UAI confusion (1 Viewer)

eliseliselise

HSC
so. say if i was to get a scaled mark of 95 in ext 1 maths, a scaled mark of 95 in extension 2 maths, a scaled mark of 95 in adv+ext1+ext2 english, and a scaled mark of 95 in biology...

would my UAI be higher/lower/the same if i was to get

a scaled mark of 95 in CAFS, a scaled mark of 95 in general maths, a scaled mark of 95 in standard english, a scaled mark of 95 in textiles and design and a scaled mark of 95 in PDHPE???

do they take your subjects into consideration? or is it the scaling that makes everything fair?

i'm also wanting to know, if i was to get a RAW mark of 93% in 2unit maths, would that end up giving me a better mark than a raw 70% in 4unit maths???

THANKYOU.

Felix Jones

HSC
just chuck those in numbers in the sam uao calculator and see....not sure about the accuracy of the calculator.

eliseliselise

HSC
if one does the relaxing subjects and get 95 in each, their UAI will be 98.95

but if ones does the hardcore subjects, their UAI will be 99.90

oh, the scandal.

according to SAM anyway.

hmmm

me121

Premium Member
HSC
eliseliselise said:
so. say if i was to get a scaled mark of 95 in ext 1 maths, a scaled mark of 95 in extension 2 maths, a scaled mark of 95 in adv+ext1+ext2 english, and a scaled mark of 95 in biology...

would my UAI be higher/lower/the same if i was to get

a scaled mark of 95 in CAFS, a scaled mark of 95 in general maths, a scaled mark of 95 in standard english, a scaled mark of 95 in textiles and design and a scaled mark of 95 in PDHPE???
You would get the same UAI, as the marks have already been scaled, all that is done now is that they are added up and compared with the state to calcualte your UAI rank.

eliseliselise said:
do they take your subjects into consideration? or is it the scaling that makes everything fair?
The scaling algorithm does this. And you marks stated above have already been scaled. No further adjustments on the basis of subject are made.

eliseliselise said:
i'm also wanting to know, if i was to get a RAW mark of 93% in 2unit maths, would that end up giving me a better mark than a raw 70% in 4unit maths???
No body except a few people inside the Board can answer this. This is because, students do not get told their raw marks. You can get an idea of the relationship between raw and aligned marks via one of the stickied threads in the technical arena forum, and/or looking at my 2007 2u script (3u also here) (which I have marked fairly accurately).

If you were referring to aligned marks rather than raw marks, I believe you could use SAM to tell you the answer.

MФëỹ™ said:
just chuck those in numbers in the sam uao calculator and see....not sure about the accuracy of the calculator.
SAM would not help in the cases she stated.

eliseliselise said:

oh, the scandal.

according to SAM anyway.
Sound about right, but honestly, is there much difference between 99.90 and 98.95... I don't think so. Both will get you into almost any uni degree.

Last edited:

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
eliseliselise said:

oh, the scandal.

according to SAM anyway.
Just what are you calling 'relaxing'? I don't do Textiles or CAFS or any of those subjects you mentioned but I think as much work would go into achieving an excellent mark in those, with major projects and all, as in the 'hardcore' subjects of 4u math etc. Just because someone doesn't do Chemistry, extension Maths & Ext English doesn't mean they're less intelligent or the subjects are 'relaxing'. The HSC is designed to be stressful for everybody.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
fallenstar said:
Just what are you calling 'relaxing'? I don't do Textiles or CAFS or any of those subjects you mentioned but I think as much work would go into achieving an excellent mark in those, with major projects and all, as in the 'hardcore' subjects of 4u math etc. Just because someone doesn't do Chemistry, extension Maths & Ext English doesn't mean they're less intelligent or the subjects are 'relaxing'. The HSC is designed to be stressful for everybody.
I agree.

I did one of the lowest scaling subjects last year, and I think that it was up there with the top scaling subjects in terms of its difficulty. And with major projects, you end up spending a lot of time, and stress over it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)