Underbelly banned in Victoria (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/tv--radi...underworld-show/2008/02/12/1202760256423.html
SMH said:
A Supreme Court judge has issued a suppression order banning Channel Nine from broadcasting the gangland TV series Underbelly - which was due to premiere nationally tomorrow - in Victoria or on the internet.

The network might now resort to an urgent appeal to overturn the order.

Justice Betty King's order prohibits the broadcast of the 13-part series until the conclusion of an upcoming murder trial. The accused murderer cannot be named.

Justice King said it was more important that the criminal justice process worked rather than that Channel Nine made a profit.

She made the order this morning after an application by senior Crown prosecutor Geoffrey Horgan, SC, to prohibit the showing of Underbelly, a graphic TV dramatisation of Melbourne's underworld war, until the end of the trial.

Mr Horgan said that, after viewing the series yesterday and overnight, the Crown felt the program contained material that would mean the defendant would not get a fair trial.
My question is what's to stop people (including the jury) downloading it with bit torrent etc? I think it's a bit of overkill. Most people would recognise it as a TV show based on true events and not a documentary documenting true events...

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
My question is what's to stop people (including the jury) downloading it with bit torrent etc? I think it's a bit of overkill. Most people would recognise it as a TV show based on true events and not a documentary documenting true events...
Yes, but not everyone will make that distinction. For a lot of people, "based on" is enough to convince them that they are seeing a dramatisation of true events, but that they actually happened in real life.

The point is that the guy is on trial for murder; he's innocent until proven guilty. But Underbelly probably establishes his guilt in its dramatisation regardless of whether or not it's real. The guy could be guilty as hell and the show could reflect it, but it would still be banned because the programme could subconsciously influence some people.

But if you ask me, NBN was just trying to make an Australian version of The Sopranos.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
It looks amazing.

I can't wait.

If I was in Victoria I'd just download it.

I think most jurors can separate what they see outside the courtroom from what happens inside.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
This seems like a good Aussie Action Drama.

I don't personally like Aussie action movies, but this

seems worth watching. Curious to know a bit more about this

underworld gangster crimes in our own country.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
The_highwayman said:
sorta sucks that nine will be missing out on all those potential ratings in melbourne though.
The law is more important than Nine's ratings. I suppose it does hurt them because they're currently the shittiest free-to-air station, but they should have know this was coming with Tony Mokbel still awaiting extradition and trial ...

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
smh said:
Within 30 minutes of its screening last night, the banned gangland television series Underbelly was available to download from illegal file sharing websites...By midnight Victorians were rushing to file sharing sites such as mininova and torrents2hell to download the first episode.

This morning over 600 people were already downloading the show from one site, but some users reported slow speeds due to the rush of people trying to obtain the file at the same time.

Some Victorian bars defied the ban in other ways by screening Underbelly via a satellite feed beamed from another state, risking being found in contempt of court.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/02/14/1202760433867.html

It was pretty obvious that this would happen, i guess the court will have to ask jurors if they have seen it or not.

williamc

HSC
I enjoyed the premier.

but wtf at the death of *weird guys name* (collosomo)

Evan11

HSC
It was so good seeing drama that actually was relevent to me, it didnt take place on suset boulevard, Alfonse was the prince of Lygon St, i mean ive eaten there like 6 times!! Thats just amazing, and only 12 or so years ago, fucked if i knew this was going on! Mad show.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
eps 1-8 are all online, I've seen the first 5.

The main characters are great actors, everyone else is shit. Show has its moments.

Thekirk

HSC
Azamakumar said:
eps 1-8 are all online, I've seen the first 5.

The main characters are great actors, everyone else is shit. Show has its moments.
I'm glad you have told everybody that you downloaded underbelly. I have reported you to the authorities for apprehension. You will need to give evidence about what online website you downloaded it from. I'm also going to tell channel nine that you are in breach of their piracy laws. Just so you know i've supplied them with your IP address.

Thanks for your co-operation.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Thekirk said:
I'm glad you have told everybody that you downloaded underbelly. I have reported you to the authorities for apprehension. You will need to give evidence about what online website you downloaded it from. I'm also going to tell channel nine that you are in breach of their piracy laws. Just so you know i've supplied them with your IP address.

Thanks for your co-operation.
I downloaded a pirated version of your mum last night, in HD.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
11, 12 and 13 are on the net now, but really crappy versions. No music (there's sound, but no music), some scenes without sound, some weird screen cuts and edits. It actually looks like something straight out of post-production.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)