Uni by Distance? (1 Viewer)

M

MichelleV

Hi there. I was wondering if anybody here was doing Uni by distance. I'm currently looking into doing my coarse by distance, but I wanted to get some peoples opinions on distance first...

-Firstly, who did you do your degree with?
-Did you find that it was easy enough to follow their systems? Like, everything you were meant to be doing was on time, and you didn't have difficulty understanding/completing work on time?
-Did you ever have any issues with completing the work, and if so, was it easy to get in contact with the uni and have it solved?
-If you worked as well, did you find that this was easy to manage with the distance coarse?

Also, does anybody know if it's possible to complete distance for a year or two and then transfer to a different Uni full/part time? Does this just depend on the completion of the units like at most Unis?

Anything else you have to say would also be truly appreciated.

(Also; I'm currently looking at UNE and the Open University in particular, so if anybody has had experience with them, that would be super appreciated.)

HSC
Im actually planning to do uni by distance at UNE also. I am more confident about the whole "distance education" concept as 2 of my HSC subjects were done solely that way. However, my uncle did a course through UNE (by distance) and he said it was the best set up he had seen and the online system was easy to follow (he had also done distance with SCU and said UNE was better). The biggest factor is self motivation, so if you have trouble with that then distance is definitely not what you want to do.

I have researched quite heavily into UNE's facilities and I believe they are quite capable of catering for distance students; they have a library you can order books from (they mail them to you, etc) and you can get in contact with each unit teacher via email, phone and so on. Also don't forget you will have intensive schooling for each unit in the middle of each trimester which you must attend (if you cant you are not allowed to do the unit). Their staff are great, I have been constantly in contact with them over the past couple of months and they have always been helpful, friendly and answered all my questions.

Lastly, in regards to your question about transferring units, I believe it does rely on what units you have completed so that you can be granted Advanced Standing for them if you were to enter another course.

M

MichelleV

Excellent, thank you so much :)
I was trying to get in contact with them over the web, but it kept giving me errors; So I'm glad you were able to answer some of my questions. I might try ringing them later today :)

I'm motivated to do Uni by distance, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't falling into something that wasn't good.

Again, thank you very much :)

boris

Banned
HSC
i do Civil Engineering by distance its alright i guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)