UAC Main Round Offers NOW Out (Discussion Thread)! (1 Viewer)

HSC
timbk2 said:
not exactly. Uni's want more international students cause they dont get hecs and they pay 3 times as much.
Imagine how pissed off the Australian public would be if all these rich blow ins got all the spots where Aussie students didnt. Your being given a chance at an Aussie uni where you wouldn'y have otherwise, yet people complain about it?

Australia Love it or Leave it.

dogbacon

Osaka-ben
HSC
Dragon Fanatic said:
Imagine how pissed off the Australian public would be if all these rich blow ins got all the spots where Aussie students didnt. Your being given a chance at an Aussie uni where you wouldn'y have otherwise, yet people complain about it?

Australia Love it or Leave it.
Wait a second...

Not all international students are "rich blow ins" as you say.
I've been in Australia for more than 9 years now, thats half my life and I still don't even have Permanent Residency.
And you're saying I shouldn't get a equal chance as locals just cos I'm not an aussie?

Uni-fees for international students are obviously much higher than local students, because the government profits money from us international students...

Its already a disadvantage living here when we pay so much more money than permanent residents. You can't even possibly think that we should get at least an equal chance to get into uni when we're gonna pay much more than you?

HSC
Then why not apply for Australian Citizenship? If you have lived here for 9 years. Or if you don't like the system go back to your place of birth. And I am saying that you shouldn't be given an equal chance because your not Australian, become an Australian Citizen and all this will go away. As i said before;
Australia Love it or Leave it

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm with Dragon, get Residency. I know it's hard to get Citizenship, but get residency and stop complaining. If you've migrated here and have been in our system for more than the senior high school years then yes, you should be able to get into Uni with the same UAI as citizens as long as you are eligable for permentant residency.

However, I don't think international students should be cut some slack just because they have to pay more money. If you wish you go school here, either get residency or accept that those with Residency/Citizenship will be put ahead of those who aren't. Thats the way it works in every nation in the world.

mishka

HSC
N/A
my part in this discussion is to say: I'M GONNA BE A TEACHER!!! :D

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
The pain of deferring...the fact I have to wait another year to go to university, just because my parents don't earn enough, and my closest course (well the one I accepted) is 330km away makes my day v. bitter indeed.

Is University becoming more inaccessible for country students? I'm starting to think it is. $13000 for living and thats just accommodation...$5000 for the degree and thats on HECs...and bout $4000 extra costs...and that's just the bare necessities.

$22 000 a year. Too f*cking hard for some of us.

Oh well, a year of waitressing and being treated like a dumb sh*t by customers for me.

dogbacon

Osaka-ben
HSC
White Rabbit said:
I'm with Dragon, get Residency. I know it's hard to get Citizenship, but get residency and stop complaining. If you've migrated here and have been in our system for more than the senior high school years then yes, you should be able to get into Uni with the same UAI as citizens as long as you are eligable for permentant residency.

However, I don't think international students should be cut some slack just because they have to pay more money. If you wish you go school here, either get residency or accept that those with Residency/Citizenship will be put ahead of those who aren't. Thats the way it works in every nation in the world.
Do you think I haven't tried? :'(
It's hard to get citizenship, but first it's even harder to get residency.
Unfortunately the government ain't gonna grant permanent residency no matter how long I'm here...

Infact, I'm not actually complaining.
All I wanted to know in the first place was what the cut-offs were for international students because it concerns me.
I agree that obviously it doesn't feel good at all when some migrant from overseas comes to Australia just in time for year11 to take subjects like Maths Extention1/2, Physics, Chemistry... and do great because they have already learnt it from whereever they come from and score a great UAI and get good jobs.

Its just so sad because I came here when I was in year3, since then I've been here all my life. And the rules have become so strict to gain permanent residency now that even though I've stayed for so long paying all this money every year I'm not gonna get it.
Just because I'm asian people tend to think that I'm so smart or something and I study so hard everyday when I get home... the stereotypical image. But I grew up just like the rest of you and speaking only Japanese at home and English outside sometimes I feel like I can never fully understand Japanese nor English properly.

