Uni Advice - Deakin or La Trobe? (1 Viewer)

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Which is better to study Law at?

Also, is Monash a good place, and is that why the ENTER is so much higher?
I expected Law @ Melbourne Uni to be really high because it's such a good place, but not Monash.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
well, if i may draw an analogy... Monash is the UNSW of Victoria, whereas UMelb is like USyd.

it's all supply & demand. ppl with high ENTERs/UAIs put down Monash/Melb/Usyd/UNSW more than the other unis.

btw, I think Deakin and La Trobe are abt the same. I, personally, would go for La Trobe coz the Head of Deakin Law is a dickhead who advocates torture :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Frigid said:
well, if i may draw an analogy... Monash is the UNSW of Victoria, whereas UMelb is like USyd.

it's all supply & demand. ppl with high ENTERs/UAIs put down Monash/Melb/Usyd/UNSW more than the other unis.

btw, I think Deakin and La Trobe are abt the same. I, personally, would go for La Trobe coz the Head of Deakin Law is a dickhead who advocates torture :)
Actually, I get the feeling that, in Victoria, most people would say that Melb is generally better than Monash. However, I find that if you go ask somebody on the streets in Sydney, there would probably be less agreement on which uni is better.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
but nowhere did i say Monash or UMelb were better than each other? i said one is similar to UNSW and the other USyd...

kartman

HSC
fnkychk said:
Which is better to study Law at?

Also, is Monash a good place, and is that why the ENTER is so much higher?
I expected Law @ Melbourne Uni to be really high because it's such a good place, but not Monash.
LOL How did you determine that Melb Uni is 'such a good place'?

For Law ENTER for UMelb is 99.40 and Monash Clayton 99.05. Obviosuly Umelb is higher due to the fact that its older than monash and the fact that its central location means that more people can get to it. Exactly the same situation as Usyd and UNSW so the analogy by frigid is pretty spot on. Umelb = Usyd and Monash = UNSW

Anyway it wont really matter which one of them you go to. All the big law firms only take grads from monash or umelb. id forget deakin/latrobe if you wanna get into the big firms..

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
kartman said:

For Law ENTER for UMelb is 99.40 and Monash Clayton 99.05. Obviosuly Umelb is higher due to the fact that its older than monash and the fact that its central location means that more people can get to it. Exactly the same situation as Usyd and UNSW so the analogy by frigid is pretty spot on. Umelb = Usyd and Monash = UNSW
Thge UAI or ENTER for UNSW has been floating around 99.35 to 99.15 in the last 5 years. Usyd law has mysteriously been 99.6 for the past few years...also oddly usyd law uai pretty much stays the same in the late round. Very odd.

During the late 90s unsw had a higher uai than usyd. I don't think this pleased the establishment at usyd at all.

Last edited:

kartman

HSC
erawamai said:
During the late 90s unsw had a higher uai than usyd. I don't think this pleased the establishment at usyd at all.
LOL. Yeah I think that UMelb and USyd are too caught up in trying to keep up their image and so called 'prestige'. Go Monash and UNSW :)

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
How did you determine that Melb Uni is 'such a good place'?
Um...it's number 1 in Australia and top 10 in the world, as voted by whoever. You're just biased because you're at Monash.

All the big law firms only take grads from monash or umelb. id forget deakin/latrobe if you wanna get into the big firms..
I don't want to be a lawyer, I want to be a forensic psychologist.

kartman

HSC
fnkychk said:
Um...it's number 1 in Australia and top 10 in the world, as voted by whoever. You're just biased because you're at Monash.

I don't want to be a lawyer, I want to be a forensic psychologist.
no.19 actually. anyway its utter stupidity if you think one uni is better than the other for undergrad studies solely based on rankings. the rankings are based on research. just the fact that you dont even know who publishes the rankings shows how much you know about that:rolleyes:

just cuase monash was ranked 33 in the world and usyd 38 does that mean monash is better at all undergrad degrees compared to usyd?

