unhappy with working hours (1 Viewer)

carla

HSC
N/A
Hey y'all,

So, I work in a supermarket, and atm, I'm really unhappy with the hours I'm getting rostered.
As a casual, I guess its to be expected, but, y'know, it still sucks anyway.

My options, as far as I can see it are:
a) do nothing, and piss noone off
b) say something, risk pissing them off, and risk getting no shifts

As it stands, I always help them out whenever I can, any time they ring me "be here ASAP" I always do it, I've given them no reason to hate me, or anything like that...

Oh, and I've been there a bit over 6 months...

So, what d'you all think I should do, a) or b) (or, feel free to come up with other suggestions...but keep in mind, my manager is a woman, so sexing her is out of the picture!)

Rory

HSC
Just tell them that you're unhappy with the hours; if they get pissed off at you then it's probably not a wokrplace you really want to be part of, what use is it working somewhere when you're too afraid to speak up about something like this.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Just tell them. If you don't you'll be stuck working those hours and you might end up getting sick of it and quitting. I don't see why your manager would get pissed off for you wanting to change your hours, especially since you sound like one of the better employees. So yeah I'd just tell her and see what happens, most likely she'll be fine with it.

Skeeta

HSC
what are your reasons you arent happy with your hours?

i'm not saying this is the case, but people at my work are hired as casuals and then dont want to work on friday, saturday nights so they can go out. If you're a casual its either tough luck or suck up the bosses ass and get someone to cover your shifts

if its for uni or school or something then they're usualy more understanding

carla

HSC
N/A
My problem is that I'm not getting enough hours. I'm available, and willing to work, any time that I'm not at uni (I'm only there like 12 hours a week or something), and yet I get hardly any hours.

I hate the fact that theres skanky little 16 yr olds that get 18 hours a week, even though they screw them around something shocking, purely coz they're cheap, whereas I, a "good" employee, get 8 or 9, because I'm more expensive.

volition

arr.
HSC
I think it's worth your while to talk to them about getting more shifts, I don't think they'll completely cut you off just for asking.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
carla said:
I hate the fact that theres skanky little 16 yr olds that get 18 hours a week, even though they screw them around something shocking, purely coz they're cheap, whereas I, a "good" employee, get 8 or 9, because I'm more expensive.
You said it.

Maybe next time they call and say 'be here ASAP', say sorry, I'm busy or I've got plans... if you don't come to their beck & call, maybe they'll start to roster you on in advance knowing they can't call you up and get you in at the drop of a hat.

ohdato

HSC
Try ask for a contract (part timer), you'll have set hours (min 12 hours) whenever you can work. You'll get sick pay, annual leave and all that.

Only downside is you'll be paid less (check your union for pay-rates).

Don't be scared about management standing over you, thats what the Union is about. Most probably they'll be happy that you confronted them about your issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)