can say what I want.

You like a shit series of books. Fan fiction is a lazy, terrible thing to do.

I'm just expressing my opinion in hopes that you realise how moronic you are.

:)

Plus, being a literary elitist is really fun.

Sammiesunshine

HSC
theshortykatt said:
is there a sight with some good fan fic i can look at then?
-to prove that is isnt crap?
Sure.
well in general fanfic.net is a good place to start and ys i am quite aware that is incredibly general so i will put a few links to stories that aren't half bad, these are twilight related fics and i am aware that some are horrible i have read my fair share of those but not all of them are and if you can look past the fact that they are in fact fanfics some of the wirters actually have a fair bit of talent if not the fics are at least providing some amusement, as some are just fluff.

- http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4153081/1/unexpected_surprises

- http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3897673/7/Miracles_Happen

and i apologise for my lack of examples as these are ones i have just read recently as i do try to limit myself to only a few fanfics when i do read them, and i really don't have the time or effort right now to go look any up because i'm studying for my half yearlies atm :S

But if you don't actually like the series i don't see the point in actually reading these because you will assuredly find something to hate it seems.
However some people enjoy reading this and not everyone does share your views.
I mean i accept your views and i do see the validity in what you guys are saying because yeah a fair bit of fan fic is utter crap and i aknowledge that
so why can't you just take a second to try and accept the opinions of others. agree to diagree if you will.
:)

Sammiesunshine

HSC
wow and you're extremmely rude ha! well in that case do not force your opinions upon others and get over it miss "literary elitest" thankyou for your time :)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Sammiesunshine said:
no really more along the lines of overly opinionated and pompous to be brutally HONEST :)
Hahaha.

You think Twilight is a good series? It's a trite and overdone idea with some okay writing but mostly focused on cashing in amongst teenagers who don't read much and are easy to pander to. Read Anne Rice if you want somewhat interesting vampire fiction.

Also, fan fiction is a terrible thing for any writer. I doubt you write much but, again, I'd be furious if anyone stole my idea for themselves just to fulfill a whim.

Sammiesunshine

HSC
Tulipa said:
Hahaha.

You think Twilight is a good series? It's a trite and overdone idea with some okay writing but mostly focused on cashing in amongst teenagers who don't read much and are easy to pander to. Read Anne Rice if you want somewhat interesting vampire fiction.

Also, fan fiction is a terrible thing for any writer. I doubt you write much but, again, I'd be furious if anyone stole my idea for themselves just to fulfill a whim.
see thing is there i read alot and widely and yeah anne rice is good i like reading her books and i have an wntire bookcase of vamp fiction but it seems like you dislike twilight not so much for the story as for the fact that it became popular. BUT guess what not everyone read it because it was a craze or because it got on a bestseller list. I imported mine from the states before it came out here and i liked it because it had original ideas unlike ALOT of vamp fiction which is mostly unoriginal and unimpressive there are much worse stories out there than this.
So what if teen girls like it, i have friends that have begun reading extensively because they enjoyed reading the series and as far as that is concerned if something encourages a person to read it IS GOOD!

and as for fan fiction it is not like these people do it to "steal" ideas they aren't publishing them for pete's sake!
Like fair enough if you feel it's cheating the author but i'm pretty sure not everyone feels that way.
But put it this way if you wrote a good book wouldn't you be at least mildy happy about the fact that people like your writing so much they don't want it to end and therefore write their own little stories based upon that story.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Sammiesunshine said:
see thing is there i read alot and widely and yeah anne rice is good i like reading her books and i have an wntire bookcase of vamp fiction but it seems like you dislike twilight not so much for the story as for the fact that it became popular. BUT guess what not everyone read it because it was a craze or because it got on a bestseller list. I imported mine from the states before it came out here and i liked it because it had original ideas unlike ALOT of vamp fiction which is mostly unoriginal and unimpressive there are much worse stories out there than this.
So what if teen girls like it, i have friends that have begun reading extensively because they enjoyed reading the series and as far as that is concerned if something encourages a person to read it IS GOOD!

and as for fan fiction it is not like these people do it to "steal" ideas they aren't publishing them for pete's sake!
Like fair enough if you feel it's cheating the author but i'm pretty sure not everyone feels that way.
But put it this way if you wrote a good book wouldn't you be at least mildy happy about the fact that people like your writing so much they don't want it to end and therefore write their own little stories based upon that story.
Let's set one thing straight: I don't dislike it because it's popular. In fact, I personally think that Harry Potter (the most popular phenomenon in literature lately) was the best thing to happen to children's literature in the past decade or so. I dislike it because the idea is trite and it's not very well written. Character development is also poor and really the only reason it got published was because it had the potential to make money. This is the exact same reason I dislike Dan Brown and other writers of that ilk.

Secondly, writing a novel, for one, is an intensely personal experience. It starts off as your baby and as you continue writing it (normally over the course of a number of years I might add), eventually you will separate from it enough to give it a critical eye but it's still your own work that you created and slaved over. For someone to come along, take your characters and storyline to fulfill a whim - be it about a relationship or merely a canonical thing - it's pretty much a slap in the face bordering on plagiarism. Plus they are publishing it but on the internet where they can get praise for doing half the job of a real writer.

EDIT: What I'm saying is to stop obsessing over bad literature and start looking for better stuff. Even if this is your guilty pleasure acknowledge it as such and don't hold it up as an example of quality storytelling.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)