Anyway I'm going off topic... basically, I feel that I am basically part of the Australians inside but in reality my visa is only temporary which makes me an international student and I just had to ask because I couldn't get into my first preference nor my second (Education like you White Rabbit) even though I would've got in if I was a local student. I'm just disappointed thats all, sorry if I sounded as if I was winging and wining.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
Dragon Fanatic said:
Then why not apply for Australian Citizenship? If you have lived here for 9 years. Or if you don't like the system go back to your place of birth. And I am saying that you shouldn't be given an equal chance because your not Australian, become an Australian Citizen and all this will go away. As i said before;
ok, ill just press this button and i'll become australian citizen!
fuck off, it's not that easy.
my cous been here since year 4 and he not permanent resident. he speaks perfect english and he prolly kicked ur ass in the hsc. he couldnt go to see his parents this year coz of conscription and thus the chance that the gov mite restrict him from comin bak to oz.
u dun kno how lucky we australian citizens are so shut the fuck up n giv dogbacon a break u dun kno shit

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Dragon Fanatic said:
I really hate that line. People who push it don't deserve to be part of this country if you're going to abuse the system like that. Imagine if all the great reformers of the past (Martin Luther King Jr, for example) had just "loved or left" their homes. This world would never make any progress and we would still be stuck in a society which discriminated against African Americans (well they still do, but not to the extent it once was).

If you don't love something, change it. People who put the effort in to make a difference where they see something that's not right are the ones who are taking us forward.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. It's easy for you to say love it or leave it because you're nicely comfortable in your little narrow-minded world where you've had everything in life provided for you. If you were the one in the other situation, I'm sure your perspective wouldn't be so ignorant.

Oh and "Australia love it or leave it" doesn't make any sense if you can't even be bothered to use some punctuation. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think it boils down to prejudice and misinformation that most people say stuff like that.

The universities are like the major airlines, they need international students/first class to survive. Do you really think, that your normal HECS and economy passengers pay to run the place. It provides something like 10% of the running costs, and thats all together. The priority IS placed upon local students, thats why there is a lower quota for International Students, plus they have to pay full fee, and most live alone and independently while studying.

HSC
jang said:
ok, ill just press this button and i'll become australian citizen!
fuck off, it's not that easy.
my cous been here since year 4 and he not permanent resident. he speaks perfect english and he prolly kicked ur ass in the hsc. he couldnt go to see his parents this year coz of conscription and thus the chance that the gov mite restrict him from comin bak to oz.
u dun kno how lucky we australian citizens are so shut the fuck up n giv dogbacon a break u dun kno shit
Listen mate dog bacon has been here 9 years and I am sure it doesnt take 9 years to get Australian either Permanent Residency or Citizenship.

Tell me something about your "cous" how hard has he tried to get Australian Permanent Residency or Citizenship.

And considering I am yet to do my HSC are fail to see how he could have kicked my arse, but he probably will. I never said anything about how International students are bad for our country or dumb or any of that so you are just putting words in my mouth. What I did say is that they shouldn't complain about any facet of the Uni system here because they do not have the right to.

HSC
gemita said:
I really hate that line. People who push it don't deserve to be part of this country if you're going to abuse the system like that. Imagine if all the great reformers of the past (Martin Luther King Jr, for example) had just "loved or left" their homes. This world would never make any progress and we would still be stuck in a society which discriminated against African Americans (well they still do, but not to the extent it once was).

If you don't love something, change it. People who put the effort in to make a difference where they see something that's not right are the ones who are taking us forward.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. It's easy for you to say love it or leave it because you're nicely comfortable in your little narrow-minded world where you've had everything in life provided for you. If you were the one in the other situation, I'm sure your perspective wouldn't be so ignorant.

Oh and "Australia love it or leave it" doesn't make any sense if you can't even be bothered to use some punctuation. :)
Ok you make some fair points, but you have blown it out of proportion. My view is that unless you are Australian, or are an Australian Citizen then you should not make judgements about our country and you should not complain as it is not your place to do so.

HSC
AsyLum said:
I think it boils down to prejudice and misinformation that most people say stuff like that.

