UNE On-campus Accommodation (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Re: Whats accommadation like?

Duval has no more than 8 rooms per floor and there's one bathroom on each level; one toilet, one shower. Since we're the smallest college (the other colleges will tell you differently; the guy who showed us around Austin on Open Day last year tried to tell us that), there's no real problem with getting a shower or a toilet, even before formal shindigs. And has also been said, people do get up at random hours (on my floor it ranges from 5am to 1pm ... I'm the early riser, used to have to get up at 5 to go to work and I still haven't broken the habit), and also go to bed at random hours (between about 11:30 and 2am).

BlackDragon

HSC

How many of you went to UNE not knowing anyone? How did you find it? How long did it take you to settle in? Also, i'm interesting in outdoors kind of stuff like running and mountain biking. are there any clubs or organisations like that at une? how do you colleges differ in the kinds of clubs/services they provide?

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

I went to UNE not knowing anyone. And as it turns out, I went to school with someone in every single college (save Wright, but they never count).

In all honesty, after six months I still haven't fit in.

As for outdoors stuff, there's plenty of stuff going on. Guys get President's Trophy and the women get the Mary Bagnall Torphy for sport, which covers athletcs, swimming, cross country, badminton, water polo, squash, basketball, soccer, NERF, hockey, rock wallclimbing and the Hodgson Relay (cross country relay). Depends which college you go to as each college is strong in their own sports; St. Albert's and Robb have a pretty fierce rivalry as they both have their own union teams that will actually play teams from other towns.

There are a few clubs and organisations floating around, such as the Law Students' Society (lawgrad can tell you more) and the Economics Society (I'm the Minister for Marketing there so I can tell yuo plenty), but there's other clubs that float around such as a few college-speciifc ones that I'm not authorised to tell you about. Duval and our sister college, Drummond and Smith even field a 24-man team for the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic.

Colleges don't so much vary in terms of services provided, but their facilities differ. We've got a pool table and a gym while Austin has a bar. Mary White have a female-only wing while Wright Village is made up of fully self-contained villas. That's why it's best to check out Open Day if you can and take a look around the colleges. You'll find one that will click with you sooner or later; that's what happened with me - we checked out Austin to get a feel for what to expect but I didn't feel comfortable there at all, but when we went through Duval I knew straight away that this was the college I wanted to live in.

lawgrad1

HSC

I suppose I was pretty lucky. Not only did I know quite a few people across the various colleges, but there were another 3 people from my year starting out at the same college. However, I soon got to know a whole new bunch of people. Other than the usual homesickness, I settled in pretty quickly - there was enough stuff to do to keep me occupied.

UNE has a mountaineering club which is pretty popular. As BlackDragon also indicated, there's plenty of sporting activities on each week and each college tends to have their own speciality. The Law Students Society organises quite a few events throughout the year. There's a ball which is pretty popular and a couple of legal competitions scattered throughout the year. They also publish a number of books/guides and organise a couple of BBQs throughout the year. Earle Page College has a charity 'Coast Run' each year where a bunch of students run from Armidale to Coffs Harbour (it's not as hard as you would think - you don't have to ruun all the way). It's a really popular event in the college year and places are highly sought after.

I agree with BlackDragon's comments that the services at the colleges are pretty much the same, it's just their facilities that differ. Best thing would to go and have a look at the colleges on Open Day.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC

BlackDragon said:
How many of you went to UNE not knowing anyone? How did you find it? How long did it take you to settle in? Also, i'm interesting in outdoors kind of stuff like running and mountain biking. are there any clubs or organisations like that at une? how do you colleges differ in the kinds of clubs/services they provide?
I didn't know anyone at Austin college in my first year. By the end of o-week i had plenty of friends and moved out with 4 of them at the end of the year and we still live together three years later. Here is a link to sport UNE which runs many sports. http://www.une.edu.au/sportune/ At Austin there is the usual sports soccer, league, hockey etc and for an easier pace the table tennis and pool comps.

adhara

HSC

I only just found this thread, and it has been a great help just reading the replies. I am hopefully going to armidale and I have to move away from home and I was really worried about what to do. There are so many options.

Thanks for all the information.

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC

all in all ur going to go the college which appeals to u more...
im at austin and can honnestly say that after 2 weeks or so the size of ur room doesnt matter...the number of showers doesnt matter...its the ppl u live with and what u make of it...
i would avoid going to a specific college cos they have a bar (austin) or sinks in their rooms (alibies) or they have small floor numbers (dooval)...
pick one that appeals to you...
good luck...

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

That vibe is very hard to communicate online. We're all fiercely supporting our own college, so while I could say that Austin undeservedly gives themselves self-praise and proves nothing is sacred (Duval vs. Drummond is like Albies vs. Robb; holy ground, so HANDS OFF - and that goes for all of you), it wouldn't be very nice of me, despite being absolutely true.

