UAI cutoff worries (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What must be understood is that CSP places MUST be filled prior to DFEE, and furthermore, if the CSP places aren't filled, then the universities will have to pay back the government for those spots. This is why late round offers exist, and why there are those who get in despite the UAI cutoff.

DFEE will usually only fill about 35% of the places at uni.

daveisb said:
Ah, in that case... what about a course like law at Sydney? :D
The myth which surrounds high UAI = smart people, comes from things like this. With these courses, and medicine I assume, there is a certain strand which goes, if you can't get into a Med course, you'll do Law, and so you'll find quite a number of people with UAI's of 95+ applying, because they don't want to 'waste' their UAI. So unless theres a massive change, courses like Law will remain fairly high.

This isn't to say that those who do choose it, are in fact of this strand, but its just one explanation for courses seemingly getting pushed up.

Last edited:

hellomike

HSC
A few important points have been outlined in the UAC book so have a flick through again and read some of them. CSP places are to be filled first than DFE.

In the end, it depends how popular a course is.

daveisb

HSC
Hmm, okay then. Thanks for all the help guys. You've all been extremely informative and great at helping me keep my sanity until the 17th. Now I just wish I brought my UAC guide with me before I left for China!

Cheers!

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
LOL

I throw my UAC book out ages ago thinking i will get about 93. =)

Me going China too! =O

daveisb

HSC
mitsui said:
LOL

I throw my UAC book out ages ago thinking i will get about 93. =)

Me going China too! =O
Haha, yeah... after I got my UAI I was all "Psssh, I won't be needing this anymore!" How foolish!

That sounds awesome! Where abouts in China are you travelling to?

halloween98

HSC
hey guys.

I got 61.10 in my UAI ( Didn't study)

i wnana do B Medical Science at UWS which needs 66. I'm getting getting disadvantage marks from EAS. Wat are my chances of getting in, and how many marks will i possibly get ?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
It depends on the Uni, some offer 5, others 10. Call them up and ask.
If you live enar UWS, I believe you also get 5 extra bonus pts.

If that is the case, you have a pretty good chance.

halloween98

HSC
hey....does anybody know how many disadvantage marks I would get at UWS

I live in Merrylands and go to a disadvantaged school

i'm really really curious

hellomike

HSC
I would like to ask a general question if that is ok; I can only assume but for example, if a course (established and consistent) had a UAI in the low 90's in 2005 and then its UAI cut-off dropped down considerably to say 85 last year, does it mean less demand or more places were offered?

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
hellomike said:
I would like to ask a general question if that is ok; I can only assume but for example, if a course (established and consistent) had a UAI in the low 90's in 2005 and then its UAI cut-off dropped down considerably to say 85 last year, does it mean less demand or more places were offered?
I think it can mean less demand or more places being offered or a combination of both.

volition

arr.
HSC
hellomike said:
You don't happen to be talking about B Eco at UNSW do ya? Because I know that they actually did open up a lot more places recently, which is why(at least partially) the cutoff for both eco and commerce dropped.

hellomike

HSC
No, not specifically but I took at look at what you said - funny enough the B Eco is like my example. You can apply for DFEE and the cut-off is 80.00? Is there a high demand for B. Eco at UNSW? I assume so...

hellomike

HSC
Hey Stazi, as I was going through old threads, I noticed someone post what they achieved individually in their first semester. Do the university you are applying for look at your individuals results for first and second semester or they just want to see your overall GPA and that's all they want to know?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
volition said:
You don't happen to be talking about B Eco at UNSW do ya? Because I know that they actually did open up a lot more places recently, which is why(at least partially) the cutoff for both eco and commerce dropped.
Exact same course I was thinking of when I read hellomike's post. I'm guessing the demand for B Eco at UNSW would be higher this year since they've opened more spaces. Just hope it doesnt affect my chances of doing this course (its my 2nd preference, BCom at UNSW being my 1st).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)