Under the requirement- do i have any chance? (1 Viewer)

Atrophic

HSC
I want to get into ANU but i dont have the required enter of 75 for commerce. Do i stand any chance of getting it with 71.75?

If i knew this was going to happen, i would have tried more. Am i totally screwed now?

XDXD

HSC
hey guys!
im in a similar situation, i just got my ENTER, which is 94.6 :mad:
and yes ive been wanting to get into law forever.
is it possible to get into law with this enter somehow? =/
and oh my english raw score is 37 scaled to 35.97. so i dont think i'll get the lowered score from english.
argh
HELP!
and oh what courses are prestigious but require less than 95 anyways?

XDXD

HSC
Atrophic said:
I want to get into ANU but i dont have the required enter of 75 for commerce. Do i stand any chance of getting it with 71.75?

If i knew this was going to happen, i would have tried more. Am i totally screwed now?
and oh, im sorry but i dont think so, the gap is too wide since the ENTERS for 2009 are now low 80's.
ah well.. deakin, rmit is fine too =D

sstr

HSC
XDXD said:
hey guys!
im in a similar situation, i just got my ENTER, which is 94.6 :mad:
and yes ive been wanting to get into law forever.
is it possible to get into law with this enter somehow? =/
and oh my english raw score is 37 scaled to 35.97. so i dont think i'll get the lowered score from english.
argh
HELP!
and oh what courses are prestigious but require less than 95 anyways?
94.6 should get you in in the second round

XDXD

HSC
sstr said:
94.6 should get you in in the second round
ooh i sure do hope so! =D
so what do you reckon are my chances into getting in?
i really do have to pray hard now
dont want to do finance/economics =O
thanks for that anyway!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
You should both take the uniTEST on the 7th of January in Canberra. It's an aptitude test used to fill additional vacancies in programs for people who just missed out because of their UAI. The only ground to qualify to sit the test is a UAI over 70, and you both fit the bill.

You can get more information on the test here: ANU - Admission - SAS

---

XDXD, I highly suggest that you do arts, commerce, science or economics for a year then add law on in 2010. It won't take you any longer to finish as you'll be doing units from the degree you were going to combine with law anyway, you'll have a chance to settle into Canberra which you wouldn't have if you did your first year somewhere else and you'll have a more relaxed first year. With your UAI you will get into law so long as you maintain a credit average, which is very easy to do, particularly in arts.

sparkerasp

HSC
Atrophic said:
Do i stand any chance of getting it with 71.75?
How'd you get your UAI so soon? I thought it doesn't come out till 17/18th.

XDXD

HSC
neo o said:
You should both take the uniTEST on the 7th of January in Canberra. It's an aptitude test used to fill additional vacancies in programs for people who just missed out because of their UAI. The only ground to qualify to sit the test is a UAI over 70, and you both fit the bill.

You can get more information on the test here: ANU - Admission - SAS

---

XDXD, I highly suggest that you do arts, commerce, science or economics for a year then add law on in 2010. It won't take you any longer to finish as you'll be doing units from the degree you were going to combine with law anyway, you'll have a chance to settle into Canberra which you wouldn't have if you did your first year somewhere else and you'll have a more relaxed first year. With your UAI you will get into law so long as you maintain a credit average, which is very easy to do, particularly in arts.
thanks for that,
but is there a chance of recieving second round offers as previously stated?
and alternative entries, full fee? anything?
hmm, that sounds like a good idea though =D
would you reccomend finance? i was thinking of doing finance/law or commerce/law.
argh.
if only i got that .4, lol
but its fine =D

and oh, victorians recieve their enters today, 15th dec, unlike nsw which is 17th. hope that clarifies things =P

Atrophic

HSC
Thanks for the link Neo, it gives me back some hope. But would relying on that be the only option i have left?

I dont think i am applicable for the 5 bonus points scheme for students applying for the school of business with the requirement of doing well in both maths and english. i only scored 24.4 in English(27 before scaling) and 34.7 for methods (29 before scaling). This is out of 50 and it does not scale linearly. Apparently i need 60% or something.

Are there usually any vacancies for Commerce or any other subjects in ANU for that matter? i read that last year there were only around 292 offers made in the late round of which 60 positions offered were as a result of unitest compared to the 2,591 of the main round. The odds look pretty bad >.>.

I did not quite understand this bit in the link.

What Test results will I need to be considered?
To be eligible for an offer for a 'base degree' you will need to receive a pass in the Test, 50% in total. If your UAI/Entrance Rank is within 5 points of the cut off and you score in the top 20% you may receive an offer to a degree that has a higher cut off.

Does this imply that to not be instantly rejected i need to pass the test, but to have some chance i need be within 5 points of the degree i am applying for and i also need to score in the top 20% of all the people sitting the test?

And on another note, does anyone know if the associate program is worth doing? Its an 2 year program that credits towards one year of study in the linked degree(s). Im not quite sure how expensive it is, and there does not seem to be any entry requirements.

unco_wannabe

HSC
once the offers came out there were no more positions left for second round

ALSO - recently contacted the anu admissions office and they werent sure if they were going to have the unitest in 2009

heres the quote from their site

"More chances for entry to the ANU!