The problem is that unless you've been to Open Day, you're not going to get a feel for the colleges, so you'll need to know what each college has going for them and you'll get some idea of what the atmosphere is like. Yes, Austin has a bar and they're the only college to have one, so obviously they like to have a drink. Duval, on the other hand, is much harder to describe since you have to experience it first-hand and Open Day doesn't cut it. We're the underdogs because we're easily the smallest college, we don't know the meaning of the words "give up", we're the college that doesn't surrender, even if we know it's a losing battle. Of course, others - notably Drummond and Austin - will tell you otherwise, but that's who we are. The underdogs.

BlackDragon

HSC

get this! i go to tas and my tutor is the wife of the head of earle page and we're getting a special tour this arvo. private and all! wooohoooooooo! its snoop time. (because we're having an end of year drinks thing at the masters lodge)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Get this: the Master of Earle Page is an ex-Duvallian. He was even President of the JCR in the late 1970s (1979 from memory). That's how good we are.

BlackDragon

HSC

get this: i love earle page! its such a beautiful and green college, love the dining room and the rooms are so warm. i know your on hols, but did anyone see us there? we were having heaps of food at the bbq area then walked around a bit.

i just applied to earle as well, what do you think my chances are of getting in? considering that i'm a pretty strong student, lots of community service and love sport. do most people apply around this time?

machine169

Anchorman
HSC

I'm glad you like Earl Page from what i have seen it is very nice. I have nothing against any of the colleges all have there advantages and faults. But what i do know is Austin won SFK this year again so forgive them if they sing there praises a little too loudly- deservedly. I will have to remember to post the DVD of it up so people can see it. I will praise Duval when they win it. I never knew Duval was classified with the 'underdog' cliche- but then again i was not given a sheet of paper showing the size of the different colleges on it. But members of my family who have gone to Duval have had a great time. As for me i am more concerned with seeing UNE become more known throughout Australia and getting on marketings back- the law faculty thinks they are a joke... Some interesting reading in todays SMH about the mediocrity of university education.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

BlackDragon, I don't think the college scrutinises your academic and social backgrounds - I don't have much of either and I got into Duval. Sport will be examined if you play one college's Big Sport (ie rugby union at Albies or Robb), but it's not a major thing.

And machine, come and see me when Duval win SFK next year. With luck, I'll be our rep

lawgrad1

HSC

BlackDragon: Glad that you like Earle Page. I'm not sure about this year, but generally places at EPC fill up pretty quickly. I would say that your chances of getting in are pretty good since you've applied before the UAIs etc come out. That being said, it all depends on how many rooms are available and how many have applied before you and will get in.

Further, it's always good to have a couple of extra sporting/cultural etc activities in your application - particularly if you're applying for a residential scholarship. However, it's not a necessity to getting into college. The main thing is that you get in early and are accepted into a course at UNE.

Additionally:

Congrats to Austin for winning this years SFK. I remember the nail-biting finale to last years SFK competition when Earle Page and Austin tied for 1st place overall.

Having finished my degree already, I think that UNE is slowly becoming more recognised around the country. Certainly a lot more people than I expected know about UNE when I tell them where I studied. However, there will always be the preference for marketing to do a bit more.

Jama@dooval

HSC

Hey.. I fully support all the people that say that colleges are no better then any other. Of course colleges are going to have strengths and weaknesses, you just have to play those to your advantage. Colleges are colleges: they all offer just about the same facilities (with minor variations).
The big thing I love about Duval is not about the big rooms, or the fact we can have our single beds change in to double beds, or that we only have 2 showers or whatever, I love that our college is a community. I feel that over the past 8 months of me being in college, I have made numerous new friends, and I would go further to say that college is a family. All colleges are highly competitive (as you could imagine), but you need to find the college that suits you.

and to "object in space", duval came 2nd this year in performance, would love to come 1st next year! :)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A

Black Dragon - If you've applied to EPC already you should get a place. EPC, although the largest college, has to turn away roughly 70-80 applicants each year. Plus, because we are now given room holds every holidays, there should be even more applicants (one would imagine).

So, welcome to EPC!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Jama@dooval said:
and to "object in space", duval came 2nd this year in performance, would love to come 1st next year! :)
Vote for me for next year's SFK rep and your heart's desire will come true. You know my name.

*Lozzie*

HSC

hey all i put in my collage application last week so what do u think my chances of getting in are??? i put austin then earle page then duval do you think i left it too late?? hope not

also i know each collage has a computer room and everything but does each room have internet access i heard they do and just wondering thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)