UMAT Discussion (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Re: Umat

icecoffee said:
Ok, i'm just a little confused about this whole UMAT thing. Is the UMAT test only needed for: The University of NSW - Medicine and Optometry; Univerversity of Western Sydney - Medicine? Does that mean that if you want to do other health science subjects, that you don't need to sit for the UMAT?
You need to sit for the UMAT for other health sciences.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC

Zrap said:
It is for every UNI that has med etc
Except for JCU. You also need it for dent and a select few courses such as Pharmacy at Monash, Physio and Optometry in some places.

icecoffee

HSC

I don't actually know!!! It's a huge dilemma! But i'm just trying to keep all my options open, including those for health sciences. Say for psychology, would i need the UMAT?

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC

icecoffee said:
I don't actually know!!! It's a huge dilemma! But i'm just trying to keep all my options open, including those for health sciences. Say for psychology, would i need the UMAT?
Nah, you don't need UMAT for psychology because you do it through a BSc or BA which both don't require UMAT.

icecoffee

HSC

Ohh ok! Is there a list somewhere that states what courses require UMAT or is the only way to find out is by looking through all the uni booklets?

icecoffee

HSC

I suppose you're going to Adelaide? lol. Sorry to bombard you with questions but say for the University of NSW, is the UMAT needed only for those two courses (medicine and optometry)? I'm a total lostie...

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC

icecoffee said:
I suppose you're going to Adelaide? lol. Sorry to bombard you with questions but say for the University of NSW, is the UMAT needed only for those two courses (medicine and optometry)? I'm a total lostie...
Nah I'm not going to Adelaide and to answer your second question, I think so. :)

EDIT: Wait, I just realised I am going to Adelaide, I thought I was home in sweet old Sydney.

icecoffee

HSC

LOL, Adelaide was never an option for me!
So for universities within NSW, the UMAT test just doesn't seem all that worthwhile to me if i'm not planning to do those few courses...this is such a dilemma! ><

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC

icecoffee said:
LOL, Adelaide was never an option for me!
So for universities within NSW, the UMAT test just doesn't seem all that worthwhile to me if i'm not planning to do those few courses...this is such a dilemma! ><
Well do you have interest in Medicine or Optometry at all? If not then don't bother but if you do then you better sign up lest you regret it later.

Oh and Adelaide was the only option for me. :( My dream course is not offered in NSW (damn nsw unis! *shakes fist* =p).

icecoffee

HSC

Gah! maybe i should sign up just for the sake of it! but all that money!!!
Which course are you doing?

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC

icecoffee said:
Gah! maybe i should sign up just for the sake of it! but all that money!!!
Which course are you doing?
Well it is quite a bit of money so only do it if you really have some kind of interest in those courses. Don't do coz your parents tell you to do it like a lot of Asian kids do.

I'm doing dental surgery.

icecoffee

HSC

ohh dental surgery! at least you know what you want to do!!!
I'm asian but my parent's know very little about the UMAT surprisingly! It's such a lot of money and i have to pay the late registeration fee but at the same time i don't want to feel like i'm missing out on something vital. :confused:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC

icecoffee said:
ohh dental surgery! at least you know what you want to do!!!
I'm asian but my parent's know very little about the UMAT surprisingly! It's such a lot of money and i have to pay the late registeration fee but at the same time i don't want to feel like i'm missing out on something vital. :confused:
What are your interests? Something health related, science related, humanities etc?

If you have no idea at all and have the money to spare then go for it I guess.

icecoffee

HSC

Not so much the money to spare part (I wish! :)) but i'm open to all courses because i cannot decide!

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC

It seems that you aren't really THAT focused on your goal of getting into Medicine. A desperate student would use google =]

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC

icecoffee said:
Not so much the money to spare part (I wish! :)) but i'm open to all courses because i cannot decide!
You have a tough (well not really that tough but still...) decision to make. Good Luck, I hope you find something you'll enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)