The universities are like the major airlines, they need international students/first class to survive. Do you really think, that your normal HECS and economy passengers pay to run the place. It provides something like 10% of the running costs, and thats all together. The priority IS placed upon local students, thats why there is a lower quota for International Students, plus they have to pay full fee, and most live alone and independently while studying.
Thats all well and good but seriously what I am saying is don't complain about the full fee etc... Because you are being given a lifeline use it or lose it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Dragon Fanatic said:
Ok you make some fair points, but you have blown it out of proportion. My view is that unless you are Australian, or are an Australian Citizen then you should not make judgements about our country and you should not complain as it is not your place to do so.
And our point is that is just as bad as saying "You aint australian, shut the fuck up." This is a global world, whether you like it or not, everyone has a right to an opinion and has a free voice last time i checked.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dogbacon said:
Can someone tell me if theres ANY way i can see the cut-offs for
INTENATIONAL STUDENTS in the main round for any year??

i cant believe cut-offs for international students are higher than hecs/full-fee...
There is a quota placed upon international students as well, due to a) spots being in high demand, b) the catering for the australian citizens first and foremost c) to help keep the uni turning by only allowing those who have marks and money.

dogbacon

Osaka-ben
HSC
Dragon Fanatic said:
Listen mate dog bacon has been here 9 years and I am sure it doesnt take 9 years to get Australian either Permanent Residency or Citizenship.

Tell me something about your "cous" how hard has he tried to get Australian Permanent Residency or Citizenship.

And considering I am yet to do my HSC are fail to see how he could have kicked my arse, but he probably will. I never said anything about how International students are bad for our country or dumb or any of that so you are just putting words in my mouth. What I did say is that they shouldn't complain about any facet of the Uni system here because they do not have the right to.
Since when did the government state: "As long as you stay in Australia for (this particular number) of years, you are granted permanent residency"?

Do you even know the requirements to get one?

Looking around me yes, many get permanent residency in less than 9years, but that does not mean for all. My case is real, the government won't grant us permanent residency because we don't meet their requirements such as the financial status.

As AsyLum said, I think we do have the right of our opinion.
I also want to take back what I said about how I can't believe the international cut-offs were higher than hecs/full-fee... From what I heard I thought that international cut-offs were usually about 5points lower than hecs students. Obviously that wasn't the case for all of the courses, and I was upset at the time because my course was part of that list.

And also as jang said, I wish that instead of telling ppl like me to stop complaining (when I said I'm actually not complaining), you would write about how you appreciate the system.

My view is that unless you are Australian, or are an Australian Citizen then you should not make judgements about our country and you should not complain as it is not your place to do so.
An ignorant call.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I understand the difficulties of gaining permenant residency, as my brother-in-law, who is Canadian applied for it and it would have taken ages to get. In the end, he settled for a work visa, he and my sistet stayed here for 18 months got married and went back to Canada where permenant residency/citizenship is alot easier to obtain.

However, I have a fair few friends who are immigrants from the Republic of Ireland -- Southern Ireland, so they're not part of the UK and so it's harder for them -- all of whom have gained permenant residency.

I do sort of believe what Dragon says i.e. if you're technically an international student, then you should cough up the fees. I don't care how 'globalised' we may be getting, this is Australia and the Government should be looking after Australians and cuting their own citizens some slack before doing the same for Migrants. Its similar to the case only a few years back, when people who migrated to Australia recived concessionsin the form of subsidised housing, government support and help with employment, as well as 'back doors' so to speak to Citizenship. Such schemes should have been offered to Australian Citizens first, families on pensions should have been given the option to subsidised housing and help with employment if they relocated to regional centres, as well as first home buyers, before offering it to people overseas who were rich and really didn't need it to begin with, and would move back into a metropolitan centre as soon as the 5 years were up.

That all said, there certainly are 'special cases', such as dogbacon. The international full fee paying UAI should remain were it is, however, I reckon you should be allowed to enter through Local Entry/HECS. If you have been here since you were 8, and esspecially if you plan on doing something like Education, then it seems to me like you're genuine. Moreso if you plan on teacing in Australia.

Which Uni were you hoping for? Perhaps you could contact them? Or even a place like Wollongong, Mac ect, they seem to be a bit more flexible in reguards to entry. Esspecially Wollongong -- I don't go there, but I'd certainly support the place simply because they actually care about their students and its just a nice place.

SweetSeasons

HSC
I got in to a bach of science at UWS, after i finish I'm going to do a teaching degree so I can work as a science teacher in highschools. I'm pretty happy :) After i do my teaching degree I am gonna work full time for a year an dthen do a design and tech degree so I can teach both science and industrial arts.

mishka

HSC
N/A
White Rabbit said:
Good luck mate! What are ya gonna teach??
lol, i'm going to be a primary school teacher. i'm doing B Ed (Primary) at ACU Strathfield. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)