UAI for Fashion & Textiles (1 Viewer)

j'adore

Does anybody know the 2004 UAI requirement for Fashion & Textiles @ UTS or round about??? This is the first year a UAI is required.
Thanks!

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
you can have a look on the fashion + textiles website (http://www.dab.uts.edu.au/fashion/), but i couldn't find any numbers when i checked just then. the other design courses have pretty high entry requirements, but they've been dropping recently (vis comm was 92.65 last year, industrial was 85-ish, and interior was high 80's). i think that b design (fashion + textiles) is the only university course in australia in the area, so there'd be pretty high demand for it. so at a sort of rough estimate, i'd say high 80's to low/mid 90's.

SweetAngel86

HSC
The UAI for Fashion and Textiles at UTS was 90.30 last year. If your looking tostudy fashion design at uni, UNSW offers a bachelor of design were you can major in fashion, the UAI is pretty similar (89...). There are also private colleges, (FBI is a newish one, but only offers certificates in fashion design). Oh also KVB Institute of Design are now accepting application for Half Schoolarships for 2005.

Hope this helps. I want to get into the same course at UTS next year, so i wish you all the best of luck, I know how hard it is going to be! Let me know how you go and if you discover any more courses!

:)Paula

juni

juni
HSC
SweetAngel86 said:
The UAI for Fashion and Textiles at UTS was 90.30 last year. If your looking tostudy fashion design at uni, UNSW offers a bachelor of design were you can major in fashion, the UAI is pretty similar (89...). There are also private colleges, (FBI is a newish one, but only offers certificates in fashion design). Oh also KVB Institute of Design are now accepting application for Half Schoolarships for 2005.

Hope this helps. I want to get into the same course at UTS next year, so i wish you all the best of luck, I know how hard it is going to be! Let me know how you go and if you discover any more courses!

:)Paula
Actually, Bachelor of Design at UNSW isn't very 'fashion' but rather 'textiles.' It's not the degree to do to be a fashion designer ..

spillargroove

HSC
The easiest point to differ between UNSW and UTS is UNSW offer courses which are more Fine Arts based except for Digital Design of course. UTS are more creative and industry driven so obviously, Fashion and Textiles at UTS will prepare you be a fashion designer/assistant - whether you want to open your own label etc.

Superstar44

HSC
Even if you didn’t make the uai requirement there are alternatives to getting into UTS fashion and textiles course… if you are dedicated and really want to get into the course … I can advise you on what you can and should do…as I have experienced this process myself
Please don’t hesitate to contact me at all I’m happy and glad to help anyone who would like to know

it isn't easy though.. i mean its just like trying to get the high uai for the course.. but anyone who dreams of getting in.. i can give them some pointers of which directions to head for

Last edited:

FerretallicA

Lord of the 7 Strings
HSC
I speak not on my own behalf but in gathering information for a friend here. They've got their heart set on going to this private college called "Whitehouse" to do fashion design. My main concern is that after looking into the place it screams "Qantm" all over again, and having had bad experiences with private colleges in the past I really want her to make the right choice with where she goes the first time around. She has two main concerns.

Firstly UAI... and as you've suggested, there are other ways to get in. I suggested going a general Arts degree, getting a feel of uni life, then transferring at the end of the first year. If there are better ways to go about it I'm all ears because it's unlikely she'll get a UAI in the 90+ ballpark required for entry.

Secondly is the practical component. Whitehouse promotes itself largely through having "fashion shows" and shit like that at the end of the course. This also screams "Qantm" and after the dismal rort which was the "industry night" there I wonder is there anything like that UTS offers, or other practical hands-on highlights, which would make it more worthwhile going to UTS?

Last edited:

groovejet

HSC
N/A
The nature of studying Fashion/Textiles is of course the fact you don't have to have a degree to learn and be successful in learning Fashion design. It's even more difficult when there is a large number of private institutions which offer study in Fashion but I think if you want to be successful in the long term, you need to have a discipline of knowin the theoritical process behind Fashion. The practicality of studying Fashion is great but there is a lot of work that is done behind the scenes of drawing up the ideas and doing the mediocre things that takes night after night.

Some people hate university because of the fact you don't have to succumb to 3/4 years of study. But this only creates a discipline and you'll get used to knowing if you are having trouble, you can stay patient. Tell her she could do a Fine Arts degree at UNSW for example or take up B. Design at UNSW or even Tafe.

I'm sure she knows who Akira is and he studied at TAFE Ultimo a few years back.

FerretallicA

Lord of the 7 Strings
HSC
groovejet said:
The nature of studying Fashion/Textiles is of course the fact you don't have to have a degree to learn and be successful in learning Fashion design. It's even more difficult when there is a large number of private institutions which offer study in Fashion but I think if you want to be successful in the long term, you need to have a discipline of knowin the theoritical process behind Fashion. The practicality of studying Fashion is great but there is a lot of work that is done behind the scenes of drawing up the ideas and doing the mediocre things that takes night after night.

Some people hate university because of the fact you don't have to succumb to 3/4 years of study. But this only creates a discipline and you'll get used to knowing if you are having trouble, you can stay patient. Tell her she could do a Fine Arts degree at UNSW for example or take up B. Design at UNSW or even Tafe.

I'm sure she knows who Akira is and he studied at TAFE Ultimo a few years back.
That's all very well but it's not going to convince someone who "knows better". I was in the same boat when I was trying to get into game development (IT / programming). You don't NEED a degree to get in, but at the same time once you actually start looking for a job so many doors are closed before you even get to interview stage just based on the title printed on the framed piece of toilet paper on the wall. Now I really wish I'd gone to uni instead... it wouldn't guarantee I'd be any closer to where I wish I'd ended up but I know the private college route didn't help me at all, and while fashion design and programming are two totally different disciplines I think the path she's trying to take to make a career out of it is pretty similar to what I did.

The bottom line is I know how easy it is to go "yeah but... this is different" and think uni is a waste of time. If I'd actually had feedback from people doing courses like a Bachelor of Computer Science and seen the hands-on side of it I would've been a lot more inclined to take it up. Saying "you need the theory" or "it will give you options" isn't going to mean anything without the experience to appreciate a broader scope of applications.

It falls back to the original question... what practical/hands-on experience and education does it offer? Has anyone here actually DONE the course or just considered it?

groovejet

HSC
N/A
If you have considered or she has considered this programme, has she spoken to the Design Faculty about her options and what the course offers? Speak to Superstar44 about it because he is doing it this year.
The only real question is what does she want from a career in fashion.

juni

juni
HSC
I would also recommend going to university for the people that aspire to the highest level of whatever chosen field of interest. As obviously at higher levels of any industry, they would be really judgemental in choosing employers and a bachelors degree looks better than a diploma.
Just like the experience FerretallicA shared with us.

In other countries like the US and UK, it's a standard procedure/knowledge that a 4 yrs degree would enhance your chances of suriving in the competitive fashion field...

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showocc&idno=413&pageno=3

Notice the 'Diplomates face increased competition from graduates.' line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)