• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UAI Scaling: Advice from a 2003 Student (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Your UAI is 72.20

If you really did get 57.1 and are not making it up, then something must of happened that shouldn't have.

i.e. UAC stuffed something up, which I could say is close to impossible to have such a large marginal difference.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I absolutely swear to you that I got 57.1
And believe me I have tried many times to check it out and they keep giving me the runaround.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Yep, something is definitely wrong. Maybe you could stroll straight up to the UAC offices and demand an answer. :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What do you mean they give you the runaround.

This is a serious issue. Although it's quite late in the year already, ring them up and ask why it was like that.

There's no way such a large difference could be made.

Perhaps you can send us a screenshot of your UAI/HSC marks ?

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
There has to be a logical reason. I've already sent a letter to UAC asking what went on...no reply yet...
I honestly don';t know what to think.
Well, hopefully TAFE will be good to me.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If you achieved those HSC marks, there would be no other reason other than some error that occurred which could have resulted in that UAI.

i.e. you don't deserve to have gotten 57.1, I'd stronly recommend you follow it up as much as you can...

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I have - litterally from the time I got my filthy mark on the internet to a few days ago....(Having a UAC shut down break)

Leanne

HSC
geez.....the SAM result is soo totally different! I'd definately keep pushing with this missmacbeth, like the others have said- u dont deserve such a low mark!

hey- even if its too late this semester- u might be able to get into a uni next semester or next yr......wat course were u hoping to get into?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
MissMcBeth -

Did your UAI Advice Notice show Primary Industries as being included in your UAI?

The only way I can see your UAI being so low is if that TAFE course was left out (meaning your UAI was based on only 8 units, and not 10). It would only have been left out if you didn't sit the official HSC exam - and it appears as though you did.

Keep appealing, and let us know how it goes.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by honky tonk
So UAI's can still be calculated with only 8 units?
Yes, as long as you complete 10 units though. They won't calculate 8 units unless there was a reason to such as doing 2 categor B courses.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
one of my friends did subjects like s+c , greek , general maths , eng adv etc n still managed to get a uai of 95.05 cos she got a band 6 in all her subjects.

i don't think ur uai depends on wat subjects u do....it depends on how hard u work in individual subjects!!:)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
*braces himself to get flamed*

If you're aiming for a high UAI, I believe you should definitely take into account the scaling of each subject and taking the highest scaling subjects which you are CAPABLE of achieving a high result in (top 2 bands). There are many people who say stuff like "pick the subjects you like best and you'll naturally do well in them and be rewarded with a high uai" and if this is a perfect world, that should be the case. But this is not a perfect world and the harsh reality is you're competing against people who do high scaling subjects just because, well, they scale high and they do pretty well in them too.

I was pretty lucky because I liked and was good at many high scaling subjects, although I ABSOLUTELY HATED 4u maths I DO NOT REGRET doing it simply because it gave me that extra push needed to get into my desired course. I also did a low scaling subject purely out of interest (didn't count for uai as expected) and I don't regret that either because I learned many things which may be useful in the future (and got me the premier's trophy:)).

OK, enough rambling... my point is you have to decide whether the main purpose you're doing the hsc is for a high uai or to pursue your interests. If it's the latter, good on ya, follow your heart :), but if it's the former, then just remember that 2 YEARS ISN'T THAT LONG compared to all the time you have in uni and beyond to pursue your interests. Consider the HSC to be a sacrifice for the long run. Good Luck :)

Ok, flame away boys and girls!

Last edited:

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
screw u, i did latin and latin ext and they scaled like shit last year

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
well here's the 10 year plan we were told to you in yr 12:
(omg! our cat just slapped the hell out of a dog just then! It was like bark bark whimper run away! LOL...anyway)
Ahem..

I wanted to do Applied Science, Wildlife Science w/ Education
that requires 70.
Then afterwards
Vet Science
So in summary: A wildlife/exotics vet overseas. (I'm not into cats and dogs! I'd prefer to be operating on a tiger than a cat named Tiger....)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I did do the Primary Industries Exam. like I said before, we weren't even taught what was on the test, which burns me up.

In the exam it was about dairy stuff and chemicals,
and for the last two years we learned vet nurse skills (how to welcome a client into the building...crap stuff like that) and briefly, Animal Anatomy and Physiology.
Luckily though, but unlucky again, so many ppl complained about the fairness of the test and now the exam as of 2004 is actually about animals etc...but the bad news is, it won't count for a UAI...which makes me think, why is it optional like it was when it did count?

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I would say I chose subjects by my strengths, but I was in the dark about the unfair scaling thing - drama and art not considered academic etc. Although I do ask, how does spending 8am- 6:30pm each day and in between classes and on weekends slaving over your hsc artworks, and spending equal time on drama with the difficulty of keeping every move and motion tight, and moving the right facial muscles in order to make the monologue real, not add up to being academic and considered "bludge' subjects???
I ask any "geek" subject student to stand up and give a perfect 8-10min monologue or explain the in depth mood etc of their artwork before they start judging harshly of the arts.
(I think I've started a war....)

santaslayer

HSC
i chose subz that were to my strength, but they were all crap scaling...adv eng, eco, biz, 2URE, G maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)