UAI Cut-Offs: 75 up to 85 (1 Viewer)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
strongly disagree with the above post and anyway there is already something like that it's called tafe.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Evilo said:
keep in mind the UAI is based on supply and demand - so its not indicative of the quality of the university. Most people are just scared of moving out of syd/melb - hence low demand.
Incorrect. The cutoffs at ANU are pegged, that's why they can offer a single UAI across commerce, economics, arts and science.
Evilo said:
Also remember the standard hasnt changed, so if they dont maintain good marks - they're kicked out.
Good marks? You only get kicked out for failing more than half your subjects two semester in a row. That isn't "not getting good marks," that's "not bothering to go to any classes, do any work, hand in any assessments or show up to exams for a whole year." The standard isn't THAT high.

circusmind

HSC
neo o said:
Good marks? You only get kicked out for failing more than half your subjects two semester in a row. That isn't "not getting good marks," that's "not bothering to go to any classes, do any work, hand in any assessments or show up to exams for a whole year." The standard isn't THAT high.
Exactly. Once you've cleared the initial entry requirements, it's not hard to hold on and pass.

Evilo

HSC
neo - most people do honours for a reason. Also another reason why your acedemic transcript comes into play when getting a job.

Evilo

HSC
blacksunset said:
iv got a friend at college who got 99.whatever and is doing the PHB in philosohy.. and hes from sydney
I went to a private boys school on the north shore.
The DUX of this school is @ ANU, and so is the person with the 2nd highest mark.
(yes they were both above 99.95)

you fail.

Last edited:

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
jas0nt said:
ehh... after 1.5 years at ANU (roughly) i learnt that it's not that cracked up to be. for undergraduate most universities would be the same, i.e. if i was in sydney i'd go to a local uni. $100 says my employer won't give a rat's ass what uni i attended (for G8 uni's anyway).

for postgraduate (masters/phd), thats where anu really shines. but for undergrads... ehh...

i've learnt that there are 3 types of undeergraduate anu students:

- internationals
- locals who have lived in canberra all their lives
- kids from rural towns who either don't score that highly so they can't do what they want in sydney/melbourne, so they take advantage of anu's relatively low cutoffs and the prestige is just a "two birds with one stone" thing.

i've yet to meet one 99.xx'er from sydney/melbourne who's here to a course that has a high cutoff.
*waves*
hi there :) i'm a melbournite who moved to canberra specifically to do PhB. and i'm certainly not alone there... and PhB is a research degree, hence what ANU is best at.

well you are a townie, you wouldn't have met any PhB kids. but there are heaps of them at the colleges, as well as hundreds of arts/law students (UAI 95+) from the north shore.

blacksunset

HSC
Evilo said:
I went to a rich private boys school on the north shore.
The DUX of this school is @ ANU, and so is the person with the 2nd highest mark.
(yes they were both above 99.95)

you fail.
if u read jasont's post... you'll see i wasnt trying to compete with you, i was just pointing out that some people from sydney/melbourne have come to ANU to do a PhB.. so please. grow up. "you fail?" please.haha
and coming from a "rich" private boys school? thats really not a neceessary add on, coming from melbourne and living in an area dense with snobs and private schools, its been proven to me that whether u have money or not does not prove how well u are ging to do. the two best schools in melbourne are public, as they are selective schools.
there are some schools you pay 30,000+ to go to a year and their results are good, but not as good as the selective schools.
so maybe swallow your pride a tad

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
arrgh sorry i quoted the wrong person. probably the result of being super tired.
The post was directed at jasont.

EDIT - 4hrs sleep in 40hrs. i think ill STFU.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
So can someone clarify something for me..

The lowest accepted UAI or any course is now at least 85??
If so, this would mean some courses won't reach their cap and may have heaps of vacant spots. (just as a price floor creates an excess supply of goods)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
So can someone clarify something for me..

The lowest accepted UAI or any course is now at least 85??
If so, this would mean some courses won't reach their cap and may have heaps of vacant spots. (just as a price floor creates an excess supply of goods)
not really, it just means that now ANU expects to be able fill up its yearly intake of students without creating vacancies (or too many of them) with an accepted UAI of 85. Keep in mind that if they are overconfident in their ability to attract demand next year, to fill up the extra vacancies all they have to do is start giving offers to as many people under 85 as they need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)