Anyway what the hell is wrong with you? Your orginal question was 'Which is better to study Law at?' and i said that they are both good if you want to do law and that if you want to work at big firms right outta uni then stick to eitehr melb or monash.

anyway if you wanna base you uni decision solely on a list of ranking then god help you. I had a enter good enoguh to get into any course i wanted to do.
After talking to lots of people i chose monash as i heard that engineering was taught much better here than at unimelb. consequentially the enter for monash clayton eng also ended up being the highest in the state.

the same way ive heard that commerce and medicine is much better over at melb uni and that law is taught very well at monash. infact a girl i know got into monash law, then transfered to umelb cuase she thought it would be much better and is know trying to desperately transfer back to monash as she found it so much better there.

so in conclusion, there are courses for which melb uni is the best in the state and the same way other courses for which monash is the best. go to open days and talk to heaps of people to get a good idea. but yeah, if you wanna be a sheep go ahead and use your rankings cuase thats all you deserve

goodluck

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
no.19 actually. anyway its utter stupidity if you think one uni is better than the other for undergrad studies solely based on rankings. the rankings are based on research. just the fact that you dont even know who publishes the rankings shows how much you know about that
Haha, I knew you'd mention that. But you can't deny that Uni of Melb IS good.

just cuase monash was ranked 33 in the world and usyd 38 does that mean monash is better at all undergrad degrees compared to usyd?
It means that demand would likely be higher for monash than usyd (if they were in the same state), therefore Monash courses would have higher enters for their usyd parallel, which is what led me to expect the Uni Melb. would have a higher ENTER in Law.

I had a enter good enoguh to get into any course i wanted to do.
Yes, we can all see what you got. Milk it.

I can understand your point of view, but when it comes to reputation, Uni of Melb is best.

kartman

HSC
But you can't deny that Uni of Melb IS good.
When did I every deny that Umelb is good? Its one of the best unis in the country. All I said was that there are some courses which are better taught at Monash and vice versa. The reputation of both umelb and monash are the reasons why the enters for a high demand course such as law are above 99.

which is what led me to expect the Uni Melb. would have a higher ENTER in Law
Umelb does have a higher ENTER for Law than monash

It means that demand would likely be higher for monash than usyd (if they were in the same state), therefore Monash courses would have higher enters for their usyd parallel,
This is where your logic if flawed. Usyd was ranked higher than UNSW yet many people will agree that Commerce is taught better at UNSW and hence the UAI is higher at UNSW (95.00) compared to USYD (93.20).

I can understand your point of view, but when it comes to reputation, Uni of Melb is best.
again, best reputation for what? Commerce, medicine, arts? Yes. Engineering, Law I wouldnt agree.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
You're over-dissecting my words.
You never said Uni Melb wasn't good, but you seem frustrated that I don't have as good a feeling about YOUR university.
Yes, Uni Melb does have a higher ENTER for law...I never said it did or didn't, just that I expected it.

Melbourne does have a great reputation overall, not in any one area.

All I said was that there are some courses which are better taught at Monash and vice versa.
Although that's a matter of opinion, and I don't know enough to have one, you're probably right.

kartman

HSC
You're over-dissecting my words.
You never said Uni Melb wasn't good, but you seem frustrated that I don't have as good a feeling about YOUR university.
I couldnt care less cause if I did i wouldnt be sitting at monash, id be at sandstone unimelb!. All i was trying to do is help you look past the whole ranking system and persuade you to go and find out for yourself which uni is better for the course you want to do. go ask current and past student and staff from both unis and see what they tell you.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
kartman said:

Anyway it wont really matter which one of them you go to. All the big law firms only take grads from monash or umelb. id forget deakin/latrobe if you wanna get into the big firms..
Well... at least no ranking can ever consistently rank UNSW above USyd or vice-versa. They all can with Melb and Monash. And then you're gonna say rankings are unreliable. Well let's all rely on what we kids have to say here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)