Sometimes capable students miss out on a place at the ANU because their entrance rank* is not what they expected.

So, as a way to provide greater access and equity, ANU is offering an extra way into many undergraduate degrees through uniTEST, a test of aptitude for university study. You can view sample questions at uniTEST - Home

Information regarding the 2009 Test is coming soon, please check this site again for updated information.

ANU also offers an Associate Degree program with ANU College that provides an alternative entry point for ANU undergraduate degrees. For more information please see ANU College - on the campus of The Australian National University.

If you would like further information on either of these entry schemes, please contact the Admissions Office on (02) 6125 5594 or email admiss.app@anu.edu.au

*For school-leavers, the Entrance Rank is the same as their UAI (or interstate equivalent). Applicants, including mature age applicants, with other acceptable qualifications are assigned an Entrance Rank depending on their performance in these qualifications."

Unitest is "Coming soon'

so if u just missed out on the 95 cut-off for law PRaY LIKE NO 2moro
but also pray for unitest to be on ...if worst comes to worse do Arts and GUN arts and u will be fine

XDXD

HSC
unco_wannabe said:
so if u just missed out on the 95 cut-off for law PRaY LIKE NO 2moro
but also pray for unitest to be on ...if worst comes to worse do Arts and GUN arts and u will be fine
noooooooooooo =[
now i feel terrible inside.
i'll pray though =D
got some hope
do you reckon writing an essay will improve the odds? the undergraduate 2009 student guide states, "high marks in english may improve an applicant's ranking for admission where the UAI is marginally below cut off. the anu college of law may make selective offers to school leavers whose UAI falls marginally below the cut off, on the basis of demonstrated aptitude or motivation to study law as evidenced by a brief statement of no more than one page."
well i know my english score is out of the picture
EN01 - English
GA 1: A
GA 2: A+
GA 3: A
Study Score: 37
so you reckon writing a l33t essay can get me that .4? lol =D

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
XDXD said:
noooooooooooo =[
now i feel terrible inside.
i'll pray though =D
got some hope
do you reckon writing an essay will improve the odds? the undergraduate 2009 student guide states, "high marks in english may improve an applicant's ranking for admission where the UAI is marginally below cut off. the anu college of law may make selective offers to school leavers whose UAI falls marginally below the cut off, on the basis of demonstrated aptitude or motivation to study law as evidenced by a brief statement of no more than one page."
well i know my english score is out of the picture
EN01 - English
GA 1: A
GA 2: A+
GA 3: A
Study Score: 37
so you reckon writing a l33t essay can get me that .4? lol =D
1) The uniTEST is on, the date is listed on the site as the 7/1/2009.

2) No, I don't think a l337 essay can. Do the uniTEST and failing that, transfer in. It's not hard to do, particularly with a UAI so close to the cutoff anyway.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
XDXD said:
ooh i sure do hope so! =D
so what do you reckon are my chances into getting in?
i really do have to pray hard now
dont want to do finance/economics =O
thanks for that anyway!
why not?

unco_wannabe

HSC
neo o said:
1) The uniTEST is on, the date is listed on the site as the 7/1/2009.

2) No, I don't think a l337 essay can. Do the uniTEST and failing that, transfer in. It's not hard to do, particularly with a UAI so close to the cutoff anyway.

where does it say the unitest is on?

XDXD

HSC
alright everybody thanks for the help =D

i think i'll do finance first year, then transfer into finance/law.

and oh finance/economics seems like a very boring combination. is it?
i'll like to do law, it widens your horizons and helps build up an analytical and intellectual mind. =P

Hercules6

HSC
Does anyone know why ANU never forgets your high school marks. It's such a stupid system. For example when applying for UQ, if you've done one year of tertiary study then they disregard your high school marks and assess your application solely on your GPA.
It seems odd that I can get offered a scholarship at UQ Law (which has an entrance rank of 96 (higher than ANU)), yet I have absolutely no prospect of getting into ANU law - viz - I Trucked around in high school not realizing the potential implications - ergo my current GPA of 6.5 wouldn't even come close to repairing the damage, thus ANU isn't an option for me.

Surely most must concede that it is a stupid system, ANU give you no chance to redeem your secondary exit score (something you got when you were 17) (And don't say spending a year or 2 doing a bridging course amounts to redemption when you've already proven yourself with tertiary study (law for that matter)

(apparently they even give it some weight to it when applying for the JD) - ???

Does anyone know how they (ANU) justify this?>>?

UNBELIEVABLE

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Unless you complete a degree, most unis have weighting between HSC marks and GPA don't they?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
XDXD said:
alright everybody thanks for the help =D

i think i'll do finance first year, then transfer into finance/law.

and oh finance/economics seems like a very boring combination. is it?
i'll like to do law, it widens your horizons and helps build up an analytical and intellectual mind. =P
every course is boring when you study it in depth mate.

law isn't known to be an exciting degree either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)